AMD Radeon RX 460 Best Card Discussion

BfA

Limp Gawd
I haven't seen a post on this in the forums and I'm in the market so I thought I would post one. As it is now I'm not 100% sure if there's much difference between any of them due to very few changes from the reference design. Although some of them do require a power cable.

As most people would be using these for esports games and HTPCsthe main benchmarks to look at are probably the 1080p performance, temperature and noise.

I believe for this card the 2GB one would be the better value, as the 4GB ones have a hard time utilizing the extra VRAM due to the 128-bit memory bus. At the current price point these are offered at, the main Nvidia competitor would be the GTX 950 which I've read posts a 5-15% increase in performance at the expense of 20-40 watts of power.

In regards to HTPC support: both cards support HDCP 2.2; the GTX 950 is HDMI 2.0 while the RX 460 is 2.0b which means that only the RX 460 supports HDR. Nvidia or it's card partners I suppose could put out a firmware update to 2.0b, but I'm not counting on that. Both cards support HEVC 265 encode and decode.

What is everyone's thoughts?

RX 460 Info
Hard|OCP: AMD Radeon RX 460 Official Specification Information
HotHardware: AMD Extends Polaris Line-up With Mainstream Radeon RX 470 And Radeon RX 460
AnandTech: AMD Announces Radeon RX 470 & RX 460 Specifications; Shipping in Early August

2 GB RX 460 Cards

ASUS Dual-fan Radeon RX 460 2GB OC Edition

GIGABYTE Radeon RX 460 WINDFORCE OC 2GB
- Bit-Tech, CryptoMining-Blog,

PowerColor RED DRAGON Radeon RX 460 2GB
- ComputerShopper,

SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 460 2GB

XFX Radeon RX 460 Single Fan 2GB

XFX Radeon RX 460 2GB Double Dissipation [Best Buy]

4 GB RX 460 Cards

ASUS ROG STRIX Radeon RX 460 4GB OC Edition
- Guru3d, HotHardware, TomsHardware,

GIGABYTE Radeon RX 460 WINDFORCE OC 4GB

PowerColor RED DRAGON Radeon RX 460 4GB

SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon RX 460 4GB
- TechSpot, TechReport, TweakTown, Hexus, GamersNexus,

XFX Radeon RX 460 Single Fan 4GB

XFX Radeon RX 460 4GB Double Dissipation [Best Buy]
- PCWorld, LegitReviews,

More reviews for the cards here on VideoCardz.

As far as I'm concerned, performance is secondary. For an RX 460, it must be a smaller, single-fan cooler, no need for a separate power connector, and close to the $110 MSRP. These $150+ 4GB cards are absurd. At that point, pay the extra $20-$30 for an RX 470 which is shown to be nearly twice as fast.

The point of the RX 460 is to support smaller form factors and lower-power draw (lower PSU) requirements at a great price. OEMs are currently doing everything they can to negate those strengths.

Back