AMD Press Event @ The W hotel in SF

The Cobra

2[H]4U
Hi folks,

I am @ the AMD/ATI Press Event @ The W Hotel in San Francisco. I don't know what to expect, but I will post a follow up here after the event in a few hours after some free food and drink. ;)

Anth

Dave Anderson (head of business development for activision) is speaking now. He is chatting about developing cod:mw2 right now for the pc users.

Should I ask him why he abandoned the pc market when it was pc gamers who made that franchise what it is and why there is no dedicated server suppport for mw2?

Dave Anderson (head of business development for activision) is speaking now. He is chatting about developing cod:mw2 right now for the pc users.

Should I ask him why he abandoned the pc market when it was pc gamers who made that franchise what it is and why there is no dedicated server suppport for mw2?

Please no. That's a sure-canned response right there. Ask him something juicy about Infinity Ward's recent brain drain =)

Or better yet.. His thoughts on the industry's commital to TWIMTBP and other vendor-love programs.

He's a business suit though. I wouldn't expect much other than advertisements to leave his mouth =)

Ask him why BFBC2 is doing so well on the PC platform and not MW2, and whether that has any correlation with his "development for pc users"

Yeah, and ask about what you mentioned in post #5. And shoot down any precanned response from him.

I asked him about the cheating and lack of dedicated server support. He stated that "they are looking into it"

That's certainly a rehearsed answer to that. It's meaningless. Ask him about the sacking of the Infinity Ward devs, it's impact on MW2, and yeah, what was I saying about BFBC2 doing well against the MW2 juggernaut on PC?

hell just ask him when is everyone including the president/CEO of activision getting fired for destroying one of the greatest FPS war genre games on PC?

So are they going to drio 58XX prices?!?!

That would be sweet

Ask him why BFBC2 is doing so well on the PC platform and not MW2, and whether that has any correlation with his "development for pc users"

Yeah, and ask about what you mentioned in post #5. And shoot down any precanned response from him.

Honestly, how do you know this? Most of the sales (or at least a very nice chunk) for both games were digital so to be honest how does anyone know?

I bought CoD MW2 PC at launch. Still haven't picked up BC2 but will soon.

So does AMD actually have anything to announce?

Maybe the following?

Phenom II X6 1060T (3.3 Ghz HexaCore with Turbo Boost)
Phenom II X6 1040T (3.0 Ghz HexaCore with Turbo Boost)
Phenom II X6 1020T (2.8 Ghz HexaCore with Turbo Boost)
Phenom II X4 960T (3.3 Ghz QuadCore with Turbo Boost)

Radeon 5890 (975Mhz GPU)
Radeon 5860 (5850 with 5870 Clocks)
Radeon 5840 (24 Rops and 1280 shader processors)
Radeon 5790 (1Ghz 5770)

So does AMD actually have anything to announce?

That fermi sucks...err I mean they could release officially and/more go more in depth into the specs, release date and pricing information for the 2GB versions of the 5870/4GB verions of the 5970. It wouldn't really help that much. Maybe go a bit into depth regarding their plans for 3D support from third party vendors which is suppose to be part of Catalyst 10.4 I think.

I can def say when I asked him, there were a few *Gasps* from the crowd, but no major drama. I was just asking as a pure gamer and not as a developer. But it was def a very cool event.

AMD/ATI is throwing the barn door open as far as gaming. "They are dedicated to the gamer in all respects." The open source version of Physics being one. Another is the new "AMD Gamers Manifesto: A great gaming experience and a company committed to gamers, gaming and the spirit of fair play" This is taken directly from their slide show.

They also had some 6x2, 3x2 & 3x1 eyefinity setups that were pretty sweet. I will post some pictures later on of the slide show and the setups that they had there.

Nice seeing Kyle again. Cool question that you asked. Very on point.

I have things to do now. I will post back when I get some pics.

Anth

They alos had Chris Taylor from Gas Powered games and a gentleman from EA Dice explaining DX11 and how AMD helped them along with DX11 and Tessalation. Very cool stuff indeed.

That fermi sucks...err I mean they could release officially and/more go more in depth into the specs, release date and pricing information for the 2GB versions of the 5870/4GB verions of the 5970. It wouldn't really help that much. Maybe go a bit into depth regarding their plans for 3D support from third party vendors which is suppose to be part of Catalyst 10.4 I think.

Well I hope they don't suck too much as I plan on getting three GTX 480s unless AMD has something better right around the corner of course.

Well I hope they don't suck too much as I plan on getting three GTX 480s unless AMD has something better right around the corner of course.

5970s are faster. Why not just get 2 of those for 4 gpus doing tasks instead of 3 nvidia ones.

5970s are faster. Why not just get 2 of those for 4 gpus doing tasks instead of 3 nvidia ones.

because unless your running an insane resolution quad crossfire AND quad sli both scale like shit to the 4th GPU.. and seeing as how nvidia vision thing requires 2 cards in SLI.. i wonder if they will even support tri-sli with the nvidia vision shit.. but then again im sure it will since its 100% software based multi-monitor instead of hardware and software like eyefinity..

Because nVidia is only make a limited supply of them and they will likely sell out day 1. The Voodoo 5 5500 sold out, Geforce 5800 Ultra sold out and the Radeon 2900XT....I think sold out. People still bought those when an equal or better part was available (I bought a Voodoo 5 5500 at launch, then again, back then I was an idiot), some people just are used to brands (like my example, I had every voodoo card before the 5500 and had blinders to better cards from nVidia and ATI (Geforce 2 and Radeon 256) that were cheaper.

Good luck on finding three of them.
Thankfully I don't feel the need to upgrade and will watch from the sidelines.

totally didn't see this until now.. my office is on howard about 8 block away.. shoulda woulda coulda. ;)

Ask him why MW2 and ME2 don't have Eyefinity support!

As for ME2...I believe that was an art/design issue related to how closely AMD held Eyefinity to its chest prior to launch.

As for MW2....meh.

It was a good event though.

(I bought a Voodoo 5 5500 at launch, then again, back then I was an idiot), some people just are used to brands (like my example, I had every voodoo card before the 5500 and had blinders to better cards from nVidia and ATI (Geforce 2 and Radeon 256) that were cheaper.

Voodoo 5 owned the GeForce2 and Radeon in image quality. And if you look at [H]'s reviews back then, performance wasn't very far off.

I bet my 5500 still works too, though I'll never know since I don't have any machine with an AGP slot. My 3000 PCI does work.

Back