AMD Ryzen 1800X temperature reading - subtract 20C???

Okay, so I have my Ryzen 1800X fully up, armed, and operational.

And in the BIOS, the CPU temp is reading as 60C? Is this the normal temp? I read that AMD says we're supposed to take 20C off the reading to get the true reading?

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/56677/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-1800x-reporting-temps-incorrectly/index.html

I have the Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 CPU cooler, Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming K7 motherboard, and running 16 GB RAM at 3200. The case is the Corsair 760T. I have not had a chance to install the beta BIOS release from Gigabyte (still running original firmware), but having the hardest time updating the beta firmware (keeps failing).

Yeah the offset is done to allow the fans to push more instead. For the R7 it is only the 1800x and 1700x which use this.

Yeah the offset is done to allow the fans to push more instead. For the R7 it is only the 1800x and 1700x which use this.

So this behavior is intentional? Does that mean they plan to keep it that way? It just seems strange to subtract 20C to realize the actual temp. At least 40C sounds more reasonable than 60C just sitting in the BIOS.

My BIOS reads (what I think is) the correct temp, showing about 35C (w/ AIO water cooler). In Windows, even in AMD's own Ryzen Master app, it shows as 55C.

My BIOS reads (what I think is) the correct temp, showing about 35C (w/ AIO water cooler). In Windows, even in AMD's own Ryzen Master app, it shows as 55C.
Since I know you sleep your system, you might be experiencing the same anomaly that I am. It's not the "Sleep Bug", but this one seems to be different... and better lol
After I've woken my system up once, the "44C" temp that the diagnostic display usually says, now says 24C. Highest I've gotten it under the stress test is 39C though...
However, I still don't know what to believe. I mean, I know that there's the +20C offset, and that makes sense when I've freshly rebooted the system since under AIDA Stress Test load (at stock) it reads 70C. I'm using a really low end Scythe Katana 3 cooler with only a 90mm fan running ~1500RPM (IOW, slow), but what perplexes me is the sheer speed that the temp updates on that diagnostic display that gives me pause! Like when I'm running a test, the moment I hit F5 to start them the reading jumps from 44C to 54C, then falls briskly back down to 44C once its done.

Again, I'm running stock and also running a tiny cooler, but if that 35C of yours is the idle temp in the BIOS, well that's what MINE says as well. lol But also means no matter what way you slice it, things are weird. Because my ambient temp is around 22C where my computer sits. That means if 35C is accurate and actual, my little cooler is impressively efficient. If my system is running 24C idling on the desktop (depending on what yours reads), then Ryzen is damn energy efficient! That's only 2C over ambient! I have a thermal sensor crammed under the Chipset heatsink, with a fan blowing on it, and it reads 25.1C right now (it reads 38C w/o a fan blowing on it).

So yea, just some junkfood for thought...
Note: onlysublime please ignore this post, it's just me speculating and rambling. You are indeed supposed to subtract 20C from what Ryzen Master tells you, so base your temps off that. I'm just overthinking, no doubt. :p

Its kinda funny to see all these temperature jumping concerns. I have a g3258 here that jumps all around and reads like garbage like the previous poster. When I open a benchmarking program my temperature goes from 35 to 55 immediatedly, no climb and then drops back to 35 as soon as the test ends. And it never reads more than 55. It's a pretty weird chip. I always figured I was alone.

This honestly might be common for all I know. I'm just a dedicated AMD user, so all my experiences stem from it, since the dawn of the Athlon Classic I had gotten when they debuted at 500, 550 (what I got) and 600Mhz. lol Only, back then we didn't have core temp readings, let alone ANY temp readings!! Still, point is, AMD's have always been a progressive and slow update, so this instant throttle response by the temp sensor has perhaps simply caught me off guard :happy:

So here is what CPUID HWMonitor is reporting... So just to be clear, I'm supposed to subtract 20C off the temps... I haven't used this kind of software in awhile so if there's a kind soul out there with an 1800X that can chime in on my numbers and whether they're normal for an 1800X, I would very much appreciate it. Or anyone that can chime in on how to read this data.

To be clear, this was taken after a Handbrake encode (so amazingly fast on the 1800X compared to my previous rig!!!).

2mydl38.jpg

So here is what CPUID HWMonitor is reporting... So just to be clear, I'm supposed to subtract 20C off the temps... I haven't used this kind of software in awhile so if there's a kind soul out there with an 1800X that can chime in on my numbers and whether they're normal for an 1800X, I would very much appreciate it. Or anyone that can chime in on how to read this data.

To be clear, this was taken after a Handbrake encode (so amazingly fast on the 1800X compared to my previous rig!!!).

2mydl38.jpg
If you downloaded HW Monitor within the last couple days, I'm PRETTY sure that it properly supports Ryzen. In other words NO you do not need to subtract anything from it's readings.

Easiest way to tell would be to have it AND Ryzen Master running, and compare the temp numbers. As we know they need to be subtracted from in what Ryzen Master reports.

Then that means I need to figure out what's happening with my system. Because my numbers are higher than most people out there with an 1800X. Crap.

Okay, so I have my Ryzen 1800X fully up, armed, and operational.

And in the BIOS, the CPU temp is reading as 60C? Is this the normal temp? I read that AMD says we're supposed to take 20C off the reading to get the true reading?

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/56677/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-1800x-reporting-temps-incorrectly/index.html

I have the Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 CPU cooler, Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming K7 motherboard, and running 16 GB RAM at 3200. The case is the Corsair 760T. I have not had a chance to install the beta BIOS release from Gigabyte (still running original firmware), but having the hardest time updating the beta firmware (keeps failing).

I hope you are not trying to install the bios update inside of Windows. The latest bios update should have a fix for the offset but, I do not have that board so I do not know for sure. Also, you will see +20 on the temps for the 1700X and 1800X.

Edit: Oh, and I have the Noctua ND-D15 and it works well.

I hope you are not trying to install the bios update inside of Windows. The latest bios update should have a fix for the offset but, I do not have that board so I do not know for sure. Also, you will see +20 on the temps for the 1700X and 1800X.

Edit: Oh, and I have the Noctua ND-D15 and it works well.

So which CPU do you have and what temps are you getting?

I've been flashing in Windows for quite awhile now. Especially with Gigabyte with the dual BIOS setup and the Gigabyte Windows utility to flash the BIOS. I don't have a drive A. In the BIOS, it keeps asking for drive A

So which CPU do you have and what temps are you getting?

I've been flashing in Windows for quite awhile now. Especially with Gigabyte with the dual BIOS setup and the Gigabyte Windows utility to flash the BIOS. I don't have a drive A. In the BIOS, it keeps asking for drive A

I have a 1700X at home in an Asus Prime X370 Pro. The 1700 I have at work does not have the offset, just the X version. I never flash a motherboard bios in Windows, only from within the bios itself and always after I set everything to stock speeds. (The exception is a Dell or HP machine that only has a Windows based bios installer.) I have had Gigabyte boards before though and you can install the bios off a usb flash drive.

Note: onlysublime please ignore this post, it's just me speculating and rambling. You are indeed supposed to subtract 20C from what Ryzen Master tells you, so base your temps off that. I'm just overthinking, no doubt. :p

Okay, got around to installing Ryzen Master and its readings do match my CPUID HWMonitor readings. So I do have to subtract 20C. At least that gives me peace of mind. I was about to take my system apart and clean off the thermal compound that came with the Noctua and reapply it.

I was encoding videos with Handbrake for a few hours and the CPU settled in at around 81C which seemed really high but if it's actually 61C, that gives me some peace of mind.

And I'll flash the BIOS with a thumbdrive somewhere. I'm sure I have an old one that's still FAT32 somewhere.

I have a 1700X at home in an Asus Prime X370 Pro. The 1700 I have at work does not have the offset, just the X version. I never flash a motherboard bios in Windows, only from within the bios itself and always after I set everything to stock speeds. (The exception is a Dell or HP machine that only has a Windows based bios installer.) I have had Gigabyte boards before though and you can install the bios off a usb flash drive.
Funnily enough... my FM2+ system I installed from the BIOS, first BIOS update I was making, nothing overclocked... Bricked the board :\ Why or how, I don't know. I left it sit powered on for many many minutes after, but twas its fate I guess.

Okay, got around to installing Ryzen Master and its readings do match my CPUID HWMonitor readings. So I do have to subtract 20C. At least that gives me peace of mind. I was about to take my system apart and clean off the thermal compound that came with the Noctua and reapply it.

I was encoding videos with Handbrake for a few hours and the CPU settled in at around 81C which seemed really high but if it's actually 61C, that gives me some peace of mind.

Well ugh... I'll have to see if I can find out if it was HWMonitor that was updated for Ryzen cuz I too ran it last night and mine matched up as well. However, mine was under my temp-reading "sleep bug", which resulted in my onboard diagnostic port reading 24C and those two reading 44C. I'll go restart the system so it's reading "normal" and report back...

Back