- Joined
- Apr 10, 2003
- Messages
- 23,532
That explains the current workflow we see today, involving only DirectX and OpenGL. It doesn't speak to any sort of fallback renderer for Mantle.
Right, so they're saying here that the port from DirectX to Mantle takes about four-to-six weeks. There's still no mention of any kind of fallback renderer for Mantle games on Linux.
So they'll spend four-to-six weeks to port to OpenGL (for everyone) and an additional four-to-six weeks to also port to Mantle (for users with AMD cards, who could already run their OpenGL port)?
The article doesn't actually state that, but even if it did, that seems like an odd division of effort.
They're still stuck porting to OpenGL if they want to support more than just a small sub-set of Linux users with Mantle-capable AMD graphics cards.
What is your statement about the fallback renderer supposed to mean? I took it to mean that you thought that Windows DX11 games that also happened to use a Mantle rendering path may not have an OpenGL path for Intel and Nvidia users. That's why I posted what I said before.