AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.8.1

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD has released brand new Crimson Edition 16.8.1 drivers for all you Radeon owners out there. According to AMD, these drivers offer support for Radeon RX 470 and Radeon RX 460 graphics cards. Here's a list of known issues as well as resolved issues:

Fixed Issues
  • Max memory overclock available on Radeon RX 480 being too low in Radeon WattMan has been resolved.
  • Overwatch™ may experience an application crash on some Radeon™ RX 480 configurations when using AMD Crossfire technology mode.
  • The Division poor Crossfire scaling may be experienced in some low resolution configurations when using AMD Crossfire technology mode.
  • DOTA2™ may experience lower than expected performance when in AMD Crossfire mode.
  • Radeon Settings may not report the correct Vulkan™ driver or API version information.
  • Firefox™ may experience an application crash when hardware acceleration is enabled for content playback.
  • Low frame rate or stutter may be experienced Wolfenstein®: The Old Blood™ on Radeon™ RX 480.
  • Updating drivers through Radeon Settings may sometimes fail with an error message.

Known Issues
  • A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".
  • Ark Survival Evolved™ may experience an error message when trying to launch the game in some configurations.
  • DOTA2™ may experience an application hang when using the Vulkan™ API and changing resolution or game/quality settings.
  • Corruption may be experienced in Rise of the Tomb Raider using the DirectX®12 API on some Hybrid Graphics configurations when performing a task switch.
  • Shader Cache may remain be enabled when set to "off" in Radeon Settings on some Hybrid Graphics configurations.
  • Radeon RX 480 graphics may experience intermittent stuttering in The Division™ when high game settings are used and vsync is enabled.
  • Battlefield™ 4 may experience intermittent crashes when using Mantle. As a work around users are suggested to switch to DirectX®11.
  • Radeon Pro Duo may experience a black screen in Total War™: Warhammer with the games API set to DirectX®12 and V-Sync enabled.
  • World of Tanks™ may experience stuttering after performing a task switch in AMD Crossfire mode.
  • Rocket League™ may experience flickering when in AMD Crossfire mode.
  • Ashes of the Singularity™ may experience an application crash with "crazy" in game settings and Multi-GPU enabled.

I grabbed the new ones; I'll be honest (XFX 1238/8000) and say I'm not impressed with this card. It's slower - or at least less consistent - than my GTX 970m. I have been really happy with the laptop. The panel is also Gsync, that may have a little to do with it? IDK. Radeon Settings has been crashing since the first install, like a week ago, and has all sorts of OpenGL errors. I've uninstalled cleanly 5 times and just upgraded to these today. Tomb Raider hitches and freezes, RS Siege is slow and choppy, I'm working on figuring out why. It does feel somewhat like a load time issue, my SSD is plenty fast so it shouldn't be, but that's where I'm leaning. But yeah, so far, pretty underwhelming. Had such high hopes! When you can get the card for 159$ overnight though, it's worth a try.

Something funny, the backplate says "the RX 480 tuned by XFX", good engrish!

I grabbed the new ones; I'll be honest (XFX 1238/8000) and say I'm not impressed with this card. It's slower - or at least less consistent - than my GTX 970m. I have been really happy with the laptop. The panel is also Gsync, that may have a little to do with it? IDK. Radeon Settings has been crashing since the first install, like a week ago, and has all sorts of OpenGL errors. I've uninstalled cleanly 5 times and just upgraded to these today. Tomb Raider hitches and freezes, RS Siege is slow and choppy, I'm working on figuring out why. It does feel somewhat like a load time issue, my SSD is plenty fast so it shouldn't be, but that's where I'm leaning. But yeah, so far, pretty underwhelming. Had such high hopes! When you can get the card for 159$ overnight though, it's worth a try.

post in the wrong thread? wtf are you talking about in a new driver thread?

post in the wrong thread? wtf are you talking about in a new driver thread?

I think he is just hoping the new drivers fix the performance issues he is having with his XFX RX 480.

How did you get a RX 480 into a notebook? Just curious.

Your signature is all about the notebook that you are using the RX 480 with?
Asus G751JT-DB73 - 100hz IPS Gsync - 16GB DDR3 - Samsung M.2 256GB - 1TB Hitachi - 4720HQ @ 3.6Ghz UV - GTX 970m @ 1172/6250 UV

I agree with the other posters that you seem to be in the wrong thread or at least seems to lack some basis for the complaint.

However I am gonna post this in big and colorful letters, not for you only but so everyone gets the point when it comes to AMD driver installs:

Install AMD drivers over the replaced drivers. It is not necessary 99% of the time to do a clean install and if you do then re-install the same driver if issues occur (sometimes it takes 3 re-installs especially with Intel CPU/chipsets).

It isn't unusual to require additional overwrites with AMD drivers, mostly with Intel chipsets but even on AMD. I just had to update my wifes with an overwrite because her youtube videos were running slow and stalling. One overwrite later and fixed. It does happen.

I agree with the other posters that you seem to be in the wrong thread or at least seems to lack some basis for the complaint.

However I am gonna post this in big and colorful letters, not for you only but so everyone gets the point when it comes to AMD driver installs:

Install AMD drivers over the replaced drivers. It is not necessary 99% of the time to do a clean install and if you do then re-install the same driver if issues occur (sometimes it takes 3 re-installs especially with Intel CPU/chipsets).

It isn't unusual to require additional overwrites with AMD drivers, mostly with Intel chipsets but even on AMD. I just had to update my wifes with an overwrite because her youtube videos were running slow and stalling. One overwrite later and fixed. It does happen.
I noticed the exact same thing! over the top upgrades fixes any glitches.....few days ago my clocks were stuck at 850 in games...spent 30 seconds just redoing the same driver and reboot and was fixed. I dont uninstall or use driver cleaners UNLESS needed....which i havent needed to since forever

I don't think mugato posted in the wrong thread. he did say that he installed the new driver for his 480 but thinks his 970m based laptop runs better. where he went wrong was the long diatribe about how his laptop is better and mixing up his sentences. reads like someone with ESL.

BUT...

you guys are right about the upgrade thing. I haven't done anything but upgrade with each driver revision since nov/dec last year. no uninstall, no ddu just a straight upgrade. haven't had a single issue, other than the flicker that comes and goes...

He has a desktop RX 480 part that clocks 1238 instead of 1266 ?
Had such high hopes! When you can get the card for 159$ overnight though, it's worth a try.
So you paid that for the card or for the shipping because for the card makes sense for shipping not so much ....

I don't think mugato posted in the wrong thread. he did say that he installed the new driver for his 480 but thinks his 970m based laptop runs better. where he went wrong was the long diatribe about how his laptop is better and mixing up his sentences. reads like someone with ESL.

BUT...

you guys are right about the upgrade thing. I haven't done anything but upgrade with each driver revision since nov/dec last year. no uninstall, no ddu just a straight upgrade. haven't had a single issue, other than the flicker that comes and goes...

Sorry about that, I didn't have much time yesterday. Let me explain.

I purchased an XFX RX 480 (1328/8000/8GB w/ backplate) through BB, because of the mess they made in finding/shipping the product, they gave me a 100$ credit. The card was 259.99 + 11 shipping. The shipping was refunded along with the credit, and I still ended up getting the card the next day.

My signature is not up to date for my desktop, the laptop is correct. On my desktop, I have had a lot of issues with installation of the drivers, and yes I have installed overtop a few times as well. During the first install, I received multiple errors for Radeon Settings, most of them OpenGL related. Clean install or install again, it didn't matter. Crashing constantly in Wattman. Even this last time with these new drivers there were errors. But it seems to be stable now.

My Firestrike score is 8813, not that great but pretty normal I guess in looking for results. Games are a stuttering mess, it feels like a GTX 960 when running on High settings @ 1080p. I just really expected more I guess, based on reviews it appeared a little above a 970 (I've owned a few) in DX11 and DX12 looked great. That's not what I am experiencing. I feel it is driver related and had hoped with these that the low fps and hitching would be resolved. So far it hasn't, so is this really the card or? Something else. I was leaning toward disk because it felt like texture loading. Like high fps until I turn my char and it chunks for a second and then high fps again. But, it's an SSD, not sure it's that.

I will try installing 16.8.1 again over top today and see what happens.

Sorry about that, I didn't have much time yesterday. Let me explain.

I purchased an XFX RX 480 (1328/8000/8GB w/ backplate) through BB, because of the mess they made in finding/shipping the product, they gave me a 100$ credit. The card was 259.99 + 11 shipping. The shipping was refunded along with the credit, and I still ended up getting the card the next day.

My signature is not up to date for my desktop, the laptop is correct. On my desktop, I have had a lot of issues with installation of the drivers, and yes I have installed overtop a few times as well. During the first install, I received multiple errors for Radeon Settings, most of them OpenGL related. Clean install or install again, it didn't matter. Crashing constantly in Wattman. Even this last time with these new drivers there were errors. But it seems to be stable now.

My Firestrike score is 8813, not that great but pretty normal I guess in looking for results. Games are a stuttering mess, it feels like a GTX 960 when running on High settings @ 1080p. I just really expected more I guess, based on reviews it appeared a little above a 970 (I've owned a few) in DX11 and DX12 looked great. That's not what I am experiencing. I feel it is driver related and had hoped with these that the low fps and hitching would be resolved. So far it hasn't, so is this really the card or? Something else. I was leaning toward disk because it felt like texture loading. Like high fps until I turn my char and it chunks for a second and then high fps again. But, it's an SSD, not sure it's that.

I will try installing 16.8.1 again over top today and see what happens.
Are you sure you don't have iGPU enabled if you have one (on phone so have no idea what CPU you have). Sounds more like a conflict rather than just a driver.

Are you sure you don't have iGPU enabled if you have one (on phone so have no idea what CPU you have). Sounds more like a conflict rather than just a driver.
absolutely....opengl errors during the driver install? I have never heard of such a thing happening. For fucks sake it sounds like hes running it with a cpu thats less then half the speed of my 6 year old desktop to end up with an 8K 3dmark score. What was the graphics score lol? Not the overall score? I wish i could have bought a rx480 for 159 total for BB!:whistle:

Are iGPU and dGPU conflicts common? I didn't bother to uninstall my iGPU drivers when I installed my dGPU...

usually when the bios detects a dGPU the iGPU is automatically turned off, it has to be manual set on for a conflict to happen.

I was testing out some mGPU stuff, and I had to manual turn on my iGPU, although it did cause crashes from time to time so turned of the iGPU soon after.

look at the bright side...your in a perfect situation to test if disabling the unneeded igpu fixes the issues. Pretty decent idea to check if you ask me

No iGPU, it's disabled. i3-6100 at the moment. Graphics score is 12300, pretty well inline with everyone else.

Update, any time I try and change the frequency in Wattman, it freezes and the display driver crashes. Currently I am getting black screens and crashes, just did it again. Display Driver for AMD has stopped responding and recovered.

WTFF

are these worth using or is it the same set of issues that have existed since they switch to crimson and have claimed to "fix"

Well i suggest creating a new thread for your card/ issue, and you could get some assistance from the XFX rep. (Just put XFX in the thread title and he will help) Sounds like your card either has zero headroom for overclocking or more likely just has some kind of hardware issue going on. IF this was a driver issue we would have more than one person with the same issue here, but we dont afaik. I would highly consider starting a rma with mark here if yall cant get it worked out.

are these worth using or is it the same set of issues that have existed since they switch to crimson and have claimed to "fix"
wtf issues are you speaking off? Cause we have no idea what you referring to.

Clean, then install 16.7.2, then upgrade. I don't know what's wrong with 16.7.3+, but it doesn't seem to install everything (missing libraries and branding/crimson), though the actual driver appears to install fine.

Dx11 crashes, blank/black screen issues with flash, cursor corruption on multiple monitor setups, endless freesync issues
you have all those issues but havent rma the card?...i think your just trolling out your ass

380x on 16.3 cause its the only version that even halfway works properly

i'm just sick of the "oh we acknowledge the issue but haven't done anything to fix it" that we've been getting for the better part of a year now

380x on 16.3 cause its the only version that even halfway works properly

i'm just sick of the "oh we acknowledge the issue but haven't done anything to fix it" that we've been getting for the better part of a year now
Not saying you don't have issues but got my wife the 370 and so far the only issue was the youtube issue that fixed with a simple reinstall of the newest driver. And there in lies the issue. Not everyone has the problem, and you are right there are quite a few that do, at least the blackscreen issue although I thought it was the 390s.

And AMD isn't the only one with long running issues. Nvidia is just now getting into their latency issues and still not fixed for all. It happens unfortunately.

I had cursor issues as well, but I'm also running vsphere and some other software that could interfere. I used DDU last night in safe mode, then reinstalled 16.8.1 (for like the 6th time), restarted. Seems to be "ok" now, in RS:Siege I was actually getting some pretty good framerates, tearing was horrible so I dropped a few more graphics options - LOL Raptr said Ultra everything 8x MSAA PCSS+ HBAO+ yeah right - and after around 3 minutes it was fluid again. Almost seems like it has to stabilize the clocks and takes a little bit. I agree on overhead for OC'ing. The card is at 1328 stock boost, if I even attempt to increase it by 5% or voltage, it just flat crashes and black screens. Looking online, a lot of people are hitting around 1350, so 1328 is proobbably IT. I'm fine with that, it's a little disappointing I guess, but oh well. For the price, dats foine.

IDK, it's just...I never have these problems with NV's drivers. Well, except for that time they removed OC'ing from mobile chips, and a few other small things. And damn did I hate GFE. I'm no fanboy of either company, I want to see both do well and have a lot of respect for Huang as he graduated from OSU. My neck of the woods. Have had almost every single card released including workstation cards, shit I should have gotten into reviewing! and thus have a fair amount of experience with both sides. AMD has always been a tinkering card, they have a lot of potential if tapped correctly from the devs and users, but require more babysitting. Nvidia is Toyota, they are solid as S5ht and that doesn't come cheap. Pro's and con's to both.

lol this thread has the new record for information that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual driver in the title. JUST AN FYI! WHEN EVERYONE ONLINE SAYS THE PRE-OVERCLOCKED CARDS WONT OVERCLOCK AT ALL! That means they have zero headroom. I get the fact your disappointed, but in reality you shouldn't be. Not to mention has zero to do with newer driver lol If your card works perfect but wont overclock...You got exactly what you paid for. You have to show me which review quarented a certain overclock with that card?....Cause i want to read it.:) Anything over the reference 1266 is OVERCLOCK wether its pre-overclocked or not. From what everyone says if your card just holds the normal overclock steady without throttling your already doing better than most.

Last edited:
I know right! these days everybody seems to think that OCing is guaranteed but its not! if it runs at the stated specs you got what you paid for, anything else is a bonus.

IDK, it's just...I never have these problems with NV's drivers. Well, except for that time they removed OC'ing from mobile chips, and a few other small things..
Guess you're a youngin' cause bricking cards due to fan profile being incorrect(196.75) and the Dark Age of Camelot hard reset PC in middle of gaming where they had the typical reply of "it's your machine" then "oh wait it WAS our drivers, oopsie sorry we bricked your HDD and had you buying a new GFX card, PSU and MB" back in about 2002

I personally wouldn't call them small things :p both sides have had driver issues, not sure if AMD has bricked cards yet, PCIe issue might have.

lol this thread has the new record for information that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual driver in the title. JUST AN FYI! WHEN EVERYONE ONLINE SAYS THE PRE-OVERCLOCKED CARDS WONT OVERCLOCK AT ALL! That means they have zero headroom. I get the fact your disappointed, but in reality you shouldn't be. Not to mention has zero to do with newer driver lol If your card works perfect but wont overclock...You got exactly what you paid for. You have to show me which review quarented a certain overclock with that card?....Cause i want to read it.:) Anything over the reference 1266 is OVERCLOCK wether its pre-overclocked or not. From what everyone says if your card just holds the normal overclock steady without throttling your already doing better than most.

Mouse cursor corruption and Radeon Settings crashing is a legitimate issue that both my Little bro and cousing (both that are using my old AMD cards) are facing.. which it's worse sometimes Radeon Settings aren't even installed and there's no way to have Access to the panel if "enable system tray" option is off as that's the only way to have Access and when they are installed correctly then just crash sporadically..

so yes, there's are couple of issues since the RX 480 launch drivers.

But the guy it's just filling all his post with other anecdotical off-topic experiences.

Im planing to re-build my old machine 3770K+280X or 390Xjust to be able to test the issues myself and be able to help some Friends.. because up to the moment I used I had better experience with AMD drivers Than Nvidia.

I have NEVER ever experienced a mouse courser bug in the huge amount of AMD drivers i have installed....Im actually googling trying to understand what it is lol ...Also basic searches says it happens on nvidia cards as well. Sounds like some kind of OS glitch than a driver glitch.

well yes, I mostly never had issues.. but when I had those where nasty as the screen corruption due to powersaving features removed partially in 16.3 since then I've been Reading constantly about screen and mouse cursor corruptions.. most of my issues indeed where with the 390X the 280X was basically issues free, nothing severe.

re 280x being issue free, they too have had issues. not many but the biggest being the screen flicker. ive been dealing with screen flicker since last fall, since 15 series drivers. some drivers it goes away and then the next it comes back. 16.7.2 had it but thankfully it seems to be gone with 16.8.1 for now anyways...

re 16.8.1 they seem to be working just fine with everything I play and the no screen flicker is a bonus! I do wish they would get the crimson control panel setting to work with dx12/vulkan though. it seem that settings like fps limit, AA etc are totally ignored under dx12/vulkan and windows store games like apex.

Speaking of vulkan fps limiter.....I was amazed in doom that I saw no tearing! How is that even possible running 50+ fps over my displays refresh? In other games I see tearing with 5fps over lol....but yea a working fps limiter for dx12/vulkan wouldn't hurt! Regarding flicker.....mine has been pretty good for a long time now and can't even remember how long now. Seems like it got better around the time I stopped using driver cleaners lol

If your ever unhappy with your xfx card....ill give you what it cost you, plus an additional 20 dollars on top of it....No problem! You should be the happiest person on the planet with the sweat deal you got! We all know team green is so much better! Think it over!;)

Hey, I am pretty happy man, I was just posting that link in response to the comments from above "I've never heard of these problems before blah blah". Oh yes, they are out there. We all know the unlimited combination of software/hardware makes it difficult to create perfect drivers, but!! there have been quite a few issues with the last few releases. And to ShadowLife; for sure I remember some of those issues, there have been major flubs on both sides. However, personally I have not experienced them.

Back