AMD Opteron 165 Denmark $105.99 shipped

3.0Ghz? I think not. 2.8 ~ 2.9 is a great overclock. 2.5-2.7 is more idealistic.

Even with my RAM at lower settings I can't get past 2.55Ghz, and my best friend can't get his past 2.4ghz. We've had them over a year now.

But yes, great price. Feb. 2006 these things were ~$320.
Depreciation hurts.

But for $105, it sure beats the snot out of the E6320 / E6400 for value. If only DDR 3200 were the same price as DDR 2.

Wow My 165 does 2.7 no problem it's even stable at 2.8 (see sig).

90NM or not does not really matter if it serves your purpose. I didn't think I would be able to get anything for my chip. I did have to boost the voltage to 1.45V after getting a new PSU.

THinking about selling it soon, but why?

yeah i saw this earlier this evening. amazing price. the stepping that newegg seems to have in stock right now seem to be doing rather well.

That is so freaking wrong. I bought it for over $150 a couple months ago. And it runs so hot!!!

:mad:

Mine was $155-ish in October 2006... best cpu for your s939. Mine is running at 2.44Ghz stable with Ok ram.

Bought one for $149 at the end of October from Monarch just before they went belly-up. Will run 2.85GHz stably, but a bit toasty during the warm weather. So it chugs along at 2.75GHz @ 55C.

wow nice price. Payed 300 last year. 2.7ghz stable. I wish ddr1 was cheap like ddr2 and id upgrade my server pc.

Not to start a flame war. But does this chip perform as well as the e4300? Im going to be building from the ground up soon and I want the best bang for my buck.

I have the best stepping but the worst oc mobo. 2.0GHz FTL.

I only paid like $135 @ newegg around xmas. anyone want a CCBBE ?

Ouch, I knew the eVGAs (NF47?) are a bit, umm temperamental, but my ATX board (NF41) hits 2.4-2.6 no problem (on a 0547 165). Have you tried certain things like switching your memory from one color slot to the other (ie: blue -> yellow, vice versa, assuming not all 4 are populated of course)? I remember some people having luck with that on the NF41...Perhaps it just doesn't like the chips your G.Skill sticks are using? [edit] Gskill F1? What's that? It's the last 2 bits that are more important - ie: 3200-xxxx-2GBHZ; they seem to use either F1 or F2 across ALL of their lines. If they're any of the Samsung based sticks, like seem most popular for the DDR1 G.Skills (Ramlist, that could be your problem...Speaking for the NF41 in particular, it was sticks like this, esp the 2GB HZ kits especially that were particularly problematic in the eVGA (+related BIOS issues).

As far as the 165 -> any Core chip debate goes, I'd only really go for this (or any S939 for that matter) to drop in an existing setup...With dirt cheap DDR2/low end C2D prices, and the impending drop on the Q6600's, I'd only go for that (S775/Intel) for a new build right now - with the performance (and $$$ of course) of the consumer Barcelona chips still unknown at this point.

On a related note, the 'Egg has the 3800+ (higher multi, but lower L2) for $83 (OEM), if that floats your boat. Not the cheapest I've seen it recently, but still dirt cheap for a nicely overclockable CPU nonetheless.

Not hot - this thing is a generation old and it should be less than $60. You are better off getting a Brisbane for way cheaper or a Conroe for a bit more.

Wow! :eek: I paid $250 less than a year ago from Monarch with a coupon for an OEM version. Currently sitting at 2.8GHz 24/7 stable at stock voltage, though this is an atypical stepping that I have as well. This is a fantastic deal for those still on a single core 939 setup and aren't afraid to overclock. :cool:

On a related note, the 'Egg has the 3800+ (higher multi, but lower L2) for $83 (OEM), if that floats your boat. Not the cheapest I've seen it recently, but still dirt cheap for a nicely overclockable CPU nonetheless.
Ewiz has the 939 X2 X3800 for $73

Alright I have an original Asus Nforce4 SLI 939 mobo and a gig of ram. Do you think it would be reasonable to grab this and sit on my system for a while longer? OR should I just hang on with 3200+ A64 single core? I am just not sure whether I should bother to upgrade my system at all or just hold on (I can still play and do anything at pretty reasonable speeds) until the next wave of sockets (AM3 isn't too far off)

Not hot - this thing is a generation old and it should be less than $60. You are better off getting a Brisbane for way cheaper or a Conroe for a bit more.

It's good for someone who wants to get more life out of his S939 system and not have to get a new motherboard, new (DDR2) RAM, etc.

I just bought an X2 4200+ (Toledo) a few weeks ago and am running it at the stock 2.2 GHz. At these prices, I might've bought an Opteron 170 or 175. : \

Anyone want to buy my old 3200+ (Venice) in a retail box w/ the stock HSF? :D

Finally... I wondered who would make the obligatory "this chip sucks because you should upgrade everything for 3x the price" statement. Not looking at the big picture FTL.

I'm pretty sure you can't find better for 939.

Agreed, and it's a great proc, but honestly unless you are able to push the 165 to ~2.8 - 3.0 Ghz you're probably better off going C2D, especially when considering the average overclocks of the 6320 and 6420... all things being equal (e.g. cost to upgrade mobo and switch to DDR2)

The best that I could ever get out of my 165 was 2600Mhz @ 1.59v:(

3ghz stable for mine. cost like 250 though.

ccbbe and ccb1e were pretty amazing overclockers. :D

My old CCBBE 0617XPMW would do 2.7GHz at stock voltage but wouldn't do 2.8GHz at ANY voltage.

The second core would error out immediately in Orthos/Prime95. First Core would run all day.

This guy has a point... but at the same time, for 939 people... it's a great upgrade. :)

The great thing about any X2 is what it can do for DVD authoring and burning. My previous DVD-authoring machine was a Socket A 2400XP-M overclocked to 2.4GHz. Conversion of a movie file (avi, mpeg, wmv) to DVD format and burning with an 18X burner would take 2-1/2 to 3 hours. The same sized file, when now done with my Opteron 165 box, currently O/C'd to 2.75GHz, with the same amount of RAM, and the same DVD burner, takes a consistent 43 minutes (1/3 to 1/4 the time). Sure, if you are building a NEW system, Intel is the way to go, but if you already have some kickass DDR1, Socket 939 will get you in the ballpark for a lot less money, especially now that prices have fallen.

For the single core S939 users out there not able to afford a whole new system, the Opteron 165 and X2 3800+ are great upgrades at a cheap price for someone wanting to go dual core.

I upgraded my Venice 3000+ (maxed out at 2.4GHz) to an Opteron 170 (for $186) last December. Awesome investment, especially at these current prices! Super smokin' [H]ot|DEAL

Thanks, OP. My backend box for the HTPC needed a dual core processor.

-q

Ordered one, have two systems running 939 mobos, 144 @ 2.5 and 3200+ at 2.1. Will find a home in the gaming or vm machine. Order at 12:15pm, on Step 5 shipped at 4:22pm.

LoL, I had ordered that 4000+ single core ma-bob like 2 weeks ago. I havn't even fired it up yet, because i'm waiting for a bracket to mount my heatsink/fan.... Now I am thinking I should just flea-bay it and pick this up. What do you guys think?

LoL, I had ordered that 4000+ single core ma-bob like 2 weeks ago. I havn't even fired it up yet, because i'm waiting for a bracket to mount my heatsink/fan.... Now I am thinking I should just flea-bay it and pick this up. What do you guys think?

Yes, do it. :D

Get rid of the sucker while it still has some value :D

I saw this on slick deals and thought HOT DAMN!

Then realized that is what I'm running right now.

Wow!

Two weeks ago this was ~$150. I ordered one, but thankfully cancelled my order later that night. I ordered another one tonight and for the same price I would of paid two weeks ago, I got a Zalman 9500 for it too.

Back