AMD Personal Internet Communicator

So can I finnaly tell apple to shove their $500.00 mac mini.... somewhere else? :D

well its a geode 400mhz proc = 533 as far as i can tell.. so not quite as fast, and as yet doesnt look like you can hack it with linux... but still a sweet deal and size none the less

That is sweet. If i can find someone who got linux loaded on it i might consider... (need ssh at the min; and would be a fun personal web server i think

That is sweet. If i can find someone who got linux loaded on it i might consider... (need ssh at the min; and would be a fun personal web server i think
The technical specs say it supports Linux. I guess its just a matter of getting it in there.

Monkey34 said:
The technical specs say it supports Linux. I guess its just a matter of getting it in there.

The retail PIC BIOS is locked to prevent anything but the PIC hard drive image (with WinCE) from working. The Geode processor is a K7 design that is naturally x86 compliant and other versions of the PIC hardware do have the ability to run Linux or possibly WinXP. It would make the basis for a great carputer (built in 12v power supply, low power draw, small form factor).

Fenris_Ulf said:
The Geode processor is a K7 design that is naturally x86 compliant and other versions
The Geode GX is a Cyrix design (old MediaGX "system on a chip") that AMD purchased. But the rest of your statement is correct. AMD locked the Geode GX boards from booting any other OS.

bob said:
So can I finnaly tell apple to shove their $500.00 mac mini.... somewhere else? :D

Only a few problems, the mini is:

Faster
Has a better OS
Way Way Way Prettier.

Still a good deal :p

A cheap simple machine that I intend to buy for my wife so that she can stop borking my legacy gaming rig with her idiotic internet habits..
If all you need is web browsing, e-mail, word processing, and solitair or flash games, it looks like a good deal...

But how well does it fold ;)

GORANKAR said:
A cheap simple machine that I intend to buy for my wife so that she can stop borking my legacy gaming rig with her idiotic internet habits..
If all you need is web browsing, e-mail, word processing, and solitair or flash games, it looks like a good deal...

But how well does it fold ;)

The thing couldn't fold a paper airplane, let alone a single protein.

It would kick ass for a carputer, as mentioned, if it didn't lock the os down. O well.

this might finally be the thing I need to get my grandmother away from her webtv ;)

nice... has both a 56k modem, and ethernet. im trying to figure out an excuse to buy one hah.

chrisf6969 said:
if it wasn't for the rebate it might be ok.

For $99 - $299 you can find E machines, GQ, Compaqs, etc... at Fry's every other week with much better specs and Linspire or Windows XP. (usually around the $200-250 mark)

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4568777?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG - $269

Eh for some its not the price thats the big deal, its the idea of something in a small package, be great hooked up to a small LCD as a secondary computer on your desk and can have the tones going, or a movie etc. Add a touch screen, attach this to the back of the LCD.. and away you go :)

I think the form factor is the main draw for this. You are right that you can sometimes get a better deal on a minitower.

God I really wish AMD would just do a formal release of geode chips in the U.S. Amd has been very heavily supported by the enthusiast/hobby market, and once again this is something that appeals to us.

There are so many things that you could do with this. I want an HTPC for playing back stuff I download, or surfing the net on my new tv, but don't need to do anything else. DVR and consoles handle tv and gaming, so building something new is overkill, a geode (the 6 watt, 1 ghz variety) would be perfect, they are K7 based too!

Or a carputer, or turning an old lcd into a programmable picture frame....the list just goes on, especially if you can through linux on there. Then this thing could do just about anything.

Zyzzyva100 said:
God I really wish AMD would just do a formal release of geode chips in the U.S. Amd has been very heavily supported by the enthusiast/hobby market, and once again this is something that appeals to us.

There are so many things that you could do with this. I want an HTPC for playing back stuff I download, or surfing the net on my new tv, but don't need to do anything else. DVR and consoles handle tv and gaming, so building something new is overkill, a geode (the 6 watt, 1 ghz variety) would be perfect, they are K7 based too!

Or a carputer, or turning an old lcd into a programmable picture frame....the list just goes on, especially if you can through linux on there. Then this thing could do just about anything.

Not that Geode, read the link I posted above. That 400mhz Cyrix based CPU is a steaming pile of poo, the Via C3 stomps it all over the playground, even when downclocked, and we all know how good of a CPU that is. I doubt that the Geode GX based CPU's can even decode a DVD without stuttering.. MP3 would be about it's limit.

The Geode NX chips are the K7 based ones. The Geode GX CPUs just plain suck.

==>Lazn

Lazn_Work said:
Not that Geode, read the link I posted above. That 400mhz Cyrix based CPU is a steaming pile of poo, the Via C3 stomps it all over the playground, even when downclocked, and we all know how good of a CPU that is. I doubt that the Geode GX based CPU's can even decode a DVD without stuttering.. MP3 would be about it's limit.

The Geode NX chips are the K7 based ones. The Geode GX CPUs just plain suck.

==>Lazn
Thats what I was talking about, the NX chips. Granted I wasn't too clear given the device linked to initially uses the crappy version.

Jason711 said:
i think the real question is if it can be overclocked.
Only you could think about OC such a poor thing... :p

Having said that, it's really sad to see that Linux cannot be installed on the PIC... :( Can you imagine how much you could speed it up with a distro like Damn Small Linux? :eek:

Back