AMD RX 470

imre

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I wanted to know which is the best brand to buy here ?
I really dont care about looks and gaming as i want mine for programs like 3D Studio Max and computational stuff.
I like to play with modeling

I just dont want to end up with one that is like a snail or short a couple or few megahertz in clock speed.

upload_2017-3-8_12-44-36-png.18815

This is my list of the possible cards i can buy in the RX470 range.

Please let me know, most appreciated.

Also i have somebody in my mind asking me to ask you guys also, will it not be better to buy 2 RX460s since they are cheaper?And also to confirm if the RX470 is better than getting the R9 range of cards?

Also, what about GTX 1050 or 950/960? silly ideas?

Many thanks again

My system is currently 16GB DDR3 ram 1866 speed , intel i7 2600k and i also have an AMD X4 860k , so i am not sure which would be the better system to use here.

Regards
Imre

The i7-2600k is going to be a lot faster then a 860k in about everything i can think of. I built a couple 860k and i really liked them for the price paid $67. I would buy which ever rx470 is cheapest or silent depending on your wants. I owned a few of them strix cards, they are very quiet. IMHO there is no tangible difference between the 470s some might be 1260 or 1280mhz but its such a small difference i doubt you will discern it. Especially if your not even gaming. i would skip the rx460 idea unless your computer doesnt support a video card with a 6 pin power connector.

I dont want to go through the pain of overseas shipping unless its a killer price. I will have a look though , thanks.
Oh are you not in the US? If you are, Visiontek will ship out of Chicago.

The i7-2600k is going to be a lot faster then a 860k in about everything i can think of. I built a couple 860k and i really liked them for the price paid $67. I would buy which ever rx470 is cheapest or silent depending on your wants. I owned a few of them strix cards, they are very quiet. IMHO there is no tangible difference between the 470s some might be 1260 or 1280mhz but its such a small difference i doubt you will discern it. Especially if your not even gaming. i would skip the rx460 idea unless your computer doesnt support a video card with a 6 pin power connector.
Cool so you reckon the I7 2600K is better, yeh because im really sad about my AMD X4 860, its still new but it doesnt seem to be amazing with speed. I have tried overclocking with the oc genie in the bios, but i mean i tried to encode a movie in x265 and it maybe saved me 15 minutes of encoding time on a film that was 1h 40 mins, its not really amazing. I would love to test the i7 2600k and see how it performs.
So then of the list i have given , which card would you reckon i take?
I would take powercolor BUt it is not there , i heard good stuff about the Saphire, but that might have been personal pref which is the reason.... other than that for me, i dont want to have a lazy dog, it must be a decent card and i must be able to OC it or maybe edit the bios,,,, MAYBE thats only MAYBE if am brave enough to. In terms of quiet i guess it can me okay quiet it doesnt have to be silent. as long as it is not like a jumbo jet.I was a REDDIT with some dude saying the Asus Strix is rubbish as it performs understock... BUT thats I have read....
I am just asking for advise here from the pro's and happy to take the advise to my next level of deciding.
Let m know which you woul choose. Oh some other guy i spoke to online LONG ago , he told me it makes no sense paying so much money and he would just rather buy the cheapest card of the range. Not sure if you with that mode of thinking.

Oh are you not in the US? If you are, Visiontek will ship out of Chicago.
Sorry man, i am not from Trump land. I wish i was sometimes , because it seems pricing is very nicely fixed with electronics and you guys always have the best prices. UK / Europe / Africa / Asia (non china taiwan hong kong) always seem to have the worst pricing.

Sorry man, i am not from Trump land. I wish i was sometimes , because it seems pricing is very nicely fixed with electronics and you guys always have the best prices. UK / Europe / Africa / Asia (non china taiwan hong kong) always seem to have the worst pricing.

heh trump land. Sounds like a nightmare.
In that case, I would go the for MSI.

On second thoughts, please rule out the MSI , i realized i cant afford it , it is dam expensive and i guess it is because it is 8GB.

OK Sapphire Nitro 4GB then. lol
Really they are all going to be close.

Sorry i have had to narrow my list down to these , i can not afford the 8 GB , i dont know if it is really worth getting a 8GB.... BUT maybe i can in future?

upload_2017-3-8_16-40-48.png

But bru, i reckon Trump will do okay , he has crazy ideas and his mind set is different, but lets see, maybe he can bring more stability in a different way.
A good shock to settle things down in another way.

You get what you pay for. the 860k is a cheap processor. it lacks cache compared to other processors and it competes more with a Core i3 or even better a pentium G4560. The i7 is a flagship processor, 4 core 8 thread. the 860k is technically a quad core but behaves more like a dual core with 4 threads.

But bru, i reckon Trump will do okay , he has crazy ideas and his mind set is different, but lets see, maybe he can bring more stability in a different way.
A good shock to settle things down in another way.

Sure. If you like dirty water, air, less health care, tax breaks for the rich, more national debt and higher prices for the middle class on consumer goods.

Sure. If you like dirty water, air, less health care, tax breaks for the rich, more national debt and higher prices for the middle class on consumer goods.
There should be a green initiative regardless MORE than the coal mines , but those okes in the mines need to get transferred somehow or taken care off.
I was under the impression tax cuts applied to all....
Not sure why prices would be higher for the middle class.
Anyways we used to have the strongest currency in the world at one stage we were 60 cents to a dollar back in the day.
Today its all fooked up here, corrupt and banks were recently found "rigging" our currency im so glad they were caught and will be fined.
Who knows what entities were involved with this over seas also.
Its a very sad world at the moment , its sad for me that I cant visit America one day and eat a hot dog on the street pavement like in the movies you would see with Robert de Niro, unfortunately because most countries now days are so washed out, nothing is really genuine anymore.

You get what you pay for. the 860k is a cheap processor. it lacks cache compared to other processors and it competes more with a Core i3 or even better a pentium G4560. The i7 is a flagship processor, 4 core 8 thread. the 860k is technically a quad core but behaves more like a dual core with 4 threads.
Agreed, i was very sad to see it says 4 core, BUT some sites and i dont know why BUT only on some sites it says 2 cores and 2 threads so i am really sad about it.
Its way better than the Phenom stuff BUT in today's terms Excluding AM4 socket for now, only MAYBE the AM3 FX 6300 or 8350/8530 always confuse me, but those are better choices.
Though i7 just seems far superior, just a pity they are so bloody expensive.

I would recommend the ASUS. I know about the RMA horror stories but I've never had to RMA an ASUS part so it's kind of irrelevant to me.

I would recommend the ASUS. I know about the RMA horror stories but I've never had to RMA an ASUS part so it's kind of irrelevant to me.

Hi, would u be able to tell why why out of the list i gave you would prefer the ASUS ?

Is there a clear winner in terms of performance amongst the 4 cards?

I have friends that have been burned by Gigabyte; the Sapphire RX 480s were spectacularly loud and cheaply made from what I've read elsewhere. I don't know if those same defects are present in the RX 470.

Your mileage may vary on Gigabyte. On this board I have seen a lot of people praise them; I can only go by what I've seen with my friends.

Why ASUS? Because I've had dozens of parts from then (monitors, motherboards, and graphics cards) and I've had one failure which was a heatsink popping off the Northbridge chip on a motherboard.

Good luck with whatever you end up choosing!

Okay i just asked a South African here he reckons Asus or Gigabyte for him.
He cant say why Gigabyte though or why not the Saphire, BUT he can say that Asus for him has been amazing.

I don't see XFX. My XFX RX470 RS has been stellar.

XFX was not one of the company's queried and I have no experience with them (though, on this forum and [H] reviews, all appears pretty positive for that brand).

Decided to buy a lawn mower or rather a hover mower instead, sorry but it is sad for my graphics card.
I will though pursue and buy 1 or 2 PowerColor RX470s soon.
I really hope they will be worth while.
I would like to overclock my GTX 650 and GTS 450 cards but editing the BIOS not running overclock software.
I need to unlock those cards voltages.
I have tried KGB unlocker on the GTX 650 and it doesnt work , silly actually it says it does not support it BUT it is intended for the 600 series. go figure.

Back