AMD R&D Expenditure Down 40%

I would not worry about it. However, I am more concerned about what would happen in the console space. Also, AMD created the X86-64 extensions, if AMD goes out of business, I hope Intel will have to buy those extensions or stop using them. Otherwise, AMD made a horrendous deal with Intel and they deserve to die. :eek:
x86-64 is part of the cross-license agreement, so it's unlikely Intel paid AMD anything for it. It's the same for things in the other direction, like Intel's SIMD extensions that AMD uses.

The x86/x86-64 instruction set isn't really what's licensed, but the techniques and circuits to implement it can be under IP. The claim to x86-64 in Intel's processors might have been stronger for Prescott and later Netburst CPUs, but it's been completely reimplemented in Conroe and later CPUs, most likely to free Intel from any claims AMD might have had in the future. So no, there's probably nothing AMD can demand money for about x86-64, but that doesn't really matter because...

It's funny you bring it up, but AMD basically loses claims to everything if it's sold or goes out of business. See sections 3.9 and 5.2 of the current cross license agreement: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/2488/000119312509236705/dex102.htm lol, it seems AMD isn't exactly in a powerful bargaining position.

It's funny you bring it up, but AMD basically loses claims to everything if it's sold or goes out of business. See sections 3.9 and 5.2 of the current cross license agreement: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/2488/000119312509236705/dex102.htm lol, it seems AMD isn't exactly in a powerful bargaining position.

And that is the point, if AMD cannot be in powerful bargaining position, then they made a terrible bargain and deserve to die. :( Oh well, guess you cannot survive well if you do not make go decisions.

And that is the point, if AMD cannot be in powerful bargaining position, then they made a terrible bargain and deserve to die. :( Oh well, guess you cannot survive well if you do not make go decisions.

*good

If this is true, that's pretty fucked up and will cost them a lot of public support if the general (computer enthusiast) public finds out.

What bothers me is the "retention" bonuses of the previous folks that were not retained. :(:rolleyes: If this is true, seems like they are trying to strip everything they can before they ship sinks. (I feel bad for Jim Keller if that happens since he is really good at what he does.)

It's possible the CFO & CTO bonuses were earned, but not paid until a annual date? They could be smaller bonuses and had to wait months to get it.

If this is true, that's pretty fucked up and will cost them a lot of public support if the general (computer enthusiast) public finds out.
No it won't, this stuff happens all the time in major corporations and the public does exactly nothing about it. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be crucified for that however, they should, just that the public has been too numb to this sort of behavior for a long time now.

No it won't, this stuff happens all the time in major corporations and the public does exactly nothing about it. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be crucified for that however, they should, just that the public has been too numb to this sort of behavior for a long time now.

That, and the fact those who still vehemently defend AMD would do so even if they were caught eating babies; nothing will change that.

That, and the fact those who still vehemently defend AMD would do so even if they were caught eating babies; nothing will change that.
I will say that a whole lot of the controversies on AMD's side come across more as simply not being as competent as their competitors, but CEO bonuses at the same time you're slashing R&D with the company already on the ropes is just shit that needs to burn in a fire.

No wonder they had to cut R&D. They needed the money to reward their senior executives.

http://www.benzinga.com/analyst-rat...nalyst-on-amds-executive-bonuses-unbelievable

Why am I not surprised to find you in an AMD thread? How about linking to a story that shows how much those bonuses were? just a hint, bonuses are given for a wide variety of reasons and without knowing why they were handed out it is just plan stupid to post pointless shit like that "article."

Why am I not surprised to find you in an AMD thread? How about linking to a story that shows how much those bonuses were? just a hint, bonuses are given for a wide variety of reasons and without knowing why they were handed out it is just plan stupid to post pointless shit like that "article."

So I was looking for an article on exactly what those bonuses were and couldn't find anything, but I did find a Wall Street Journal article on AMD from 2011 with this nice little blurb about the leaving CEO's severance package: "Mr. Meyer left AMD with an severance package worth at least $23.8 million"

Did my facts offend you?

They gave them stock, not millions in cash. Looks like they're trying to keep their top people rather than cash out. If the company tanks that stock won't be worth much.

Obvious trolling is obvious.

Back