AMD Phenom

Interesting :confused:

I guess there is a trend for bad product names right now.

Interesting :confused:

I guess there is a trend for bad product names right now.

Phenom is pronounced as an abbreviated version of the word "phenomenal." AMD's guidance states that the company will promote its Phenom X4 and X2 processors under the premise that Phenom allows its users to "experience the Phenomenal."

I'm only worried about its Phenomenal Price LOL! I hope that it is not a Phenomenal Flopp and or takes a Phenomenal Cooler to Cool it. LOL! j/k

That's just a plain weird name.

It would be good if it lives up to it, though.

The all-time leading NFL receiver, Jerry Rice, used the word phenom during an interview IGN.com conducted this past week. Not that it matters... anyways I like the new name.

PhX4 sounds better when said over C2Q to me. my opinion, no facts to back it up. lol.

I seem to recall similar wariness when they introduced the Athlon and Duron names. People then were also like, "What the f...?" But at least Phenom has some basis in a root word. My real concern is this: We've been hearing a lot about Bearlake for Intel but... it's been awfully silent as to RD790 for the K10'ers. And even if they do get that out the door any time soon, if they use that awful SB600 they're stillborn. They need to borrow the better features from Intel (strong drivers, storage, stability) and nVidia (flexible storage options, i.e. no need for jMicron! Individual SATA assignation). If they can approach this mark, make it work with Phenom, and Phenom is as good as reviewers are hinting, then they could get back in the ball game. IF. Good luck to them, as I'd like to get back to AMD, and we all need a competitive market.

I dont know about Phenom....

To my ears it just sounds to harsh. I guess with time I'll become accustomed to it, but right now I just dont like it too much.

The name switch that tells the core and clock is VERY NICE. The phenom crap, not so much. Its a very presumptuous name.

Well, we have to remember AMD is probably considering it's ENTIRE market in the naming, that is to say, whatever name they choose must be transliterable and culturally appropriate (we've all seen what happens when that isn't taken into account when products are too literally translated into English from Chinese). Phenom would transliterate well here in China, where AMD seems to match Intel. I imagine it's the case in many places. If that's the consideration, then Phenom isn't such a bad choice.

And jakal, I agree with you about the convention switch!

I'm still pissed off at intel for dropping pentium (atleast from its high end) moniker from its chips, but core 2 duo/quad really isn't that bad, phenom however is and the guy who thought of that should be shot repeatedly,

I need Pentium 5 dammit.

AMD announcements sound cool, but they give no actual evidence. They talk about Barcelona and how it will knock down C2D, but they can't even prove this.

Phenom...reminds me of penile. They should just call it the Enigma, or super duper pooper scooper. Lol

At least Nintendo already Trademarked Wii.......

Phenom...reminds me of penile. They should just call it the Enigma, or super duper pooper scooper. Lol

At least Nintendo already Trademarked Wii.......

It reminds me too much of phallic? That is why I said it sounds too harsh. :D

It's an average name. I liked Athlon better. Better yet, I'd like K10. Maybe even Kryptonite. KrpX4 looks too much like "crap" x though. Of course, one could take PhX4 to mean "f**ks" if you pronounce it. Foursome anyone?

It sounds a bit french to me :p but it is kind of cool. Personally I like new names more than older names with numbers. I think that numbers can be more confusing like Core Duo, Core 2 Duo and some people will think that a geForce 7300 is better than geForce 6800 because the 7300 has a bigger number. I also hate the FX naming scheme and the Opteron naming scheme. Btw why do most names always have -on suffix? (Radeon, Athlon, Sempron, Celeron, Duron, and etc)

Actually the frackin' X is easier because you just need to count the number of X's to measure the performance lol. XFX X1950XTX XXX edition (I wonder if this card exists?)

I seem to recall similar wariness when they introduced the Athlon and Duron names. People then were also like, "What the f...?" But at least Phenom has some basis in a root word.
Athlon = Decathlon
If you prefer, athlon is Greek for "contest" or "competition."

I dunno, it's just as appropriate as Athlon from the standpoint of definition-relevance.

If AMD put 1/2 the manpower into getting Barcelona out the door that they put into devising ever changing performance schemes/ CPU numbers of whatever-you-may-call-it, we would have a chance of using those chips before xmas.

they shouldve called X2's "Biathlons"....... X4's (When they come :rolleyes: ) "Tetrathlons"....Octathlon..etc.

Name their chips whatever they want. If AMD doesn't shape up in the performance catagory, they will always shadow intel.

Its an ok name at best. simply a chop of phenomenal or phenomenon

As long as my cpu does not develop a tumor and run at
100x speed but burns out in 2 weeks..

its just another name.

Actually the frackin' X is easier because you just need to count the number of X's to measure the performance lol. XFX X1950XTX XXX edition (I wonder if this card exists?)

XXX edition hey? I wonder what kind of HD XXX videos/games they will include in the software package? :D

phenom sounds cool, but they could call it Crap-ton too if they beat peryn with it.

Back