AMD Overclock?

jedisme

Limp Gawd
Help a noob overclocker :)
4400+ chip, Asus m2a-vm, Kingston DDR2 800 mhz.
First time overclocker here, I need as much info as possible (step-by-step if possible):p
HELP!

since this is your first time overclocking.. you might want to do some searching first on how amd chips overclock.. because it is no where close to the same as intel chips..

1. the 4400 multi is locked
2. you have to deal with the FSB + HT link + ram timing + voltages

so the easiest route to go with it.. so set your ram to ddr2 400(200mhz) it will give you more headroom for overclocking.. then set your HT(sometimes called HTT or HT link, each board is different) to 3x which will again give you more head room..

save that in the bios.. boot up and make sure everything still works.. download and run cpu-z check all the numbers are correct..

then start overclocking with the FSB and voltage.. raise the FSB 5-10mhz at a time.. save it.. boot up.. make sure everything works.. and go back to doing it again.. once it becomes unstable.. increase the voltage..

or if you know your cooling is good on that chip.. you can increase the voltage from the start.. i have no clue what the stock voltage is for the 4400+ but set the voltage to 1.45v and slowly work your way up with the FSB.. and watch your temps when you are running prime95 to make sure its stable..

its completely trial and error and takes a lot of patience and bios resetting.. if ya cant handle that.. then dont try it.. also do some google searches for reviews on that processor.. you may find the overclocking numbers for it.. i typically go by what the reviews say because usually they suck at overclocking AMD processors and never reach the maximum of what the chip can do..

Thank you very much Sirmonkey, worked great. However, I did notice a loss in FPS when I ran the video stress test in HL2 FPS dropped from 118-85, what happened? I assumed I would get more FPS with a higher clock??
Also, which heatsink would you recommend? I am using just the stock HS.

your frame rate probably went down because your HT link speed is to low.. take a screen shot of CPU-Z.. the main section and the memory section and post it here and ill be able to tell you why..

i wouldnt go that much higher with the stock heatsink.. 2.6 should be doable on the stock voltage..

i run my x2 BE-2350 brisbane @ 1.38v 3.05ghz.. the 4400 is close to the same chip but i dont know if it can do 3ghz..

for that chip.. the artic freezer pro or 64 cant remember the name of it.. should work fine.. my 2350 only hit 51C at full load on the stock cooler..

Back