AMD Radeon 5830 Available for Purchase

God damnit no specs lol.

Edit:
Feb 25th seems to be the revised date now (altho 18th was also mentioned elsewhere):
http://www.nordichardware.com/en/co.../244-radeon-hd-5830-coming-february-25th.html

From googling the model number in the amazon link, I'm finding other sites listing specs:
http://www.schottenland.de/preisvergleich/preise/proid_20082785/SAPPHIRE-Radeon-HD-5830-11169-00-xxR
Most of everything is listed here including 256 bit. Now if I can find some store/vendor sources showing TMU and ROPs rather than just rumour sites.

There were some other retailer links but those were dead when I accessed them.

From the looks of it, it does look like a real beast if the rumoured TMU and ROP count is correct given my explanation in the ATI subforum. In a way it does not make any sense either since it's too good to be true. Something's wrong imo.

Last edited:
this is gonna sound stupid but is that price in euro's or GBP? :D It's a 30 dollar price difference in USD is why ;)

Damn it's the 25th now?
Nice that it has 256-Bus.
Wonder if it will have one or two 6pin power connectors?
Hope the price is around $200.

It should have 1 PCIe connector since even the 5850 barely needs 2. Mobo PCIe slot gives 75W and 6pin gives 75W. 5850 TDP is 151W which barely exceeds 150W so I really wonder why they didn't do more tweaking to get it down to 1 6 pin only.

An 8pin is 150W right?

It should have 1 PCIe connector since even the 5850 barely needs 2. Mobo PCIe slot gives 75W and 6pin gives 75W. 5850 TDP is 151W which barely exceeds 150W so I really wonder why they didn't do more tweaking to get it down to 1 6 pin only.

An 8pin is 150W right?

8 pin is 150 w
6 is 75

I think ati left in the 2x 6 pin for the 5850 for overclockers.

Hope it has the same # of SPs, and is just crippled with respect to clock speeds... but that's probably a pipe dream...

this is gonna sound stupid but is that price in euro's or GBP? :D It's a 30 dollar price difference in USD is why ;)

Doesn't really matter. It isn't a straight currency exchange, European countries often get screwed on pricing. I'd bet a ~$200 launch price.

8 pin is 150 w
6 is 75

I think ati left in the 2x 6 pin for the 5850 for overclockers.

Ah thanks. Overclocking slipped my mind. That might be what separates 5830 from 5850. Don't know what affect cutting back SPs and TMUs and raising the core clock 25mhz has on power consumption. If they do leave it with 1 PCIe 6pin then it might not be very overclockable.

The card is based on AMD's Cypress LE core, used in HD 5850 cards,it features 1280 shaders, instead of 1440 on the HD 5850. It also has 60 texture units compared to 72 on the HD 5850. All in all it doesn't sound like AMD crippled it too much and we can assume it will still pack quite a punch. The GPU clock is apparently set at 750MHz, which is 25MHz faster than the reference HD 5850. The higher clock comes as a surprise, but bear in mind that these are unofficial specs and we're taking them with a grain of salt.

The card will feature 1GB of GDDR5 memory clocked at 1000MHz, just like the HD 5850. It will closely resemble the HD 5850, as it will most likely use the same PCB and cooler. It features support for ATI Eyefinity and it packs two DVI outs, as well as HDMI and DisplayPort connectors.

but of course thats from fudzilla so who knows..

Can't come soon enough. Hoping this will drive down the asking price of the 5770 and 5750 ..

Well, Euro is € and GBP is £ :p

Amazon charges 50 GBP more for the same brand 5850, so the difference should be somewhere around 80 USD.

Is it possible to merge this topic with:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035334604#post1035334604

I did some real interesting speculation with nice examples from the past in that topic where cards (4770 vs 4860 vs 4850) with lower SP still kick butt due to high enough core + TMUs + ROPs (texture and fill rate).

I place fudzilla and semi accurate on a lower level than than retailer leaks, so really I'm expecting more gimping on TMU or ROPs since everything else is confirmed by the retailer leaks. If not then some ghetto pricing putting it much closer to 5850 rather than middle between 5770 and 5850.

I gave up on waiting for the damn thing and ordered a 5850 yesterday.

Don't even get me started on waiting for Fermi

Was also waiting for this, but found a used 5770 for wicked price.
For the slight performance difference, I'd rather save the money.

I think slight might be an understatement, if it has over 400 more shaders and double memory bandwidth (256bit) i would assume it is alot faster and should also clock well but thats more speculation ;)

I hope its just as fast as the 4890/275 GTX and I'll be happy. I rather see if it uses a single 6 PIN connector because I care if the card uses a lot of power, but whatever, though I suspect the card might have 2x6 PIN connectors but thats fine with me.

I hope its just as fast as the 4890/275 GTX and I'll be happy. I rather see if it uses a single 6 PIN connector because I care if the card uses a lot of power, but whatever, though I suspect the card might have 2x6 PIN connectors but thats fine with me.

true a single 6 pin would use less power.. but you could pretty much kiss decent overclocking good bye.. so i would expect the reference design to have 2x6 but you will probably see a low power version come out with a single 6 pin..

The Amazon page has been pulled now, not sure what's going on. I ordered one before the OP put this thread up and the delivery estimate was around 8th March, but it soon reverted to unavailable. I didn't see anything re Amazon's pre order price promise, so I won't be surprised if the order is quietly cancelled with a note saying the product is unavailable.

Back