AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm refresh edition) *** 2/25 back at $85 shipped

Now the #1 best seller on Amazon. As long as this is available, I don't see any point to a quad core Zen 3 that has been rumored as a 3300x.

How would this work in a iRacing rig? iRacing really likes the single threaded clock speed, should I just go Intel?

I would be upgrading from the PC I "borrowed" from the wife - Lenovo i5-4460 with a GT720 video card.

Last edited:
I have one at 4.0ghz @ 1.15v on a cheap Biostar B350 Bitcoin board that I replaced a busted capacitor on.

Yep, so AMD refunded my purchase, the CPU was DOA basically. New one is on its way and should arrive Wednesday. Excited by this super budget chip!

How would this work in a iRacing rig? iRacing really likes the single threaded clock speed, should I just go Intel?

I would be upgrading from the PC I "borrowed" from the wife - Lenovo i5-4460 with a GT720 video card.

You need to research your setup parts. The GT720 is super weak for a GPU, just about anything I'd imagine would be better. So if you went with this 1600AF chip, you'd need to consider GPU, etc. are you planning a build? because that sounds to me like what you are getting at. Good luck!

I have one at 4.0ghz @ 1.15v on a cheap Biostar B350 Bitcoin board that I replaced a busted capacitor on.

Noice! What kinda of multiplier and ram speeds are you using? I have an H80 loop I could put on this thing, technically but originally wasn't planning on it.

How did you do that? I cannot go less than 1.3v on my R5 2600 and X370 Taichi mainboard.

Noice! What kinda of multiplier and ram speeds are you using? I have an H80 loop I could put on this thing, technically but originally wasn't planning on it.
Just 2666mhz because it replace a non AF 1600. Multiplier at 40x

Just 2666mhz because it replace a non AF 1600. Multiplier at 40x

Ah, gotcha. I picked up some 3200 DDR4 to replace my 1600 DDR3. Looking forward to this budget bump! One day, I'll explain how I'm doing all this for $83 lol (once its working that is).

Finally up and running! 2 days, man this is a zippy little chip! Highly impressed coming from my FX8320.

1600 AF - $85
Ballistic 16GB - $78
Motherboard - $75

Received CPU as a gift, Amazon was giving away a free $70 credit for sign up for their credit card so why not so that brings total upgrade cost for me to $83. Best $83 bucks I've ever spent to update and I've been around since the old Leading Edge 8088 days. Impressive!

Back