AMD raytracing techdemo

It better be running in early alpha midrange card. :D :D :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Will find out in a few months. I feel AMD can likely stay competitive with Nvidia on that front, just expect the ride to be a bit bumpy.

Will find out in a few months. I feel AMD can likely stay competitive with Nvidia on that front, just expect the ride to be a bit bumpy.
I hope so.

When both AMD and NV can do decent RT, devs will feel more inclined to make games with RT too one would think.
Also hoping AMD can come up with something similar and on par with DLSS 2.0.

Reactions: noko
like this
gamma xt.jpg

I think all those people thinking big navi was going to bring better DXR than nVidia are gonna be eating crow later this year. We all know who's the best:

The lyrics to that song were made for this thread.

You wrote this in march... are you getting ready to eat crow or feed us crow lol?

I guess well see when Big Navi hits the review line. Exciting times with these gpu launches.

Need huge grain of salt for that.

The TOPS numbers for NVidia are from the Tensor cores, so of course are higher, since AMD is not expected to have any Tensor cores.

The RT Perf numbers from AMD, seem to indicate that there is no dedicated RT cores, which seems a little more than unlikely.

RT type cores are not rocket science. AMD will have dedicated RT core equivalents, and IMO they will be of similar capability of Turing RT cores. AMD obviously had Turing the benchmark and will not want to lag significantly.

We won't have much idea about Big Navi until we see some comparative benchmarks...

HotChips MS/AMD presentation this year on that 15.3~ billlion xtor APU said in plain English that RDNA2 hardware on the console has zero dedicated RT hardware,this is very telling. Instead the shaders are doing double duty Triangle/Primitives/RT...

You wrote this in march... are you getting ready to eat crow or feed us crow lol?

I guess well see when Big Navi hits the review line. Exciting times with these gpu launches.

Did you see the HotChips 2020 presentation on RDNA2 by MS/AMD engineers? (check Digital Foundry utube,they did a vid on it) It has zero dedicated hardware RT silicon,and a small amount of dedicated BVH hardware,the shaders are doing double duty,juggling all the usual tasks and RT computation.

Did you see the HotChips 2020 presentation on RDNA2 by MS/AMD engineers? (check Digital Foundry utube,they did a vid on it) It has zero dedicated hardware RT silicon,and a small amount of dedicated BVH hardware,the shaders are doing double duty,juggling all the usual tasks and RT computation.
The BVH parts are RT dedicated hardware/silicon, but I understand what you're saying, it's not seperate from existing parts/tied in. It's been known/suggested (based on AMD whitepapers and patents) that it was going to be part of the shaders vs a seperate area of the die so, not a huge surprise, but good to know non the less. Guess we'll see how it works out sometime in the near future, but I suspect AMD's first try at RT may fall short on NVidia's second gen. Hopefully it's at least on par NVidia's first attempt otherwise it'd be pretty disappointing. I'll have to check the specific presentation you are mentioning as I haven't seen that one yet. I guess even if it can only run RT at medium instead of high or w/e, it'll still help developers because they have common hardware/target.

The BVH parts are RT dedicated hardware/silicon, but I understand what you're saying, it's not seperate from existing parts/tied in. It's been known/suggested (based on AMD whitepapers and patents) that it was going to be part of the shaders vs a seperate area of the die so, not a huge surprise, but good to know non the less. Guess we'll see how it works out sometime in the near future, but I suspect AMD's first try at RT may fall short on NVidia's second gen. Hopefully it's at least on par NVidia's first attempt otherwise it'd be pretty disappointing. I'll have to check the specific presentation you are mentioning as I haven't seen that one yet. I guess even if it can only run RT at medium instead of high or w/e, it'll still help developers because they have common hardware/target.

Agreed on all points,we will know by the 28th of October.

Agreed on all points,we will know by the 28th of October.
I sure hope so! Has anyone heard what they are doing on the 8th for zen3 and 28th for rdna2? Is it just an announcement of when the release will be or will we be getting any sort of benchmark info, or?

Back