AMD Radeon Graphics Presents: The Fixer

HardOCP News

[H] News
Come for the cheesy GPU humor and epic video card destruction, stay for the awesome comments like "The card broke into so many pieces thanks to the advanced PhysX technology! -dominox64."

Kinda funny, made me laugh a little, than it got excessive, but still funny.

heh funny --

even if AMD went out and bought a brand new GTX670 (or whatever is popular these days) blowing 500 dollars for props is nothing for a multibillion dollar company. They probably spent many times that feeding the camera crew/post production.

Either way -- funny commercial -- and it's doing it's job, getting people to talk about AMD. I know I love my stable of cards -- 3X 7970's at this point and a 7950 :)

I love AMD... don't get me wrong... but I just can't forgive them for dumping the AIW brand. I absolutely ADORED my AIW's :( . Now? A single card takes up 3 slots and the concept of thinner, cooler, faster are long forgotten .. I want a card that doesn't take up half my board but still plays games competitively without windows bitching at me about how such-n-such game is using unusually high system resources

there are a couple of single slot 7850s around, good luck finding them for a decent price though.

there are a couple of single slot 7850s around, good luck finding them for a decent price though.

Yeah.. notice I didn't mention 'affordability' in the above :( *sigh*

I just get upset thinking about having an 8-core processor that runs @ 4.5ghz stable (watercooled) and 32gb of high-performace DDR3, and I STILL get resource warnings, and only get to do half the things I could do 10 years ago

I love AMD... don't get me wrong... but I just can't forgive them for dumping the AIW brand. I absolutely ADORED my AIW's :( . Now? A single card takes up 3 slots and the concept of thinner, cooler, faster are long forgotten .. I want a card that doesn't take up half my board but still plays games competitively without windows bitching at me about how such-n-such game is using unusually high system resources

Well, AIW became a more difficult prospect when ATI stopped making their own cards and started 3rd party partnering.

Wait. I'm confused. What game was going to play better on that vanilla 7970 then whatever 700 series card that was? Love that there are no performance claims either - but you get games with it!!!

Dear AMD, release Volcanic Islands and give the community something to be excited about. This marketing to tweens with your silly commercials, underwhelming announcements and game bundles does nothing for me.

heh, I remember when Matrox was in the mix with their MACH64, neck & neck with Nvidias TNT2 and ATI's AIW 8600 Pro >_<

You know what would be even funnier? If AMD released a card that can actually compete with nVidia's 780 GTX. Coupons are for grandmas.

You know what would be even funnier? If AMD released a card that can actually compete with nVidia's 780 GTX. Coupons are for grandmas.

Ill take my 7970 with "coupons" for $320 over a GTX 780 ALL DAY LONG.

Actually, come to think of it since my mildly overclocked 5850 is doing fine, id be even happier with a $134 7850 with my "coupons"

That was amusing to watch. I'd like to see the two company's throw more blows at each other with funny videos like this.
AMD does need to hurry along with their next gpu line up, the 7000 series has been out for way to long now.

Funny commercial but very ironic considering Nvidia has 3 products on the market right now that are faster than AMD's best hd7970GE.

to bad nVidia spanks AMD... to bad so sad but good try at trying to get to those who aren't as educated.

heh, I remember when Matrox was in the mix with their MACH64, neck & neck with Nvidias TNT2 and ATI's AIW 8600 Pro >_<
Yeah right. Remember WAAAY back in the 80's-90's, when there were more than 2 major graphics chip manufacturers (IIRC, you needed both hands to count them)? Not to mention all the AIB's. Sooo much time spent researching in order to make an informed choice. Bitboys Oy! (sorry, just couldn't resist) :p

I wonder how many can't even remember when NVidia wasn't yet a major player.

This is BRILLIANT! AMD's needs to make sure whoever's in their marketing department stays with them!

I know it's probably not the popular opinion, but I appreciate ads like this for trying to stir up some passion. I miss things like the (xfx?) site swatting Dawn, or my favorite, the G4saurus. Sure, part of it's intention is to create pure irrational fanboy devotees toward which billion dollar company is going to take their money, but so be it. These boring pieces of metal and sand are for videogames, not (strictly) medical devices...have some fun with your association beyond pure performance or value...they all do the job.

There has been a lot of talk about this type of divisive marketing lately, ranging from the PCper gents making a point about Roy Taylor, to Sessler and Sony. People seem to be incighting against it. I take the other view. In a world where people that follow things like this are the same that flood youtube/forums with blindly regurgitated marketing talking points that most parse as bullshit, remember this is no different than those fellows in a parking lot doing the same about custom American muscle vs the other guys' souped-up import. The only difference is the stage and players.

Re opinions in this thread:

I agree about smaller cards. I've been waiting and hoping AMD will give us the option of a 1536sp part at sub-150w, a market they've thrived in (HP/LP) with xx50 cards for years. It's very doable since 28nm scales in power/clocks from .85v. In theory, granted not with a competative stock config, that could have a single-slot option and be pretty awesome. My hopes have been jettisoned for that though, as nvidia's lineup at the lower-end (660ti/760) opted for higher clocks and greater than 150w to compete because of lower ipc (compared to 7870/7870XT-HainanPro). This basically forces AMD's hand to do the same beyond a revised 7870 to stay competative at stock with 760/670. Bummer.

About 7000 getting stale:

Yes, it is. But look at it this way (which is an economical guesstimate, not trying to start rumors): If a 1792sp 256-bit 1100/7000 part launched 18 months after 7870 at the same $350 (1175/7400 at $380) with 1/3 more performance, that would fit very well not only in the pricing trends of current skus, but the trends of silicon prices in general. If said part launched today, it's value would be closer to $380. Given the amount of 7000 inventory available, and 7970ghz conceivably being slightly faster overclocked than any of them, which option makes more sense compared to an over-all slightly faster $400 770?

As for Curacao/Hawaii, I also think they changed course on binning. 780 is clearly clocked with the expectation to meet an AMD part with 40CUs clocked at 1000/6000 and win a close fight. I think instead AMD will come first with a cheaper 2304 part clocked at 1100/6000 because it's stock performance would be just a smidge above the absolute performance of 770. With a much cheaper price than 780, it could create it's own segment. From there, that leaves them room to bin a 40CU part with 7ghz ram and higher clocks than 1000/6000, which then would be the performance difference between it and 780.

TLDR: The AMD parts are late, but it could make sense when applied to a shift in strategy to accommodate market conditions and the competition.

I pretty much straddle the fence on cards but after fighting with AMD driver issues on a simple HDMI/DVI single monitor setup through an Auzen HD and Preamp. . . its x2 NVIDIAS in the gamer.

I miss my AIWs as well. *sigh*

Yeah.. notice I didn't mention 'affordability' in the above :( *sigh*

I just get upset thinking about having an 8-core processor that runs @ 4.5ghz stable (watercooled) and 32gb of high-performace DDR3, and I STILL get resource warnings, and only get to do half the things I could do 10 years ago

welcome to bloatware...I remember when ATi first started bundling their control panel software with .net (and non-.net)...it started to go downhill from there.

Wait. I'm confused. What game was going to play better on that vanilla 7970 then whatever 700 series card that was? Love that there are no performance claims either - but you get games with it!!!

Kinda like a KIA salesman saying that it comes with stuff when you are shopping for a Ferrari.

Did the fixer also fix AMDs stuttering problems while there?

when I saw the "Fixer" part...thing that came to mind was price-fixing....ahahahah

I thought it was overkill, but at least it gets people talking about ATI stuff. For the time being, ATI has no choice but the play the price/performance ratio card as well as other things and they are making the most of what they can.

Jud a tad over dramatic :p But I must admit I did like the office space printer err video card scene. Was the blower trying to mock the NV30?

I found this video to be quite funny.

Sure the Green Heads will be upset and make remarks about Nvidia being better. Who cares, its a video, for brand recognition.

Amd certainly has done a great job promoting its products, and making sure they are involved with games. Every time you start up a game instead of seeing big Nvidia Logo as we are accustomed to seeing, you see a big AMD logo. I like where they are headed.

Here I thought the AMD guy was going to ask for a BJ when the gamer asked "what am I suppose to give to you?"

Yeah right. Remember WAAAY back in the 80's-90's, when there were more than 2 major graphics chip manufacturers (IIRC, you needed both hands to count them)? Not to mention all the AIB's. Sooo much time spent researching in order to make an informed choice. Bitboys Oy! (sorry, just couldn't resist) :p

I wonder how many can't even remember when NVidia wasn't yet a major player.

Apparently you and the OP you quoted don't remember quite as well as you think. Are you even old enough? :confused:
The Mach64 was an ATi product of a completely different generation (Think PCi with barely DirectX). The highly competitive card of the time made by Matrox was was the G400 series.
Mach64 seriously?

Anybody remembers the title when they made fun of the nVIDIAs power consumption? :p

Love or hate AMD, this was a brilliant ad! AMD would be foolish to lose any of their marketing team. They cleverly threw in how the Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One all use AMD, and how almost every big game and studio is now partnered with them. Ex. Battlefield, Mirrors Edge, Need for Speed, Dragon Age, Crysis, Bioshock, Farcry, Tomb Raider, most (if&#65279; not every) Valve title, just to name a "few".

The developer's clearly know who they want to work with and develop/optimize their products for.. It was only a few years ago when Nvidia could claim this with their "how it's meant to be played" campaign and logo being slapped onto most products. Now it's AMD doing it.

I particularly loved how they made fun of Nvidia giving away "imaginary money" (like World of Tanks currency) while AMD gives you (up to) 6 of the newest games depending on the card you bought ($300+ value).

Die hard Nvidia fans without a sense of humor are going to hate the ad.. but everyone else can laugh and enjoy the marketing.

Back