AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.8.3

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD has released brand new Crimson Edition 16.8.3 drivers for all you Radeon owners out there. According to AMD, these drivers offer support for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Battlefield 1 Beta and a 10% performance improvement in Rise of the Tomb Raider versus the 16.7.2 drivers on RX 480 cards. Here's a list of known issues as well as resolved issues:
Fixed Issues
  • A random blank or colored screen may be experienced intermittently on some Radeon RX 400 series products while gaming.
Known Issues
  • A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".
  • Radeon Software may intermittently fail to install or hang on some AMD CrossFire configurations. If this happens users can reboot and re-install without issue as a workaround.
  • Grand Theft Auto V™ may experience an application hang on Radeon RX 400 Series Graphics when playing at 4K resolution in story mode.
  • A small number of 144hz non-FreeSync enabled displays may exhibit flickering during gaming or on desktop.
  • Ark Survival Evolved™ may experience an error message when trying to launch the game in some configurations.
  • DOTA2™ may experience an application hang when using the Vulkan™ API and changing resolution or game/quality settings.
  • Corruption may be experienced in Rise of the Tomb Raider using the DirectX®12 API on some Hybrid Graphics configurations when performing a task switch.
  • Shader Cache may remain be enabled when set to "off" in Radeon Settings on some Hybrid Graphics configurations.
  • Radeon RX 480 graphics may experience intermittent stuttering in The Division™ when high game settings are used and vsync is enabled.
  • Battlefield™ 4 may experience intermittent crashes when using Mantle. As a work around users are suggested to switch to DirectX®11.
  • Radeon Pro Duo may experience a black screen in Total War™: Warhammer with the games API set to DirectX®12 and V-Sync enabled.
  • World of Tanks™ may experience stuttering after performing a task switch in AMD CrossFire mode.
  • Rocket League™ may experience flickering when in AMD CrossFire mode.
  • Ashes of the Singularity™ may experience an application crash with "crazy" in game settings and Multi-GPU enabled.

Perfect timing! AND a perfect FAIL! My clocks keep droping randomly to UVD speed (in my case 850mhz) while in the middle of games.....which is not worth a shit when my frame rate goes from 60ish to 40ish when this happens.
1JyJVAwtiLuYepdlgCNtE-t8BwiLkdAcGQ0ip-uWaxflcNXJllq50v4fdyYABeHTK6VZrAovOoCQ-P5BdapGwK9IjDvR2KdVOx5jHJJ-1X_XzwS_H5_DQ1d7HkAQ641Wd8ph0_2eD_H-8SMUGsCfoKyqE0BkOwBL4lH59oqAHBiMo9JC7eCrpi5WnHD7_7nrtKxsyLKFnV7NWzPWisCvmqm4D4aLdPJXeD1KIXwyF4u-K_rPQ89QH_Gv071xYvuvn7F54ItozZsaXlAXqO6B0YJbNNv941aH_4_FilvGCQwZlKVW_B7rRnVsDM5JOGEYQwPLCLDB_LtLjIRSTg0GA6Sd5IRdQLIB0FDFPW0KuPUsSVQ_RWuSK9XoGP46YEqMP-hOnaf6ytDRrsHK995rHdAqjtmbFdYTHucjhRvEJRoGiJ4hMALKFakSR6bKbsXKXTCuNv-6ryjxvlcQnujEK_GV9rJ6X2x3ePFKHN0EDcf5-r8F7kruUMy7Q5H1q8VJYpD0enZ3xY392d3UkK9H2r0H2BDD01Q57IWpjlcHgwRHf1-K4msnVs-4EekUGnaHr58kluDpvqVZP7Mv_txBWBWPJjXSRTs=w388-h156-no

Up till last couple drivers its been great.....What The Fuck is the point of triggering UVD clock speed anyway? Its supposed to be for watching videos or something right? Maybe i should go back to the previous WHQL? I am sure it was effecting the previous driver, cause 16.8.2 suck dicks as well!

Last edited:
pendragon1 Have you noticed any issues with your boost clock in games?
nope. these seem to be running fine for me. they even fixed the issues i was having with dx12 in the BF1 beta. I was playing last night with my gpu at 1210/1700 and the clock stayed pinned at 1210. i use AB for my OCing and have my power limit and voltages maxed. my card hits 1.288v and power limit is set to +50%. what are you using to OC?

nope. these seem to be running fine for me. they even fixed the issues i was having with dx12 in the BF1 beta. I was playing last night with my gpu at 1210/1700 and the clock stayed pinned at 1210. i use AB for my OCing and have my power limit and voltages maxed. my card hits 1.288v and power limit is set to +50%. what are you using to OC?
I use both honestly....But its not an OVER CLOCK issue.....Something it triggering UVD clocks, which doesn't care one fucking second the actual boost clock set. I have experimented using one or the other...But if something triggers UVD clocks it goes to that. I removed the xbox app to see what effect it was having. Seems like most of my issues would begin after taking a screenshot or bringing up the game bar

hmmm all good so far today since i removed the xbox app...maybe that was it!

Last edited:
like another program is locking in the clock rate? ive had IE lock in clock rates while watching youtube. it will stick at 500/1500 and I have to change profiles in afterburner to get it working again. so I would check whats running in the background that might be changing your clock rates. try disabling other background programs or maybe create a new local windows account and see how it acts to make sure its not driver problems.

like another program is locking in the clock rate? ive had IE lock in clock rates while watching youtube. it will stick at 500/1500 and I have to change profiles in afterburner to get it working again. so I would check whats running in the background that might be changing your clock rates. try disabling other background programs or maybe create a new local windows account and see how it acts to make sure its not driver problems.
Yea of course.....But the only thing new i was really using is xbox app which is installed by default (handy for taking dx12 video and screenshots)...i removed it with powershell and So far so good....my clocks were steady thru several rounds today
mZ_YR__JpWmvFvbZOlClIP7VvHvVxF8A1hfoopKQJ2wag1AP8hfUCT_W69kljxmd0ylEY-eN2NbH8lt5gI7rf1-6BuxdHeU-FyrOnwsb1KvRSpDBquV16AK_Nl_uQVkSMqAc2QyEaMrX4-eCJaq5xgjMrsrGAmyLqLn5i2kjjT4d7qgFzS3pxcGVSY5ghkuolXzCTgsSS-aATmWeOCIDMCx9E6Ii1fa9MvbV470P73PyANB4Zy1xLeNSqPl9FeuP9AxRyT_vd0ParYjw6EAXW7SoXz1-3_eaXeUTo5dpR8W7ZjQeCF7H1VGjA1l1kYDZN3XfyyHrdHvuOhO7WJ5_ajDAAxSLR9HkfMrPEuKU_jd35Y7O6zOlxEANApIg-ZU44tXGpADBaFcf3CM-2OTfoZswtHu-tPERt82f_qmVkMe5hZ1Wwk3X-hgSyDyFEUGA3KuT5BRT6LVi_OgNwWTQDejgFGBArunXXSik3rcf3e0oWFmDyVMBkZjDDhE1YatQMbb7V6Yi5GDCMUJ5elqOBXuRAePuAF6aRkHE3ox6y7C0oaKyzJxlndgIyIPLUN6j2P6Uk1fAx0DDmjUATTTABVck_LvG5-rQ5kklmF2njy4cz1mQ=w1384-h804-no

So it looks like i have identified the issue. It never occurred to me it would be a windows default app causing the issue:woot:...Anyone else have clock trouble remove the dam xbox app

Hmm... I'll have to check the xbox app issue. I was playing BF1 beta last night with the new drivers/DX11 and it was running beautifully... 2560x1440 ultra at a constant 70-110 fps(freesync). Then all of a sudden out of nowhere it would dip into the 30-40s for a few minutes and then magically again it would go back to 70+ again. Then again... it could just be the beta.

Yea of course.....But the only thing new i was really using is xbox app which is installed by default (handy for taking dx12 video and screenshots)...i removed it with powershell and So far so good....my clocks were steady thru several rounds today
mZ_YR__JpWmvFvbZOlClIP7VvHvVxF8A1hfoopKQJ2wag1AP8hfUCT_W69kljxmd0ylEY-eN2NbH8lt5gI7rf1-6BuxdHeU-FyrOnwsb1KvRSpDBquV16AK_Nl_uQVkSMqAc2QyEaMrX4-eCJaq5xgjMrsrGAmyLqLn5i2kjjT4d7qgFzS3pxcGVSY5ghkuolXzCTgsSS-aATmWeOCIDMCx9E6Ii1fa9MvbV470P73PyANB4Zy1xLeNSqPl9FeuP9AxRyT_vd0ParYjw6EAXW7SoXz1-3_eaXeUTo5dpR8W7ZjQeCF7H1VGjA1l1kYDZN3XfyyHrdHvuOhO7WJ5_ajDAAxSLR9HkfMrPEuKU_jd35Y7O6zOlxEANApIg-ZU44tXGpADBaFcf3CM-2OTfoZswtHu-tPERt82f_qmVkMe5hZ1Wwk3X-hgSyDyFEUGA3KuT5BRT6LVi_OgNwWTQDejgFGBArunXXSik3rcf3e0oWFmDyVMBkZjDDhE1YatQMbb7V6Yi5GDCMUJ5elqOBXuRAePuAF6aRkHE3ox6y7C0oaKyzJxlndgIyIPLUN6j2P6Uk1fAx0DDmjUATTTABVck_LvG5-rQ5kklmF2njy4cz1mQ=w1384-h804-no

So it looks like i have identified the issue. It never occurred to me it would be a windows default app causing the issue:woot:...Anyone else have clock trouble remove the dam xbox app

I doubt the app itself was the issue but, I am pretty certain the overlay would have caused that issue. Just turning that off would have fixed it but, then it would have done you no good anyways since that is what you were using the app for anyways. :D

Edit: more specifically, the game dvr function was probably causing the issue even though it is not set to record automatically. (DVR is turned on by default though.)

I doubt the app itself was the issue but, I am pretty certain the overlay would have caused that issue. Just turning that off would have fixed it but, then it would have done you no good anyways since that is what you were using the app for anyways. :D

Edit: more specifically, the game dvr function was probably causing the issue even though it is not set to record automatically. (DVR is turned on by default though.)
The last UVD clock issue i had was 3dmark of all things....It would trigger 850mhz when i was tying to test boost clock stability LOL. 3dmark fixed it with an update a few months back. Then out of know where i could not figure what was triggering the power saving lol. I saw someone else on guru3d mention removing the xbox app had to be done on his setups.....Thing is i bet many people dont even know this crazy app is triggering power saving in the AMD drivers

I was just going to mention the xbox dvr as I had seen someones post about that issue with another game and I had the same issue with BF1 beta and origin's overlay.

Well, i can confirm, the xbox app was the problem all along. I went ahead and made a driver report to AMD so maybe they can look into changing any code in the driver that drops to UVD clocks while gaming lol! It would be nice if the driver played nice with it lol. I suspect it was some kind of code change on Microsoft part with the Annual update that we all updated to. Cause looking back thats about when the issues started.

Back