AMD Posts HDMI 2.1 FRL Patches

https://www.phoronix.com/news/AMDGPU-HDMI-2.1-FRL-Patches

If anyone has missed it.

By the power of Valve I compel thee.

I imagine this means steam machine is about to go on sale. Someone made the HDMI forum budge at least a little.
Even better eventually
1777658544093.png
 
Add yet another notch in Valve's belt of "good for openness, Linux, FOSS, the community, players, and other benefits". I've always had contempt for HDMI Consortium's refusal to even allow a binary blob or tiny driver element to grant fully open access years ago, much less the idea that the HDMI 2.1 standard itself isn't compatible with FOSS drivers. Valve, even if we look at it entirely cynically that its better for their bottom line, seems to be mutually beneficial in both short and long term for the average user.
 
I wonder….
The DoJ recently ruled against the NFL in their long standing antitrust case against them.

The NFL had a deal with the HDMI consortium specifically around HDMI DRM and screen mirroring.

The DRM component was one of the things that kept HDMI out of open source drivers.

Timing wise this is somewhat coincidental…..

I don’t trust coincidences, especially when it involves TV encryption and the NFL.
 
Thank goodness. Always thought that was absurd.

This just makes Linux even more attractive than it already is.
 
Back
Top