amd phenom x4 965 black edition

mrcountry

n00b
I'm extremely new to this and I need help. I just purchased the ( amd phenom x4 965 black edition ) processor and I really need help to figure the best motherboard for my processor, something that is stable for overclock and also suggestions on a good modular power supply with cables long enough for the ( cooler master am-932-rwn1-gp ) full tower case that I purchased. Also need help with memory type etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been reading and on of the boards mentioned is the ( Asus M4A79T Deluxe & Crosshair Formula III ) Would one of these be my best option.

Last edited:
I have the AM2+ version of the Asus M4A79T Deluxe motherboard, and I love it. The layout is nice, and it can handle high overclocks. I don't have a lot of experience with DDR3 memory, so hopefully someone else can help you there. For my power supply I'm using a Silverstone Strider 750W and don't have any complaints.

Thanks for the information on the motherboard. That paticular board looks good with the exception of the bad reviews on newegg. I like the board and i'm going to search for more reviews on that board. I've never heard of the Silverstone Strider 750W power supply. How do you like it, any problems.

Thanks for the reply

I'm happy with my powersupply. The reason I chose it was because it was modular and the cables are sheathed. I bought it a while ago, and in the meantime I'm sure there are options that are better price/performance wise. You might get more replies if you post this in the General Hardware section, as there's more people who post there. They are some extremely helpful people.

I have a black 955 and I'm using the Asus M4A79XTD EVO. At the time it was cheap at zipzoomfly, I have mine OC to 3.8 and it's very stable without any problems what so ever.

The gigabyte mobo has gotten good reviews as well, that's mentioned above my post.

I will go with flynlr. I have the previous version of that board and if the new revision is anything like mine prepare to be wowed.

The GA-790FXTA-UD5 is a great board if you need one now with usb 3 and sata 6, otherwise wait for the Gigabyte 890 board.

I've got a GA-790FXTA-UD5 paired with a 955 too btw.

what about the new Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H? its has the new chipset and is hex-core compatiable. me personally im torn between this new chipset or an i7 setup. any input would be greatly appreciated.

If you got the money and want to upgrade, get a new i7 setup.

Also maybe take into consideration what box will be used for, 890 board might fit the bill perfectly.

I looked at the ( OCZ Memory ) and I can't find any sticks bigger than 2GB. Is that all they make is the 2GB sticks.

As far as the ( Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ) I ca't find anyone that is selling it, they list it as unavailable.

Apparently newegg is now selling the new gigabyte boards but are sold out.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435&Tpk=GA-890GPA-UD3H
There definitely cheaper then the GA-790FXTA-UD5 boards and nearly as good the question I have are you planning on running more then one video card and do you want to crossfire them? If not going to crossfire get either the UD4 board or the above mentioned 890 board. If you want to crossfire two video cards together I would recommend the UD5 board. the UD5 runs x16 x16 if you run two cards or x16 x8 x8 if you run 3. Both the UD4 and the 890 board will run two cards at x8 x8. So the UD5 is more suited to crossfire.

Back