AMD Performance Drivers out.

Ok, installed fraps. on 8x SSAA I get 30-50 FPS outside and 60 fps (vsync) inside with all graphic settings maxed.

on 4x SSAA I get 60fps locked (with vsync) at all times inside or out. Very sweet.

Oh and that's at 2560x1440!

TESV2011-11-2312-11-01-25.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, installed fraps. on 8x SSAA I get 30-50 FPS outside and 60 fps (vsync) inside with all graphic settings maxed.

on 4x SSAA I get 60fps locked (with vsync) at all times inside or out. Very sweet.

Oh and that's at 2560x1440!

SSAA is most likely not working with your setup then. There's not likely a modern game available that will run on current hardware at 8xSSAA with any decent framerate. You may be getting MSAA to run at that framerate at 8x, but SSAA is very VERY hard to believe. I can buy 4xSSAA possibly if the drivers have really provided a big boost but even its still ahrd to imagine without a crossfire setup.

My dual 6870's will run 2xSSAA at 1920x1080 at 60fps solid, but 4xSSAA will drop the framerate in half.

SSAA is most likely not working with your setup then. There's not likely a modern game available that will run on current hardware at 8xSSAA with any decent framerate. You may be getting MSAA to run at that framerate at 8x, but SSAA is very VERY hard to believe. I can buy 4xSSAA possibly if the drivers have really provided a big boost but even its still ahrd to imagine without a crossfire setup.

My dual 6870's will run 2xSSAA at 1920x1080 at 60fps solid, but 4xSSAA will drop the framerate in half.

One 6990 is a Crossfire setup in-and-of-itself. Additionally, it would have 2GB per GPU, vs the 1GB per GPU each 6870 would have - which would allow for much higher limits on AA.

I do run in 4xSSAA with my 6990 @ 6970 speeds.

I do sip below 30fps every once in awhile, but its mostly playable and REALLY looks badass.

With these drivers, I use the AFR friendly mode with Super Sampling and it works great. And, yes you can REALLY notice the SSAA going

For me at 3240x1920 running w/ 1 6970 OC at Ultra w/ improved shadows, but 2 xAA game runs around 30-50 fps. Highly playable. Same settings used to get me about 10-20 fps before doing the extra memory mod and game would crash every minute. I couldn't make it through the intro without the mod, skyrim uses lots of memory, I initial thought it might of been VRAM.

I still get crashes every few hours kinda at random and I think its the game having memory limitation issues again. Battle of Whiterun was really bad for me at the gate and I crashed multiple times inside of 10 minutes (more than the previous 20 hours of play). Aggressive quick saving got me through it eventually. Considering how there was lots of extra projectiles and models on screen in addition to graphics effects I think it memory again. Could of been VRAM, but I wasn't noticing a large fps drop it was just random crashes with lots of stuff going on.

My 6990 is under water and I run it at 950/1450. That is the equivalent of two 6970 highly OCed.

It is SSAA and I run it at 4x because at 8x outdoors I frequently end up in 30 FPS range and it's noticeably less smooth. The IQ between 8x and 4x is barely noticeable at 1440p anyway.

Edit: I used the same settings as DASHIT for the custom profile.

I got a profile setup, but it still runs like ass and I have all kinds of wierd texture corruption, and my horse is now see through. I'm getting high utilization on both gpus, but I still get negative crossfire scaling. I tried the different crossfire settings (default, Afr, etc) and no difference. Did any of you do before and after benchmarks? I wonder if you're really seeing an improvement or not. With my single 6970, I get a constant 60fps with some dips into the mid 40's with every setting maxed(as well as some improved ini settings) and msaa @1920x1200. With cf I'm averaging ~30fps.

I got a profile setup, but it still runs like ass and I have all kinds of wierd texture corruption, and my horse is now see through. I'm getting high utilization on both gpus, but I still get negative crossfire scaling. I tried the different crossfire settings (default, Afr, etc) and no difference. Did any of you do before and after benchmarks? I wonder if you're really seeing an improvement or not. With my single 6970, I get a constant 60fps with some dips into the mid 40's with every setting maxed(as well as some improved ini settings) and msaa @1920x1200. With cf I'm averaging ~30fps.

What were you exact settings? All I did is override the AA method to SSAA and set it in game to 4x AA in game along with all other settings maxed. And you need to set the crossfire method to adaptability.

I have a bug when I press Escape like a flashing green texture in the background, but in game everything is fine.

Edit: Well, I went ahead and did a system restore. I then went ahead and tried the 11.11a drivers. I also see that EA just patched Battlefield. Don't know if it's the patch or the 11.11a drivers or a combination of both, but most of my microstuttering is gone now. The game is much, much smoother now. Man, the graphics in this game are just insane. Very pleased now. :)

This^

BF3 is butter with no stutter. (See what i did there?) This is with HT enabled.

What were you exact settings? All I did is override the AA method to SSAA and set it in game to 4x AA in game along with all other settings maxed. And you need to set the crossfire method to adaptability.

I have a bug when I press Escape like a flashing green texture in the background, but in game everything is fine.

I had the same AA settings as you. I tried MSAA too and it made no difference. I'll try changing the CF setting and see if that makes any difference.

They both makes texture blurry....

Some people call it smooth for some odd reason....;)

SSAA will only blur textures if the texture LOD isn't adjusted. When you put it to -1 for 4xSAA it looks like it should, at least on AMD hardware(tested on 6970, 5870, and 5770).

I do run in 4xSSAA with my 6990 @ 6970 speeds.

I do sip below 30fps every once in awhile, but its mostly playable and REALLY looks badass.

With these drivers, I use the AFR friendly mode with Super Sampling and it works great. And, yes you can REALLY notice the SSAA going

4xSSAA ran for me well in certain areas but I had to turn it down in my CPU dependant areas because I'd not only get the GPU drops, I'd get CPU bogdowns too. It made the game really unplayable. Everything was okay until I hit that long alleyway in Solitude and walking through Riverwood. I toned it back to just 4XMSAA.

So felluz, what's the verdict? Are these drivers better for battlefield 3 than using 11.11a hotfix with 11.11 Cap 1 or 2?

What type of performance boosts are you guys getting with these and are there any stability issues worth mentioning. I'm currently only playing battlefield 3.

11.11 Cap 2 here, and the patch smoothed things out considerably (much to the consternation of the other players in our server).

I'll upgrade drivers next when they fix Skyrim in an official release.

New 11.11b drivers released.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=354664

Enables Crossfire for Skyrim, but no release notes as of now so it might be even better.

Damn I'll try these tomorrow. I just went through driver hell with the drivers in this OP. My experience with them is that they cause a CTD in battlefield. I NEVER had one before that driver. Good to go now and I'm on 11.11a with the latest cap. These may be different but after spending the last hour going in safe mode with atiman uninstaller and driver sweeper etc... I'm a little over driver installing now. Thanks for posting this though. If anyone tries these with battlefield or skyrim please post your experience. These are nowhere to be found at amd.com as of now. They may post tomorrow. I'm really curious about the release notes. Could these finally add performance to battlefield 3? Perhaps maybe even fix the massive hit when enabling deferred AA. Also I wonder if Rage gets any love from this driver.

Catalyst 11.11b performance driver

Last Updated
11/25/2011
Article Number
GPU-38

AMD Catalyst 11.11b performance driver features:

New in Catalyst 11.11b:

Delivers AMD CrossfireX performance scaling for (Elder Scrolls Skyrim and Assassin’s Creed: Revelations)

Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Delivers AMD CrossfireX performance scaling
Improves performance 2-7% on single GPU configurations
Resolve corruption seen when enabling Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing on the AMD Radeon HD 6970 Series
Assassin’s Creed: Revelations
Batman Arkham City
Improves DirectX 11 performance for single GPU configurations
Rage
Resolves a number of image / stability issues seen with the title:
Fix geometry corruption, sometimes seen in Bash TV entrance
Fix issues with Low-memory conditions on 32bit systems.
Fix issue with extreme corruption with missing textures on 32bit systems.
Fix memory leaks when deleting/reusing sync objects.
Fix hitching and pausing, especially noticeable on some Quad Core systems when doing races and Stanley Express runs.
Fix some missing shadows
Battlefield 3
Resolves intermittent corruption seen when playing the game at specific camera angles

Instructions:

Download and install the Driver from the following location:
AMD Catalyst 11.11b Performance Driver for Windows® vista & Windows® 7
AMD Catalyst 11.11b Performance Driver for Windows® XP
Installing the AMD Catalyst™ Software Driver
Installation information can be found at: How to Install Your AMD Product.
AMD Catalyst™ Crew Driver Feedback
This driver release incorporates suggestions received through the AMD Catalyst™ Crew Driver Feedback program. To provide us with your feedback, visit Catalyst™ Crew Driver Feedback.

Note! This Driver is provided “AS IS” in accordance with the End User License Agreement.

Applicable Products:
This article applies to the following configuration(s):

Software
Batman Arkham City
Rage
Battlefield 3
Elder Scrolls : Skyrim
Assassin’s Creed: Revelations
Hardware
AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series
AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series
Operating Systems