AMD Radeon RX 460 Unlocking From 896 To 1024 Stream Processors

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Unlocked BIOS files are available for the Sapphire Nitro 4G and ASUS STRIX O4G that will give increased performance. Obligatory warning that you could damage your card.

The AMD Radeon RX 460 unlocking process involves nothing more than a simple firmware update and can result in a performance upgrade of 12.5%. The Radeon RX 460 is considered a solid choice in terms of price/performance. It comes by default with 56 TMU and 896 Stream Processors in the form of the Polaris 11 GPU architecture. But here’s how to get an additional 8 TMUs and 128 Stream Processors.

didn't AMD do the same thing before ?

i remember unlocking 2 different X 800 GTO cards to open more pipes to act like the slightly more expensive X 800 XL cards years ago .. one it worked perfect on
the other ..well it started windows nice and all .. but in games it gave me all kinda weird textures and eventually the card died

the one that i did get a good flash on..... still runs today in one of my old win XP systems i use for retro gaming

they were both sapphire cards too

That extra ~12% will at least ensure that the RX460 defeats the 950 in most games :D

The 1050 still would hold a comfortable lead in just about any game you pick.

i remember unlocking 2 different X 800 GTO cards to open more pipes to act like the slightly more expensive X 800 XL cards years ago .. one it worked perfect on
the other ..well it started windows nice and all .. but in games it gave me all kinda weird textures and eventually the card died

the one that i did get a good flash on..... still runs today in one of my old win XP systems i use for retro gaming

Waaay back I did this to my ATI Radeon 9500 and Radeon 9700. The 9500 got lots of corrupted graphics so had to roll it back, but the 9700 work pretty well as a pro.

I unlocked an x800pro to an xt using the pencil trick which ended up burning it out but totally worth it.

So now these have the same number of SPs as a 7850, as a low range (2? Generations) finally meeting spec of an old medium range that isn't too terrible. How is the power draw when unlocked?

The Sapphire X800 GTO² was guaranteed unlockable to the X850 XT, I think the regular GTO was hit or miss. The X800 GTO² was a steal at less then $200 at release before they started marking them up.

These guys need to get this shit straightened out.

nVidia had a "460" just like 6 years ago. Both of them need to get off this alphanumeric crap for about 10 years so that we can remove any market confusion. Give the cards real names like in the old days.

These guys need to get this shit straightened out.

nVidia had a "460" just like 6 years ago. Both of them need to get off this alphanumeric crap for about 10 years so that we can remove any market confusion. Give the cards real names like in the old days.

Since the full names are actually the "Radeon RX 460" and the "GeForce GTX 460", I think they have "shit" straightened out. If we're cherrypicking numbers to complain about, Ford had a 460 engine way before either one of these cards existed.

Reactions: Creig
like this
Since the full names are actually the "Radeon RX 460" and the "GeForce GTX 460", I think they have "shit" straightened out. If we're cherrypicking numbers to complain about, Ford had a 460 engine way before either one of these cards existed.

Of course, a large block V8 from the 70's and a computer graphics card from the 2010's.

Bought a box of plastic sandwich bags.....thought I was getting compression algorithms. Bought a bag of marshmallows at the store, was dissapointed to find no cell phones inside.

I asked this way back, figuring AMD would leave em unlocked. Hmm Wish they do the mod for the Gigabyte 460. I also unlocked an X800 GTO years back. good times!

The Radeon 6950 would also often unlock to 6970 shaders.

Give the cards real names like in the old days.

Ah, yes, the good old days...

SLG6hp4.jpg

Back