AMD Preview Unethical

Sniper_Merc

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.geek2eak.com/wordpress/2012/09/amd-preview-unethical/

I quickly moved to evaluate the other articles from AnandTech, TechPowerUp, X-bit Labs, and PC Perspective. Many had explicit or implicit warnings that this was only a part of the performance, and that AMD had directly forbidden them from releasing CPU benchmarks. A few even waxed philosophical about this move, as Wasson had in the TR blog post
Don't shoot the messenger on this one, I'm just cross posting it from FB :p

yeah i love how people say its unethical when EVERYONE does it.. AMD was actually the last company to start doing this crap. its a preview not an actual review. i have no clue why idiots like that think its unethical. but what ever.. people seem to always try to find a reason to bitch about AMD even when every other company has been doing what ever they bitch about for years.

messenger not shot in this post.. :D or should i have... hmmm... lol jk.

Too many people with Aspergers that cannot and will not be denied.......

Nothing to see here. Industry standard and they are just pointing fingers at one company that they dislike. Did you know Apple uses Foxconn and are supporting slave labor? Yea, same thing. Exposing ONE company for doing something that tons of them do.

This is total BS. The author seems to take the position, 'it's my info and I want it NOW.' Unfortunately, AMD, you know the company who actually owns the information, chose not to share it at this time. It may be a poor business decision from your viewpoint but, it is not unethical.

Totally hypocritical. This is common practice and he's totally disingenuously writing about it like it's some rare example.

Is it common practice?
I haven't run into it elsewhere.
Other companies have tried to tell me what benchmarks they would like me to use, but none have said "You can use these benchmarks. You cannot use those benchmarks".

I could see if AMD said that review sites can only run certain benchmarks AFTER the launch date, but this is BEFORE the products launch, so AMD is within their rights to limit what benchmarks can be discussed pre-NDA.

If someone doesn't like it, send it back, and wait till the products launch and benchmark them however they choose.

Here's an article from TechReport in case you guys want more information.

If AMD allows "pre-release" information to be released the reviewers will say:

It has the best IGP ever!!!!!!!11
*one week later*...but an alright CPU, platform, etc...

If AMD lets all the info come out at the same time:

It has the best IGP ever and everything else is alright.

Too many people with Aspergers that cannot and will not be denied.......

Assburgers ?

Get used to it the days where people know certain forums (for the in crowd) and people had a clue what they were talking about is long gone. Twitter Facebook , places of lowest living braincell activity sparks outrage drama and so on. Best way to deal with that is to "block" them, live becomes easier.

Is it common practice?
Other companies have tried to tell me what benchmarks they would like me to use, but none have said "You can use these benchmarks. You cannot use those benchmarks".

According to the TR article this is the first time they have come acrossed this in the 13 years they have been running their site.

So it's not common and it is shitty.

Is it common practice?

who are you reviewing for?

I believe what AMD said is that they can show only gaming benchmarks and power consumption. They didn't say which benchmarks could be released. VR-Zone found a way around this and showed gaming benchmarks with a discrete GPU to give an idea of how powerful the CPU is compared to an i5 Ivy Bridge.

Back