AMD R9 290x Pricing?

At $500, I'll seriously consider switching out my GTX670's with a single R9-290x, if it's $700+, I'll be happy for another year or two with what I got. AMD can't get to greedy with prices, they(and nVidia) have been ratcheting up prices for some time. Lets look at AMD's top(single chip) card from a few years ago, the Radeon 4870 which retailed for $300, and knocked on the door of the vastly more expensive GTX280 in a few games at it's time. Under that we had the Radeon 4850 for about $180, with about 80% of the performance for a third the price. Then we go to the Radeon 5870 and 5850, and prices at the time were still kinda reasonable. The x870 was still AMD's best (single chip) card, and I remember it's launch being $330 and the 5850 being $250. Both decimated whatever nVidia had(Fermi wasn't out yet). Then prices jumped a tad when AMD decided to change the top cards to x970, and trick us into higher prices. The 6970 went for $370 and the 6950 for $300. So with the 69xx series AMD tricked some enthusiasts into thinking the x800 were mid-tier cards, and the new x9xx were high end so they cost more, so when we look at cards like the 6850 and 6870 and see that they perform very similar to the 5850 and 5870, AMD hoped we'd think that the x9xx series was a new(single chip form at least the 5970 did exist as a dual-chip card) class, when in fact the 6970 is the logical evolution of the 5870 and the 4870 before that.

Then AMD Went OFF THE WALL NUTS with the 79xx series. The 7970 went for $550(a big leap from the $370 the 6970 went for) and the 7950 went for $500(I've seen claims of $450, but I remember the HUGE performance loss for only $50 in savings).

Now we have a rebadge 7970, priced at $300, and the card that replaces the 7970 reportadly going for about $700, a TWO HUNDRED Dollar jump from the last generation top card. People may argue that the 290x is going to be a big chip, you know what else was a big chip? Cypress(5870) was HUGE, so was Cayman(6970) and not to mention Tahit(7970), all the biggest most expensive GPU chips AMD made at their respective times, yet we see an exponential increase in price for the Top card from AMD. from $330, to $370 to $500 and finally to $700....So the BEST card from AMD IN 2013 cost over twice what it's equivalent cost in 2009. That's a hell of a way to artifically increase prices.

nVidia is not innocent in artificially raising prices either, in fact, I'd believe that AMD and nVidia may be in coohoots with each other again (they were found guilty of manipulation of prices back in the Radeon x1800/Geforce 7800 days)

$350 is my limit on a Video Card. Anything more is just ridiculous.

Ah, the last top of the line single GPU card to be sold at that price was the Radeon 5870, now a top of the line card costs either $700(290x) or $1000(Titan), it's stupid that prices got this out of hand. If you account for inflation a top of the line GPU shouldn't cost more than $430.

AMD is doing a disservice to it's customers by allowing this to happen. they need to come out and say what the MSRP will be, so people have at least a good idea what's likely to be honored and what wont be.

With the Titan going for $1000 and the R9-290x going for $750, and considering that their 2009 equivalents went for $500(GTX 280) and $300(Radeon 4890), would it really be unreasonable to believe that AMD and nVidia are up to artificially raising prices again, like they did years ago?

http://gizmodo.com/5026729/email-reveals-nvidia-and-ati-may-have-colluded-to-inflate-prices

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-amd-ati-graphics,6311.html

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ati-and-Nvidia-Accused-of-Keeping-the-Prices-High-42077.shtml

It definitely feels like AMD and nVidia are price fixing again....

With the Titan going for $1000 and the R9-290x going for $750, and considering that their 2009 equivalents went for $500(GTX 280) and $300(Radeon 4890), would it really be unreasonable to believe that AMD and nVidia are up to artificially raising prices again, like they did years ago?

http://gizmodo.com/5026729/email-reveals-nvidia-and-ati-may-have-colluded-to-inflate-prices

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-amd-ati-graphics,6311.html

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ati-and-Nvidia-Accused-of-Keeping-the-Prices-High-42077.shtml

It definitely feels like AMD and nVidia are price fixing again....

Yet hordes of people will go out and plonk $700 on their new releases... They know it. They capitalize on it.... They have no reason to change their pricing policy... Simple as that....:rolleyes:

It definitely feels like AMD and nVidia are price gouging again....

fixed that for you.

Price fixing is illegal, and it means they are in collusion to fix prices. This is categorically not the case.

With the Titan going for $1000 and the R9-290x going for $750, and considering that their 2009 equivalents went for $500(GTX 280) and $300(Radeon 4890),

The 280 launched at $650. Nvidia had to drop their prices when amd release the 4xxx series that actually performed well out of no where. I remember the drove of complaints from people upset about the price drop right after they bought their overpriced cards lol.

This is kind of what I was hoping for again when I heard price on the 290x would be $500-599. Nvidia would have had to slash prices to compete and we could get away from these $700 single gpu cards.

nVidia is not innocent in artificially raising prices either, in fact, I'd believe that AMD and nVidia may be in coohoots with each other again (they were found guilty of manipulation of prices back in the Radeon x1800/Geforce 7800 days)
Maybe I remember differently than you, but I never had the impression that AMD had unreasonably high prices even when they had the performance crown. Every new generation improved price/performance ratio over the previous cards. On the other hand, when NVidia had the fastest card they made you pay through the nose for it (remember 8800 Ultra, GTX 280, Titan?)

If AMD learned anything from the 5870 launch, don't ask for less than your customers are willing to pay. Else the retailers will markup the price while availability is limited, and the extra profit goes to them.

Maybe I remember differently than you, but I never had the impression that AMD had unreasonably high prices even when they had the performance crown. Every new generation improved price/performance ratio over the previous cards. On the other hand, when NVidia had the fastest card they made you pay through the nose for it (remember 8800 Ultra, GTX 280, Titan?)

If AMD learned anything from the 5870 launch, don't ask for less than your customers are willing to pay. Else the retailers will markup the price while availability is limited, and the extra profit goes to them.

ATi cards where just as much as NV cards back in the 9x00 days up till AMD bought them
which was after ATi and NV got caught price fixing

fixed that for you.

Price fixing is illegal, and it means they are in collusion to fix prices. This is categorically not the case.

They did it before, and it seems like they are doing it again....How else do you explain the top of the line Single GPU card more than doubling in price in just 4 short years?

they did not do it before.

THEY ARE NOT PRICE FIXING...ITS ILLEGAL. THE FTC AND DOJ WOULD STRING THEM UP BY THEIR SHORT AND CURLIES.

you mean price gouging...and thats not illegal, and every company on the face of the planet does if they can.

price fixing=AMD & Nvidia sat down together and intentionally set price levels TOGETHER.

price gouging=charging as much as humanly possible in excess of the value of the product

Last edited:
300-350 seems to be my sweet spot. switched from 169+130 dollar 5770cf to a 309 dollar 6950 in december 2010 .so almost 3 years later i think a 280x/7970 is the best deal

So, I guess the release is tied to BF4, maybe? I think it's weird that they've be showing in Newegg as Coming Soon since the 8th and no Pre-Orders. I really don't understand what AMD is doing, but I guess they do.

I hope the announcement by Nvidia of the Geforce 780Ti has AMD rethinking the crappy $700 pricing for the Battlefield 4 special edition. AMD really needs to release the 290x for $550 to really shake things up, otherwise why would anyone bother with their cards? If it is true that the 290x performs more like factory overclocked 780s (first official benchmarks released by Tom Hardware), why should everyone have waited 6 months to purchase a similar performing card for around the same price? Plus, the release of the 780Ti could cause 780 prices to drop by $50 or so.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to what the 780ti does to Titan pricing....

they did not do it before.

THEY ARE NOT PRICE FIXING...ITS ILLEGAL. THE FTC AND DOJ WOULD STRING THEM UP BY THEIR SHORT AND CURLIES.

you mean price gouging...and thats not illegal, and every company on the face of the planet does if they can.

price fixing=AMD & Nvidia sat down together and intentionally set price levels TOGETHER.

price gouging=charging as much as humanly possible in excess of the value of the product

Do you not know HOW to click on the Links I provided showing they were found to be price fixing before and had to settle out of court, why would you settle out of court? To prevent the information from become too public and so they can do this bullshit again. This is happening again, and if you want to call it price gouging (which is incorrect) go ahead, but they are both causing GPU prices to be artificially high. You'll KNOW this if the 290x retails for more than $550. Because, think about it, the 7870 was their mainstream card last generation and at launch was priced at $350, now we have the R9-280x as the mainstream gaming card and it's going for $300. So, the next step up from the 7870 was? THAT'S RIGHT, the 7950, which today would be the R9-290, and the step up from that is the R9-290x which last gen equivalent was the Radeon 7970. So, The R9 280x is the new Radeon 7870, and priced similarly($300-$350), so it would stand to reason that the R9-290 should be $450 and the R9-290x should be $500-$550. If the R9-290x retails for more than $550, then you'll know that they are price-fixing again.

Do you own stock in AMD or nVidia, and just want to white wash the leaked emails showing colluding between the two companies to artificially raise prices?

Last edited:
Do you not know HOW to click on the Links I provided showing they were found to be price fixing before and had to settle out of court, why would you settle out of court? To prevent the information from become too public and so they can do this bullshit again. This is happening again, and if you want to call it price gouging (which is incorrect) go ahead, but they are both causing GPU prices to be artificially high. You'll KNOW this if the 290x retails for more than $550. Because, think about it, the 7870 was their mainstream card last generation and at launch was priced at $350, now we have the R9-280x as the mainstream gaming card and it's going for $300. So, the next step up from the 7870 was? THAT'S RIGHT, the 7950, which today would be the R9-290, and the step up from that is the R9-290x which last gen equivalent was the Radeon 7970. So, The R9 280x is the new Radeon 7870, and priced similarly($300-$350), so it would stand to reason that the R9-290 should be $450 and the R9-290x should be $500-$550. If the R9-290x retails for more than $550, then you'll know that they are price-fixing again.

Do you own stock in AMD or nVidia, and just want to white wash the leaked emails showing colluding between the two companies to artificially raise prices?

Nothing was ever proven. companies get these kinds of lawsuits all the time, it makes the lawyers money.

You do know what Accused means, yes?

There was no price fixing going on.

Post a link showing they were found guilty and i will concede.

Last edited:
You're right that it most likely is price gouging, however, one important thing you're forgetting is that by stating you know they aren't fixing prices as a fact is the same as someone accusing them of price fixing in the first place.

Both are nearly impossible to prove and are by no means easy to prove. Collusion can be between 2 senior top level people on both sides setting the pace for each of their respective organizations. Price fixing is incredibly difficult to prove even when it happens. Most times you only learn of price fixing after the fact, which can takes years or decades to prove all depending on how many people are aware of the collusion. Not to mention corporate lawyers make just as much money training senior management on what key words and phrases to use. You can easily collude without officially stating it.

you have a point.

I just hate people spreading FUD. it drives me crazy.

The original poster had stated as if they were found guilty, i felt compelled to speak up.

Also, if there was any merit to the accusations, the FTC would be right in there ready with the fine book.

AMD is doing a disservice to it's customers by allowing this to happen. they need to come out and say what the MSRP will be, so people have at least a good idea what's likely to be honored and what wont be.
MSRP doesn't matter though. Stores can sell for whatever they want. Newegg for instance is notorious for having a system in place that automatically raises prices as sales rates go up.

MSRP doesn't matter though. Stores can sell for whatever they want. Newegg for instance is notorious for having a system in place that automatically raises prices as sales rates go up.

They also drop prices on GPU's Friday through Saturday till midnight, then come Sunday no more. I used to sit and watch it for weeks, when I was shopping for a 7850, you would also see the game bundles appear, and then not be there come Sunday as well.

A shitty store just updated their pricing (less than an hour ago as of posting). Prices incl. 25% VAT:

MSI Radeon R9 280X: 328e (for reference)
MSI Radeon R9 290: 589e
MSI Radeon R9 290X: 748e

Last edited:
Back