AMD RX 480 Red Devil Reviews

Seems to have a similar TDP limit to the reference card. Out of the box it's only going to be marginally faster than reference. Sapphire is still the faster card.

TDP limits appear to be:
Reference -165W
PowerColor - 170W
ASUS - 175W
Sapphire - 225W

And performance seems to line up identically.

what the fuck is the point of putting a damn 8 pin on there if you are not going to open up the power envelope. Sapphire seems to have pulled of the best trick with the dual bios switch that lifts the power envelope to 210w and keeps the boost clocks steady out of the box.

So I guess you have to really tweak these. Are these guys upping the power limit via wattman? or these are hard locked in the bios to stay at that wattage.

LOL at that logo upside down. WTF I am seriously shaking my head right now. That is such a stupid mistake and can't believe they didn't notice lol

Seems to have a similar TDP limit to the reference card. Out of the box it's only going to be marginally faster than reference. Sapphire is still the faster card.

TDP limits appear to be:
Reference -165W
PowerColor - 170W
ASUS - 175W
Sapphire - 225W

And performance seems to line up identically.

sapphire with bios switch set to boost has max tdp of 210 according to Sapphire ED in the PCper video.

This thing is mostly looks, but the cooler does a pretty damn good job of cooling and being real quiet. The guru review was man, so damn redundant.

I knew this one wasn't going anywhere sadly..

In the video above if you watched it you would have seen that it was performing much better than reference card in alot of the games it seemed. Like 8-10fps better in some games. It seems to be sustaining boost clocks better and I think that is the entire point of the cards but they should have higher power limits in the bios if the card can do 225w. I guess we have to wait for real reviews to do manual overclocking. I am surprised the cards are already up for sales and no major websites have done reviews on sapphire and powercolor other than you tube videos. TPU did Asus review and it seems like they got an early press sample, ASUS must still be tweaking this thing since its not even in retail channel yet, don't know why they would send a card that they won't release until mid august to be tested.

Seems like MSI/ASUS/GIGABYTE releasing cards in august holding rx480 back may be they want to sell more gtx 1060s. While sapphire and powercolor seem to be coming out with cards faster and they are already listed. XFX seems to be a no show so far, may be they did fuck up the pcb design as there were reports it was sucking too much power through PCI-e, lol.

In the video above if you watched it you would have seen that it was performing much better than reference card in alot of the games it seemed. Like 8-10fps better in some games. It seems to be sustaining boost clocks better and I think that is the entire point of the cards but they should have higher power limits in the bios if the card can do 225w. I guess we have to wait for real reviews to do manual overclocking. I am surprised the cards are already up for sales and no major websites have done reviews on sapphire and powercolor other than you tube videos. TPU did Asus review and it seems like they got an early press sample, ASUS must still be tweaking this thing since its not even in retail channel yet, don't know why they would send a card that they won't release until mid august to be tested.

Seems like MSI/ASUS/GIGABYTE releasing cards in august holding rx480 back may be they want to sell more gtx 1060s. While sapphire and powercolor seem to be coming out with cards faster and they are already listed. XFX seems to be a no show so far, may be they did fuck up the pcb design as there were reports it was sucking too much power through PCI-e, lol.

Like you said we will have to wait for real reviews, but perhaps I'm spoiled by what I have seen come from the Nitro.

I think the Devil cooler is probably the best so far given it is so long, and just exactly what she said!

Like you said we will have to wait for real reviews, but perhaps I'm spoiled by what I have seen come from the Nitro.

Spoiled in what way exactly.........are you disappointed as a potential 480 buyer or as just another nVidia sycophant?

sapphire with bios switch set to boost has max tdp of 210 according to Sapphire ED in the PCper video.

His exact words were "215, 220" at the 4:07 mark in that video. That's where it hovers at. It can hit 225W max. The reference hovers at 160-165, but hits 170 absolute max.

In the video above if you watched it you would have seen that it was performing much better than reference card in alot of the games it seemed. Like 8-10fps better in some games.

It was 8-10fps better in Witcher 3 (which is amazing in itself). But it was 3-4fps in everything else.

Last edited:
Im wondering if sapphire is getting the pick of the litter when it comes to polaris chips, especially since they were once some kinf of an oem manufacturer for amd.

Im wondering if sapphire is getting the pick of the litter when it comes to polaris chips, especially since they were once some kinf of an oem manufacturer for amd.

Nope, just providing more power to the card out of the box, rather than asking the purchaser to raise power limit in Wattman. Ed states in the video that they do this because most of their customers are mainstream gamers who don't want to deal with overclocking, so they want to provide all of that performance out of the box.

nope, they just have a higher power draw enabled through bios while other cards have to be manually tweaked. So far I have seen no reviewer take the serious effort to overclock. TPU is horrible at overclock testing at default settings without extra tweaks.

I wonder if you can use Watmon on the Sapphire Nitro RX 480? Red Devil is a little bit disappointing.

I wonder if you can use Watmon on the Sapphire Nitro RX 480? Red Devil is a little bit disappointing.

you should be able to use wattman on anything I assume. I doubt they are locking these cards down not to be overclocked. Sapphire gave both options max power draw and lower power draw.

I was expecting a lot more of this card. Other than noise, this is really underwhelming. Nitro is a way better card. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone wanting a 480.

Guru 3D have their review up PowerColor Radeon RX 480 RED DEVIL review

they got it to 1375.

but if you see the reviews. It doesn't look like this card is sustaining 1330mhz. Performing like within 1-2 fps on average of the reference card. Overclocking seems to open up that gap further. But still not an indepth review. I really am wondering why the fuck tomshardware and hardocp haven't gotten any of these cards yet.

I don't see the point of these cards. All these beefy coolers and same performance to stock with gimped bios that limits it to same power envelope as reference card. Give the users more tools to push these cards for those who want squeeze every bit of performance. Sort of disappointed how locked down the new cards seem.

Last edited:
Guru 3D have their review up PowerColor Radeon RX 480 RED DEVIL review they got it to 1375.
but if you see the reviews. It doesn't look like this card is sustaining 1330mhz. Performing like within 1-2 fps on average of the reference card. Overclocking seems to open up that gap further. But still not an indepth review. I really am wondering why the fuck tomshardware and hardocp haven't gotten any of these cards yet.
I don't see the point of these cards. All these beefy coolers and same performance to stock with gimped bios that limits it to same power envelope as reference card. Give the users more tools to push these cards for those who want squeeze every bit of performance. Sort of disappointed how locked down the new cards seem.
They should allow little bit better performance. This just proves that slapping a 3 fan solution on the RX 480 will not make it perform like a $400 card. Which was not something unexpected.
Sucks for people expecting this card to be the one to break 1400 :(
What people to begin with ? It is a baseless argument to begin with you might as well stated that it is a useless card if you wanted to walk on water. Nowhere can you find any articles where you would find overclocks on a regular RX480 that were easy to get to 1400. And nothing was published that would suggest that there was so much headroom for overclocking. Again if RX 480 was able to overlock by that much WHY would AMD start selling them at 1266/1288 mhz ?
Seems to have a similar TDP limit to the reference card. Out of the box it's only going to be marginally faster than reference. Sapphire is still the faster card. TDP limits appear to be: Reference -165W PowerColor - 170W ASUS - 175W Sapphire - 225W And performance seems to line up identically.
which is not that surprising ?
I knew this one wasn't going anywhere sadly..
You mean a mid range card with mid range performance is not going anywhere ?

I see where both of you are going, but no, just no. I never expected the RX 480 to get to 1400 I don't even care about single card performance I'm interested in Crossfire. I even said before the Red Devil was released not to expect much out of a Powercolor part.

People was full of false expectations when Kayle said:
but also they were expecting that card to reach those kinds of numbers at the same TDP as reference cards.. now we have a card(sapphire) with 225W TDP that still can't reach those numbers.. people had lot of expectations with the Red Devil which also were not met
well you know, that's the main problem, sometimes is their own people which hurt AMD with impossible reasoning.
Few weeks ago this part of the forum was full of nonsense crap with people saying that at 1500mhz the RX 480 was going to perform at GTX 1070 levels and that those clocks were going to be easy to reach with AIB cards because Kayle Said Asus was getting between 1480mhz and 1600mhz with good coolers, then they picked 1500mhz as "an easy" numbers to reach between 1480 and 1600.

That sounds weird because in the editorial Kyle said slow and hot. All of this is so unlikely because of all the samples out there Asus only gets the good parts ?

That sounds weird because in the editorial Kyle said slow and hot. All of this is so unlikely because of all the samples out there Asus only gets the good parts ?

that's the thing, it was an statement made in June 29, same launch date, since then everyone was waiting for a card to reach the magical 1400mhz barrier as was reported to kyle... everything just went worse with the article made by WCCF based in the quote by kyle so well.. you may guess how high could be the expectation from the people not only here but in every site out there..

AIBs need to get off their asses and slap some really good cooling solutions on that chip, i mean what is stopping them to get a vapor chamber cooler like it was on gtx580! And with the cutouts in the pcb like gtx 470/480 and with a blower cooler that will exhaust the hot air from the case and not recirculate it, what is so difficult to do that?

AIBs need to get off their asses and slap some really good cooling solutions on that chip, i mean what is stopping them to get a vapor chamber cooler like it was on gtx580! And with the cutouts in the pcb like gtx 470/480 and with a blower cooler that will exhaust the hot air from the case and not recirculate it, what is so difficult to do that?

This is a $200-$240 card. More exotic cooling means more expensive card. We're already seeing the ASUS card hit $300. We have now officially hit GTX 970 performance for GTX 970 price. How much more expensive do we want to go?

Well if that is the case then i guess we go gtx1060 or used gtx970 or lower our expectations from the fake hyper hype that AMD generated. What if the hyper hype surrounding ZEN is the same thing? Let's not forget Zambezi 5 years ago!

Well if that is the case then i guess we go gtx1060 or used gtx970 or lower our expectations from the fake hyper hype that AMD generated. What if the hyper hype surrounding ZEN is the same thing? Let's not forget Zambezi 5 years ago!

There is and was no hype people just posting and repeating the wrong things which do not make sense.

The price of the card and the frequency says it all , at $239 and 1266 mhz this card would never scale up no matter how much people said it could. If this had headroom why would the card be limited between $199 and $300 (for AIB) ?

I am still holding the rx480 at the 199$ price that Koduri made so many waves with his minimal VR TAM!

In DX 11 games, GTX 1060 > RX 480 > GTX 970.

In DX12/Vulkan games, swap the 1060 and 480.

Unless you can get a used GTX 970 for $175 or less, I can't see choosing that over a 1060 or a 480.

I am still holding the rx480 at the 199$ price that Koduri made so many waves with his minimal VR TAM!

They exist. They've just been perpetually out of stock, like the 8GB cards. All indications are that ETH miners are loading up on 480s as fast as they can get in stock, and the 4GB card is preferred due to lower cost and the fact that additional VRAM doesn't help them.

Amd never created any bullshit hype this time around. None of the claims came from amd. They just mentioned the price and relative performance and thats all. If you want to complain about wccftech I would understand, it all started in random forums and sites trying to get hits.

But for zen on the other hand is being hyped by amd. and we will see about that and all indications are they do have a good product at hand. After all it was designed by one of the best, so I have no doubt this thing performs as they are claiming. It should put them much closer to intel.

Amd never created any bullshit hype this time around. None of the claims came from amd. They just mentioned the price and relative performance and thats all. If you want to complain about wccftech I would understand, it all started in random forums and sites trying to get hits.

But for zen on the other hand is being hyped by amd. and we will see about that and all indications are they do have a good product at hand. After all it was designed by one of the best, so I have no doubt this thing performs as they are claiming. It should put them much closer to intel.
To be honest, their efficiency claims turned out to be mostly bullshit, still.

But yes, AMD were careful with expectations this time, but can't stop them fanboys. And no, i don't think they hype Zen that much, in fact, their claims so far make Zen look pretty underwhelming.

To be honest, their efficiency claims turned out to be mostly bullshit, still.

But yes, AMD were careful with expectations this time, but can't stop them fanboys. And no, i don't think they hype Zen that much, in fact, their claims so far make Zen look pretty underwhelming.

Ofcourse lol. But they comparing it to their current gen CPUs which sure makes it look good even by what they are claiming. I think they are doing a good job not comparing it to intel though lol. May be they want people to be surprised even more when it comes out. But I have no doubt though its gonna be a decent chip because it was designed by one of the best.

Ofcourse lol. But they comparing it to their current gen CPUs which sure makes it look good even by what they are claiming. I think they are doing a good job not comparing it to intel though lol. May be they want people to be surprised even more when it comes out. But I have no doubt though its gonna be a decent chip because it was designed by one of the best.
IIRC it was never stated Keller was in charge of Zen, but rather it was constantly implied, while pretending to forget that AMD were/are working on ARM chip as well, while Keller definitely has some ARM credentials.

IIRC it was never stated Keller was in charge of Zen, but rather it was constantly implied, while pretending to forget that AMD were/are working on ARM chip as well, while Keller definitely has some ARM credentials.

why the hell would a chip guru not work on their most important product to date that might make or brake the company? Almost every tech journalist has put his name behind Zen. So I have no reason to doubt those claims to be honest.

Back