AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.2

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD has released brand new Crimson Edition 16.4.2 drivers for all you Radeon owners out there. In addition to Crossfire profiles for Elite Dangerous and Need for Speed, these drives add AMD Xconnect™ technology. Here's a list of known issues as weoo as resolved issues:

• The Division™ may experience flickering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
  • DOTA2™ toggling between borderless fullscreen and exclusive fullscreen can sometimes cause flickering or corruption when in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
  • Some DirectX® 9 applications cannot disable AMD Crossfire™ technology mode through Radeon Settings.
  • GPU clocks on some products may remain in high states after recovering from an application crash.
  • A small subset of AMD Radeon™ R9 380 users may be experiencing slower than expected fan speeds.
  • Power efficiency toggle in Radeon Settings is showing up for some unsupported products.
  • The check for software updates feature in Radeon Settings may not find the latest available update.
  • Some games may fail to show up in Radeon Settings gaming tab.
  • The Radeon Settings option may sometimes disappear as a shortcut from the right-click context menu on desktop after a software upgrade.
  • Steam®VR Performance Test may experience flickering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
  • Stuttering or corruption observed while playing Fallout 4™ on some graphics products in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
  • Corruption in Hitman™ when using AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
  • Stuttering or freezing in some loading scenes while playing Hitman™ using AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
  • Negative scaling seen on Hitman™ when using AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.

Anybody know if this release lets the RAM clock stay at a lower speed when using more than one monitor?

As far back as I can remember, if you have more than one monitor hooked up, the RAM speed clocks to max even when just on the desktop.

I'm getting mixed results. AOTS DX12 performance has tanked, lost 6-8FPS average. dont have anything else DX12 to test. the golf club now gets odd hitching where it will drop 20FPS randomly. DS3 now stutters every few seconds. AC: Rouge and GTA5 seems to run better. SF5 and KI seems unaffected. have a few more to test. not sure if ill roll back are stick it out...

edit: difference was actually only 4ish FPS, I was looking at the wrong file for comparison...
but... I ended up going back to 16.4.1. even the games that were still getting my normal 60FPS had hitching/stuttering that will/was driving me nuts!
just to be sure I first DDU'd and reinstalled 16.4.2 and had the same results.
re-DDU'd and installed 16.4.1 and it is all back to normal.
that's my experience anyways.
haven't had to DDU in a while.... :|

Last edited:
Anybody know if this release lets the RAM clock stay at a lower speed when using more than one monitor?

As far back as I can remember, if you have more than one monitor hooked up, the RAM speed clocks to max even when just on the desktop.
I have three monitors hooked up (290x @ 2*dvi 1*dp). My ram clock goes into idle, unless there's activity.
Looking in RadeonMod I have Ultra Low Power State turned on (default), as well as Tweaks>Crimson Power Saving.

I have three monitors hooked up (290x @ 2*dvi 1*dp). My ram clock goes into idle, unless there's activity.
Looking in RadeonMod I have Ultra Low Power State turned on (default), as well as Tweaks>Crimson Power Saving.

Not sure what is up with mine. RAM clocks are still maxed out when I have more than one monitor enabled.

I just upgraded from the 16.3.2 set to the 16.4.2 set, rebooted, and then started up MSI afterburner almost immediately. The GPU temps were already at 70c, which is about 10c higher than before at idle and default fan speeds.

Looks like voltage is also running a bit higher than with the old driver set as well.

GPU usage is at 0.

Soomething funky is up with this driver set.

Edit:
After a power of and power on, the temps are back to normal for me.

Last edited:
ill have to give it a try.....i men the fps lose in ashes might just be from fixed dx12 corruption? i really couldnt see it but others claimed it still wasnt perfect yet with the last driver (for our cards)

As excited as I used to get about AMD driver releases... it's just meh and sad these days it seems. Crossfire has been a broken pile of shit in everything except GTA5 and BF4 for me (and it took a long time to get there) I've loved AMD for a while, but I sold off my Xfire 290's and am happily waiting for a nice Pascal 1080 here soon... single card solution ftw!

The confusing thing for me is that xfire worked quite well in the division beta... here we are 2 months later and crossfire is still broken? 100% of the blame does not fall on AMD by any means, but still, come on.

IMO Don't expect a Crossfire profile for The Division anytime soon, if ever. For Crossfire to work, again as per Pre-gameworks, probably involves a rewrite/addition of a large section of code by AMD & Ubisoft. Don't know if Ubisoft are allowed to do this per their confidential gameworks agreement.

At least this is what some people involved in War Thunder, stuck in a similar situation, hinted at.

Still not going to use these. Ever since Crimson 16.1.3 and up, I haven't been able to use the Crimson drivers without getting a display not found issue after my 380x runs for a few minutes, no matter what I set the fans too. Asked XFX and AMD and both of them say it is the other teams fault on why my card does this. Card runs fine with 16.1.1, so I'm just not going to upgrade until they figure out the issue.

Have to roll back to 16.3.2

These new drivers seem to cause me a freezing of the desktop every few minutes, highly annoying.

Have to roll back to 16.3.2

These new drivers seem to cause me a freezing of the desktop every few minutes, highly annoying.
like how? I never had desktop freeze unless the the video driver crash and recovered/ Is that what happening?

like how? I never had desktop freeze unless the the video driver crash and recovered/ Is that what happening?

Just unresponsive for 5-10 seconds, then just functions like it should. Few minutes later, same... It's sortof similar to the driver crashing thing, but no message about a driver crash and the driver menu can still be called up.

Dunno... Looks like some kind of incompatibility happening, but I only use that machine for games. Rolled back and all is ok again.

I installed these and... my card no longer is dropping out with a blue screen without a error message, go figure, and... some of my games are now running faster, such as Need For Speed 2016

Hmm, back on the 16.3.2 again which are working perfectly and I don't see anything I'd need on the 16.5.1 so I think I'll sit these out.

Back