AMD opteron 165 or Intel D 920

x10

Gawd
ok I've come to 2 options:
an AMD Opteron 165 on an ABIT KN8 SLI with 2GB Corsair XMS 3500 & evga 7800 gt

Cost: ~$820

or

a Pentium D 920 on an ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe with 2GB Corsair XMS 3500 & evga 7800 gt

Cost: ~$850

The machine will be doing everyday workloads (excel, photoshop, etc), gaming (primarily BF2) and also so video work (dvd encoding and what not)

i'd like to run bf2 at near max settings...at maybe 1280 x 1024 or so...

which will perform better for me?

no opinions?

just a simple intel or amd answer would be nice...

thank you!

so i should go with the amd setup or look for a different intel setup?

I like the opteron.. I'm leaning toward a 170 though only because of the 10x multiplier when trying to overclock.. a lot of the opterons can overclock to 2.7 ghz which would be 300 mhz front side bus on a 165 but only 270mhz with the 170. From what I've researched a lot the mainstream motherboards out there start to get unstable around the 270 mark.. I'm no expert, but I've read a ton and I'm starting to lean to the 170 just because of this multiplier..

The 170 is about $70 more or so but it starts you out at 2.0 ghz stock instead of 1.8ghz..

From everything I've seen, a stock AMD beats the equivalent pentium in games especially, and an overclocked amd whoops on every intel except maybe the intel 965 EE which is over $1000..

so how would this amd setup run bf2?

anybody have a similar setup running??

x10 said:
so how would this amd setup run bf2?

anybody have a similar setup running??

The CPU isn't going to be all that incredibly important as far as your gaming performance goes becuse both CPU's your looking at are pretty high-end. The video card you choose will delegate the performance your going to see in BF2. The 7800 GT will run BF2 great so you shouldn't have any problem there.

InorganicMatter said:
I'd go for the 920 simply because they overclock so well.

And the 165's are overclocking monsters....

This 1.8ghz part is routinely overclocked to 2.6-2.7ghz and not uncommon to see 2.8ghz - on AIR.

so after overclocking with the original heatsink and fan...the amd to 2.6 and the intel to whatever is the average...which would perform better?

i'm so torn...

would the pentium 930 do me better? worth the money for 200mhz more?

x10 said:
so after overclocking with the original heatsink and fan...the amd to 2.6 and the intel to whatever is the average...which would perform better?
Didn't read the article I linked to? There is no difference! Just go with whatever brand you like better (or is cheaper - which in this case is Intel).

ok well i've always liked intel so i will go with it...

now the choice is between the 920 and 930...
the 920 is 255 at newegg
the 930 is 330..

is the 200mhz difference worth $75 bucks?

two more questions:

1.) recommend a nice mobo...i've always liked asus and abit

2.) recommend a power supply and wattage...

there may be no difference in gaming, but what about in other areas. The opty OWNS i mean OWNS the intel in other areas

IF you want advice, take it. People differ in opinions but use what has been said and research it yourself. Quit being redundant by asking questions that instantly jump to another what if case. Your also thread crapping in your own thread. Go read some more if your actually serious about building a machine.

If you know your hardware then you know what YOU want. If not .... other people don't know what YOU want, therefore you should educate yourself further.

Id go AMD bc I am more familiar with AMD and bc the benchmarks yield higher, what more can we help you with? Either WILL be excellent. The video card is abundant. Just make a decision. Why does every post like this turn into a tangental universe digitally captured and placed into a visual thread continuation. You are going to make the universe collapse by some causality interference, I just want to live man.

I don't mean to be cocky, and yes, my information adds to the tangent if you thought ahead for a legitimate comeback. It does however seem necessary to end the prolonged longevity of this crisis though.

ok i guess it that what it comes down to is whatever i get will be much faster / better than my p4 1.6 with 1gb ram and an ati 9700...

Is the OP not planning to get ddr2 for the 920 system? Im pretty sure the same ram won't work on both systems.

banned_user said:
Is the OP not planning to get ddr2 for the 920 system? Im pretty sure the same ram won't work on both systems.
That is something to consider, if you go Intel you will spend an extra $60 since you'll need some DDR2. If you go AMD, you'll be able to use your current RAM.

Yeah, looked at the original post and he definetely is clueless since he planned on using his curret DDR-440.

Intel's Pentium D's use DDR2. DDR2 is cheaper and faster than DDR.
AMD's use DDR. DDR is slow and more expensive than DDR2.

AMD is going to implement DDR2 shortly. Going Intel will be a little extra, DDR2 currently goes for around $70/GB so that is definetely something to factor into the price.

Back