AMD Phenom II X6 1075T $239.99 w/ $40 newegg gift card

MISMCSA

2[H]4U
AMD sure gives nice perf/price! I picked up my x6 two weeks ago and am very happy with the performance.

MISMCSA - we got very similar builds. I got start OC mine soon!!

AMD sure gives nice perf/price! I picked up my x6 two weeks ago and am very happy with the performance.

MISMCSA - we got very similar builds. I got start OC mine soon!!
well not really if you were doing a build from scratch and factor in efficiency. an i5 750/760 platform can be had for same price and is faster and uses less power. the i5 also has much more overclocking headroom and scales better with very high end gpu setups.

well not really if you were doing a build from scratch and factor in efficiency. an i5 750/760 platform can be had for same price and is faster and uses less power. the i5 also has much more overclocking headroom and scales better with very high end gpu setups.

I agree, i5 would be a good build as well (both are). If you have a need for a 6 core system on a budget, then AMD x6 is ideal.

With the 1055T availble for $170, and OC'able to 4Ghz, it's hard to beat that price/performance. $28 per 4Ghz core.

depends on which AMD....the 955's will hit 4ghz, though its not as far as an i5 has to go, but they both have about the same OC top (4ghz on good air)......and a AMD Hex/Quad will push two 480s at 4.0ghz the same and as effectively as a i5 at 4.0 ghz.....

depends on which AMD....the 955's will hit 4ghz, though its not as far as an i5 has to go, but they both have about the same OC top (4ghz on good air)......and a AMD Hex/Quad will push two 480s at 4.0ghz the same and as effectively as a i5 at 4.0 ghz.....
absolutely not true. for one thing AMD is not as fast clock for clock and it does not scale as well with high end sli/crossfire. this was true even on sli gtx285 in cpu intensive games and would even be more noticeable on sli gtx480.

heck this 5870 crossfire review here did not even use many of the current well known cpu intensive games such as Bad Company 2, Dragon Age, Ghostbusters, Prototype, GTA 4, Red Faction Guerrilla and others. still even in the games they used the i5 was usually much better than the Phenom 2. heck even at 2560 the Phenom 2 is considerably slower in some cases. at 1920 and with faster gtx480 cards the i5/i7 would clearly be the superior cpu. http://www.legionhardware.com/artic...ossfire_cpu_scaling_performance_part_2,3.html

"For the most part the Core i7 9xx and Core i5 7xx series were in a league of their own. Something that we did also find surprising was the fact that for the most part the Core i3 5xx series kept pace with the Phenom II X4 on a clock-for-clock basis."

and also here the i7 is clearly superior for a 5870 crossfire setup.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5870-cpu-scaling_4.html#sect0

Last edited:
You guys c'mon don't be childish. To each his own, if you favor six physical cores to four physical/eight logical then your choice. Yes the i5 and i7 quads overclock better, but the 1090T? Unlocked multipliers on a six-core processor for ~$250? I read a review on the 1090T a while ago and it kept up with a stock i7 975 at stock.

Whatever you got, enjoy it. Game on, compute on, live a digital life.

EDIT: I also remembered: Amazon has the 1090T for the same price right now, with Prime shipping and no tax to CA, NJ, etc. It may be helpful to also post the link to Amazon for those who live in CA, like myself.

Last edited:
yes either setup is fine but facts are facts. the i5 platform costs about the same and uses less power while having more oc headroom and being faster. it also scales better with high end sli/crossfire if that is a concern. other than that they will give you basically the same overall experience.

the i5 platform costs about the same and uses less power while having more oc headroom and being faster. it also scales better with high end sli/crossfire if that is a concern.

Agreed. i5 700 is the power miser!!! No HT = cool power-sipping.

Btw, if you were building from scratch I think one of the microcenter QC or x6 deals with free board would be a cost effective & decent performing gaming solution.

I don't know a single person (personally) with 480...(it's a bad investment for general computing hardware when a faster cpu, more ram, or ssd makes more of a difference when not gaming...)

how is amd and intel clock per clock wise these days?
and what kind of volt are you guys who oced those phenom shooting for?
and I see cpu core volt
vdd volt
nd volt and etc
what are those?
oh and Master Hyper 212 Plus is it really worth it?

Intel and AMD both overclock to about 4GHz on 45nm, but as clocks go up Intel dominates. i5 and i7 both go get insane above 3.6GHz, they're kinda so-so at stock, if you have a 920 or 750

oh and Master Hyper 212 Plus is it really worth it?

On Prime 95, Core i5 750 with CM Hyper 212+, 3.2GHz Turbo On, Stock Voltages all around: 63, 60 , 63, and 57 C are my temps after 15 min.

At least with the am3 you get bulldozer without a new mobo.

Native sata3 6gbps if you rool sb850, nice for next gen sdd's.

Intel isn't rolling native until maybe 2012. Maybe not a big deal for all.

I'm on the fence as I have a c2quad, and I don't want to buy i7/i5 to buy again at sandy bridges.

I'm on the fence as I have a c2quad, and I don't want to buy i7/i5 to buy again at sandy bridges.
Bulldozer may not actually be compatible with AM3. at least some of its features wont.

I suggest you find out Intel's roadmap and don't lock yourself into a socket with an 18 month lifespan like I did. 1366 is solid, at least until LG2011, but that's not for a while. I'd go 1366 or wait for Bulldozer.

when ocing I just look at the cpu core voltage? and not the other hundred voltage rights? and just to make sure the phenoms don't benefit from triple channel memory correct?

when ocing I just look at the cpu core voltage? and not the other hundred voltage rights? and just to make sure the phenoms don't benefit from triple channel memory correct?
AMD does not use triple channel. and the other voltages do matter so you need to take your question to the cpu or overclocking sub forum for detailed help.

Back