AMD review thread

razor1

[H]F Junkie
AMD Radeon RX 480 Video Reviews:
Thx Vcardz.

Last edited:
sm.power_crysis3.600.png

Its using 150 watts in Crysis 3 at stock

EDIT: NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE TO THE NEXT POST....

So a 50mhz Core and 200mhz VRAM OC bumps the 480 from below 970 to above 980?

Something doesn't look right...

Actually, that entire graph looks strange. How is an OC 980 losing to stock 970?

that's the problem when you aren't in the ideal voltage range, small increases in frequency (because of the extra voltage needed) can have huge affect on power consumption.

Oh, I knew there was something wrong. The graph is power consumption... I thought it was performance.... D'OH

Now everyone that bashed Kyle should go back and give him likes lol, but of course that probably won't happen........

Last edited:
With the rx 480 performing just around 970/390 level, is it even worth picking these up when the latter can be had for a cheaper price than the 480 at retail

That's bad. Sure, $200 card, but we need competition in high end as well. I don't want a $999 1080Ti and $1500 Pascal Titan.
All AMD could come up with after so long is a low budget product. That perform equally to 970 which is a lot older. Come on.
I'm not even impressed over power draw or temperatures. It's like 30W less than 1070 which is twice as fast :x

What's next, Vega which will be between 1080 and 1080Ti? Nvidia is again going to crush AMD, not to my liking as I love competition because it means lower price.

This seems like a pretty good card to me? I'm confused, some people are claiming it's terrible yet it appears to clearly hit above the competition for the price.

I feel like many of you want a 1080 competitor from this which it isn't.

Whatever it was supposed to be is ultimately irrelevant, it is what it is, a good performing $200 card, isn't it?

This seems like a pretty good card to me? I'm confused, some people are claiming it's terrible yet it appears to clearly hit above the competition for the price.

Whatever it was supposed to be is ultimately irrelevant, it is what it is, a good performing $200 card, isn't it?

For a $200 bucks and 150w power draw (compared to the 290/390) I think it's a great card.

Maybe people are just so used to the two makers releasing their highest end card first? Or... everyone just wants to bash AMD to make themselves feel better... iunno.

i am disappointed in the performance -- i thought it was going to match a 980, not tie a 970. I suppose its doing it with less power, so for a single 6 pin connector its pretty awesome.

The problem is that this is a $240+ card, not $199, and so now it's going up against the 970/390s, which it doesn't beat. People aren't disappointed that it's not beating the 1080, we're disappointed because it's barely edging out the 970/390 on value considering how their prices have been dipping below $300 for a long time now.

The problem is that this is a $240+ card, not $199, and so now it's going up against the 970/390s, which it doesn't beat. People aren't disappointed that it's not beating the 1080, we're disappointed because it's barely edging out the 970/390 on value considering how their prices have been dipping below $300 for a long time now.

But "dipping below $300" is still $80 over this MSRP isn't it? That's 40% the total cost!

While you can't get one for $200 now I'm sure they are coming. Price gouging is just the way of launches.

This seems about right. Not a bad card since I was originally looking into 970 level anyway to replace my dying 6950 without digging into to tuition funds, this might just be a decent compromise, unless the 1070 becomes readily available and reasonably priced. If I can bear to wait things out a bit, this really isn't that disappointing.

But "dipping below $300" is still $80 over this MSRP isn't it? That's 40% the total cost!

While you can't get one for $200 now I'm sure they are coming. Price gouging is just the way of launches.

There were sales for as little as $280 at least as far back as fall last year. Now you are even starting to see aftermarket cards at LOWER prices than this card, although it's more typical to see them higher. Bear in mind this card isn't $199, its $240+. So we're looking at similar performance for only a fairly small price decrease. Overclocking then helps out the 970/390 even more.

I've been looking at upgrading my GTX 670 for over a year now. First I was waiting for the 970/390 to drop in price, then I decided to wait for this. Only to find out I could have just gone with the 970/390 9 months ago for slightly more. Not exactly earth shattering after all the hype about this card "bringing performance to the masses".

As it stands I'll be waiting to see what the 1060 does and then decide on whether to go for EVGA B stock 970/1060 or a 480.

Not a complete failure but far from impressive.

AMD must be smoking some strong stuff to hail this card as the second coming. Performance is merely passable for a new node and power consumption is poor considering what nVidia did with 28nm.

And 5% overclocks? Geez....

I understand people are here talking about watts. Yep not as good as nvidia, that is a given and disappointing but nvidia already had a big lead there! But think its giving you 50-60% more performance compared to their last gen card.

now if AMDs experience with nano and previous hbm cards is to go by I expect the higher end parts to be even more efficient. I think they made improvements compared to their last gen. Nvidia had a big lead already, sure these are growing pains of 14nm FInFet.

even Kyle Confirmed AIBs are saying they are getting 1490-1600 on binned chips, so not too far fetched we will see those cards with bios switch running at 1500. Sure it will take a lot of power though.

Well that the thing, AMD didn't have the time to make great strides to catch up to nV on the perf/watt front, things like that require major changes to the architecture and after seeing Maxwell 2 a year and half ago, they didn't have the time to do it. Expect some more things with Vega, but expect Navi to be the one that really shows they are changing their train of thought when it comes to design and perf/watt.

Well that the thing, AMD didn't have the time to make great strides to catch up to nV on the perf/watt front, things like that require major changes to the architecture and after seeing Maxwell 2 a year and half ago, they didn't have the time to do it. Expect some more things with Vega, but expect Navi to be the one that really shows they are changing their train of thought when it comes to design and perf/watt.
I'm actually curious how much of this is GloFo fault. A bad process can damn even a well designed chip.

Not a complete failure but far from impressive.

AMD must be smoking some strong stuff to hail this card as the second coming. Performance is merely passable for a new node and power consumption is poor considering what nVidia did with 28nm.

And 5% overclocks? Geez....
It's a 970 for $200... Where is this "not impressive" coming from? This thing obliterates the previous $200 price point cards.

People keep saying " yeah but for $50 more you could get the same a year ago" and that may be true, but it doesn't change the current market reality, which is $200 for this performance is very good. $50 is a 25% the total cost.

Glad to see the hype train wrecked.. I would have loved this card with lately rumors. but I got it already from the power hungry cards in my working machines at the basement.. I was hoping that the machines with 390X and 280X would receive a worthy successor but that doesn't happened.. so well.. everything else it's going to be replaced with GTX 1070 if and only if im able to find about the extra ~8 cards i need for the end of this year.. :dead::dead::dead:..

It's a 970 for $200... Where is this "not impressive" coming from? This thing obliterates the previous $200 price point cards.

People keep saying " yeah but for $50 more you could get the same a year ago" and that may be true, but it doesn't change the current market reality, which is $200 for this performance is very good. $50 is a 25% the total cost.

Beating previous cards on a much older manufacturing process is not "impressive". It's the minimal expected outcome if you've been following this industry for a while.

The budget price is a consequence of poor execution, not a reason for praise.

Glad to see the hype train wrecked.. I would have loved this card with lately rumors. but I got it already from the power hungry cards in my working machines at the basement.. I was hoping that the machines with 390X and 280X would receive a worthy successor but that doesn't happened.. so well.. everything else it's going to be replaced with GTX 1070 if and only if im able to find about the extra ~8 cards i need for the end of this year.. :dead::dead::dead:..
whats this about 8 cards? lol

It is $240. Well, look at it this way, it cost ~65% of a similar performance card (970) that came out 2 years ago.. is it value for money for the $120 in gap over 2 years?

Everyone was like "Just wait for the 480 benches!" Now we have benches and the card is somewhat boring at delivering expected 970 level performance for roughly the same price and power consumption. At this point who would buy this instead of waiting another week to see if the 1060 stomps this?

Last edited:
If you need a card to day and have 250$, wich card would you buy ?
Well, we are talking about the expectations of the card that to exceed a 970 to match a 980, not about if the card is practical to buy now.
If I can ONLY spent $250 now of coz I will get 480. If you have a few more ten bucks, or wait for NV to drop price again (which they probably will for 1060), the 970 could be a choice too given the good OC power. You see, that's the point. It is not the definite winner even at launch for that bucket.

Back