AMD Needs Your Help - Catalyst Driver Special Submission Form -

Warsam71

AMD Community Manager
Hello everyone,

As we continue to improve our Catalyst Driver suite, we kindly ask you to help us by submitting any issues or bugs you have experienced with our drivers by using the form below.

We value your feedback and intend to use the information you provide us to make our Catalyst Drivers better. For the next few days we are making a concerted effort to increase the number of reports we receive to create a “bible” of bugs/issues that our customers have encountered.

Note that this form, which closes on September 12, is different from the standard Issue Reporting Form we regularly use. I ask that you use this form even if you already submitted to another one in the past.

Please click here to access the form

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Which driver versions are you interested in?

Hello Nenu,

Any driver version you've used. The form allows you to select a few as well as letting you enter the version manually :)

I would just like to see some scaling increases for 4-way Crossfire for 290x/295x. It seems like 3-way is better off... I only care about BF4 honestly, but if we could even get some decent drivers for CoD: Ghosts that would be awesome! I get better performance with one card than 4 in that game...

Welp, I've thrown my bug report into 'the void'.. let's see what comes of it.

I'm going to take this seriously. I've spent a small fortune on AMD GPUs this year. And not for mining either. Partly for fun and partly to start Folding@H. The driver support is worse now than what I remember from CF 7950s. I can't play my favorite game in windows 8.1 in crossfire. Only one GPU on my 295x2 works. AMD seems to be under the impression that Final Fantasy XIV is an old game that doesn't deserve to be coded for. You guys spend a lot of effort on games like Battlefield, which is a nightmare because it's a console port, well FFXIV is a console port too and a system seller. Issue is about Directx9 support. Try running Unigine valley in crossfire on DX9 mode. Doesn't work even on windows 7. Only 1 GPU works.

Besides that. The 290 series in general runs like crap outside of games, in browsing. Constant voltage seesaw effect that brings about latency and stuttering in Gopgle Chrome with mouse smoothing plugin. There are more issues. Please remove the pixel clock limitation that breaks HDCP handshake while running custom resolutions like 1440p at 120hz. The consumers are moving on to new tech please keep up with us.

Last edited:
I'm going to take this seriously. I've spent a small fortune on AMD GPUs this year. And not for mining either. Partly for fun and partly to start Folding@H. The driver support is worse now than what I remember from CF 7950s. I can't play my favorite game in windows 8.1 in crossfire. Only one GPU on my 295x2 works. AMD seems to be under the impression that Final Fantasy XIV is an old game that doesn't deserve to be coded for. You guys spend a lot of effort on games like Battlefield, which is a nightmare because it's a console port, well FFXIV is a console port too and a system seller. Issue is about Directx9 support. Try running Unigine valley in crossfire on DX9 mode. Doesn't work even on windows 7. Only 1 GPU works.

Besides that. The 290 series in general runs like crap outside of games, in browsing. Constant voltage seesaw effect that brings about latency and stuttering in Gopgle Chrome with mouse smoothing plugin. There are more issues. Please remove the pixel clock limitation that breaks HDCP handshake while running custom resolutions like 1440p at 120hz. The consumers are moving on to new tech please keep up with us.

Wow that statement its making me think seriously, I made a thread in the general Video cards section and I was recommended to pick an AMD R9 280X over a Nvidia GTX 770, can you please advice me about AMD drivers for a single GPU setup in that thread? i'll appreciate it.

Mixed

Orientation

Eyefinty

I know this is more a thread for bug reporting, but honestly: there are a huge number of people including myself who would LOVE to be able to use two portrait oriented screens and one landscape screen in eyefinity. Commonly referred to as PLP (portrait-landscape-portrait) : it would allow users to buy a single, high-resolution 2560x1440 27 inch screen and have two cheaper 19 inch 1440x900 screens on the sides. For gaming this has an obvious benefit, but for productivity you can edit two documents with maximum usable visual space, while still having tons of desktop space free. People have been waiting for such a feature since Eyefinity was announced!

they just introduced mixed res, be patient...

honestly...

mixed aspect is very complicated.

if you flip a landscape monitor to portrait, it still has to scan in the same pattern.

so, in landscape, upper left to bottom right, if you flip it, it doesnt change. its now upper right to bottom left.

see the issue here?

your center monitor is still upper left to bottom right, but youve changed the two side monitors.

there are portrait monitors that scan ul-br, but they are very expensive.

Wow that statement its making me think seriously, I made a thread in the general Video cards section and I was recommended to pick an AMD R9 280X over a Nvidia GTX 770, can you please advice me about AMD drivers for a single GPU setup in that thread? i'll appreciate it.

Crossfire and DX9 have problems. Single cards aren't effected, nor later versions of DX with crossfire. With DX9 I believe they have to go game by game rather than there being an overall fix.

I've submitted certain bugs several times over the years that have never been fixed. I gave up on that form.

I've submitted certain bugs several times over the years that have never been fixed. I gave up on that form.

Same here, the idea that AMD is simply unaware of the many issues that we tell them about over and over again and that have never been fixed is kind of insulting.

If they really cared they would have a real and up to date known issues list with real info about what bugs they are working on and when/how they hope to address them.

Boring! Been there, done that. If you like troubleshooting and trying to figure out what's wrong with the cards you bought the only way to go is AMD

Your right about that! I use to have trifire and that was a nightmare. I thought it was because maybe my system had compatibility issues and it was my fault but it wasn't. Now I'm on a single card a few generations later and their driver team can't get that right!

Honestly I read that the issues I'm having right now are related to Amd dropping the memory and cpu voltage in the last few drivers since 14.4 and these custom non reference over clocked cards can't handle the drop in voltage and become unstable.

Some guy was having the same issue and msi gave him a fixed rom bios for his lightening card to correct the problem. So it comes down to not just AMD but like in my case Asus which is being a total let down!

Hello everyone,

I sincerely appreciate the comments you have posted on this thread.

We are aware of past bugs/issues that have been reported by our customer through the regular forms. From my end, I have shared numerous forums threads with our internal teams and will continue to do so.

As you can imagine we're using this special form to collect as much feedback as possible to make our Catalyst Driver better.

Please, if you haven't done so yet, report any bugs/issues by using this special form by Sept 12.

Thank you again.

Fix your linux drivers! All you need to do is reskin them so the options actually make some sense! 10 heads is great and all but make is easier to configure.

Hello everyone,

Just a friendly reminder: please make sure you continue to use the special form I mentioned in the original post to provide your feedback.

Thank you

Did you at least receive any kind of acknowledgement or anything?

Never. Not on amd forums and not in their stupid report form. Its the number 1 thing that irks me about amd.

The only thing that I have ever gotten a response in was when an amd rep was posting on ocn and I made a comment about planescape torrment being bugged. It got fixed in a later driver surprisingly.

It's not like NVIDIA responds either, though. I've sent a few to them a couple months ago and I have yet to receive a reply.

They don't respond. I've never had a company respond to a bug report, even the one I worked for.

They roll the issue into the issue tracker and it gets loaded in a queue based on priority and type.

Well AMD, shafted again!

With AMD cards before the 290 series, you could use DVI audio to an HDMI device.
But, when I bought my 290, I found that my new long DVI to HDMI cables no longer pass audio, yet they worked great with my old GTX580 gfx card.
I found out why when I came across a 7970 owner who saw that after updating to a newer driver he no longer had audio through his DVI ports.
He then used the cable supplied in his gfx card box and found that worked.
He tried the older driver and DVI audio worked fine again with his original cable, but again the newer driver stopped it working.
More research revealed AMD have embedded a chip in the DVI cables and adapters they supply/sell that newer drivers now look for. If the chip isnt detected, it disables audio over DVI, that is its sole purpose.

So I cursed buying an AMD card and had to suck it.
For a while I shuffled leads around every time I changed display so that I was using only the HDMI out because that still passed audio without issue.
Then I hooked up a second audio system with a soundcard to my PC, making a mess of the living room.
Then out of the blue, I realised that a newer driver let me get DVI audio again to my monitor, I'm not sure when it changed.
It was either around 13.12 or not long after.
I was now able to have TV sound from the hifi and PC sound from my monitor at the same time without the mess, at last!

For the last month or 2, I havent used HDMI audio to my AV system and have just been using my monitor for cheapy stereo sound or the USB DAC on my AV system for quality stereo.
I have updated the gfx driver since but didnt notice any issue with sound to my monitor so assumed all is well.
Tonight I finally try to play a movie in 5.1 over HDMI and find that when I select video out to my AV system, an AMD warning pops up telling me :
An HDMI to DVI display connection has been detected. In order to hear audio on your HDMI based TV or display, you will need to have a separate audio connection from your computer sound outputs to your TV or audio equipment. For more information, click the Help button

Help says this
HDMI Connectivity

If your digital TV (DTV) supports HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) and your graphics card has a DVI connection, you can connect the DTV to your computer using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable.

The DVI output on most AMD graphics cards is capable of audio processing and is composed of both video and audio signals. In this case, you need only a DVI-to-HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable to connect to an HDMI-capable DTV. If the DVI output on your graphics card supplies only video signals, you need a DVI-to-HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable to supply video to your DTV. You must also make a separate connection from the audio output of your computer to the audio input of your HDMI-capable DTV. Your DTV may also need to be configured for external audio. For more information, see your DTV documentation.

So I stopped cloning my desktop to prevent any DVI connections being used and sent video through the AV system to my display.
Now only one display device is connected, but I get the same DVI error message and still no HDMI audio device.

So you perhaps think maybe I am wrong and my cables cannot do this.
Or I have the wrong cables plugged in.
Or that AMD have again stopped audio over DVI.

But...
My AV system is definitely connected with an HDMI to HDMI cable.
My monitor is definitely connected with a DVI to HDMI cable.
Selecting my AV system for video via direct HDMI gets a error warning and no HDMI audio device.
Selecting my monitor for video via DVI doesnt give a warning and I get a stereo HDMI audio device.
WTF?

So which is it AMD
You are designing systems so they dont work without your cables?
Or you are just trying to piss people off who have DVI cables?

But you didnt even get that right.
Your statement that my DVI cables cannot pass audio is wrong as they have always been able to with my NVidia gfx card and there have been times I have had both HDMI and DVI audio devices present and functional at the same time with my R9 290 card
Now I have audio over DVI and none over HDMI.
So its clear there is a deliberate attempt to prevent audio working over DVI, but your detection messed up due to another bug that I bet you wish you knew about.

Great.
I am not going to publish this as a bug until I get the truth from someone.
What is the expected behaviour?
What should I be guaranteed?

Which is the bug?
a) that you wrongly detected my DVI as HDMI and HDMI as DVI, but the DVI audio blocking part of your driver works fine.
b) you are accidentally allowing audio over DVI sometimes
c) both.

This is another reason why I dont want to ever change driver with my AMD card, there are more reasons such as crashes, black screen problems, the need for driver sweeping when it screws up...
I had to reinstall my OS not long after I got the 290 because of black screen issues that also started happening during boot.

I used to love trying betas out when I had an NVidia card and was never worried. Even if something went wrong, it was always easy to get back to where I started from.

You wouldnt believe the amount of time I have wasted on just this issue and the huge inconvenience it has caused and is still causing

If I am wrong about this, can you please explain in full.
I need and deserve an explanation.

the link to the survey is broken for me. heh.

Also, the atikmdag.sys BSOD's are starting to become a real nuisance. Windows 7 x64 Ultimate (with all updates installed), 14.7 RC3 drivers, 290x lightnings in crossfire.

kinda weird i've submitted a bug this early morning like at 3am and was working fine..

Never. Not on amd forums and not in their stupid report form. Its the number 1 thing that irks me about amd.

The only thing that I have ever gotten a response in was when an amd rep was posting on ocn and I made a comment about planescape torrment being bugged. It got fixed in a later driver surprisingly.

Hello BababooeyHTJ, Wonderfield,

I am sorry and I understand your frustration about not getting a response. Please know that this topic has been brought to our attention and we are currently exploring ways to provide a response; I have personally forwarded various comments as well as suggestions from our customers to help us improve. To be completely honest with you I don't have any details that I can share with you at the moment. But I'll do my best to update you as much as I can.

Personally, I sincerely appreciate your patience and more importantly all the feedback you've shared with us, it's very valuable to us. Thank you.

Well AMD, shafted again!

With AMD cards before the 290 series, you could use DVI audio to an HDMI device.
But, when I bought my 290, I found that my new long DVI to HDMI cables no longer pass audio, yet they worked great with my old GTX580 gfx card.
I found out why when I came across a 7970 owner who saw that after updating to a newer driver he no longer had audio through his DVI ports.
He then used the cable supplied in his gfx card box and found that worked.
He tried the older driver and DVI audio worked fine again with his original cable, but again the newer driver stopped it working.
More research revealed AMD have embedded a chip in the DVI cables and adapters they supply/sell that newer drivers now look for. If the chip isnt detected, it disables audio over DVI, that is its sole purpose.

So I cursed buying an AMD card and had to suck it.
For a while I shuffled leads around every time I changed display so that I was using only the HDMI out because that still passed audio without issue.
Then I hooked up a second audio system with a soundcard to my PC, making a mess of the living room.
Then out of the blue, I realised that a newer driver let me get DVI audio again to my monitor, I'm not sure when it changed.
It was either around 13.12 or not long after.
I was now able to have TV sound from the hifi and PC sound from my monitor at the same time without the mess, at last!

For the last month or 2, I havent used HDMI audio to my AV system and have just been using my monitor for cheapy stereo sound or the USB DAC on my AV system for quality stereo.
I have updated the gfx driver since but didnt notice any issue with sound to my monitor so assumed all is well.
Tonight I finally try to play a movie in 5.1 over HDMI and find that when I select video out to my AV system, an AMD warning pops up telling me :

Help says this

So I stopped cloning my desktop to prevent any DVI connections being used and sent video through the AV system to my display.
Now only one display device is connected, but I get the same DVI error message and still no HDMI audio device.

So you perhaps think maybe I am wrong and my cables cannot do this.
Or I have the wrong cables plugged in.
Or that AMD have again stopped audio over DVI.

But...
My AV system is definitely connected with an HDMI to HDMI cable.
My monitor is definitely connected with a DVI to HDMI cable.
Selecting my AV system for video via direct HDMI gets a error warning and no HDMI audio device.
Selecting my monitor for video via DVI doesnt give a warning and I get a stereo HDMI audio device.
WTF?

So which is it AMD
You are designing systems so they dont work without your cables?
Or you are just trying to piss people off who have DVI cables?

But you didnt even get that right.
Your statement that my DVI cables cannot pass audio is wrong as they have always been able to with my NVidia gfx card and there have been times I have had both HDMI and DVI audio devices present and functional at the same time with my R9 290 card
Now I have audio over DVI and none over HDMI.
So its clear there is a deliberate attempt to prevent audio working over DVI, but your detection messed up due to another bug that I bet you wish you knew about.

Great.
I am not going to publish this as a bug until I get the truth from someone.
What is the expected behaviour?
What should I be guaranteed?

Which is the bug?
a) that you wrongly detected my DVI as HDMI and HDMI as DVI, but the DVI audio blocking part of your driver works fine.
b) you are accidentally allowing audio over DVI sometimes
c) both.

This is another reason why I dont want to ever change driver with my AMD card, there are more reasons such as crashes, black screen problems, the need for driver sweeping when it screws up...
I had to reinstall my OS not long after I got the 290 because of black screen issues that also started happening during boot.

I used to love trying betas out when I had an NVidia card and was never worried. Even if something went wrong, it was always easy to get back to where I started from.

You wouldnt believe the amount of time I have wasted on just this issue and the huge inconvenience it has caused and is still causing

If I am wrong about this, can you please explain in full.
I need and deserve an explanation.

Hello Nenu,

I'd like to help you. If you don't mind, could you please send me a PM at your earliest convenience? I''ll do my best to get you the help you need.

Also two of your marketing reps throwing bitch fits on the forums isn't very professional either. One no longer works for you. One stopped posting on the site that he used to write articles for. ;)

Thracks over on ocn is the only amd rep who seems to understand enthusiasts. At least imo. His post are always helpful and professional. I never understood why we can't see more of that. Wouldn't salary for one person to do a little pr on the forums be more effective than handing out free games that work better on your competitors hardware (Far Cry 3)?

Last edited:
Ive found Sam to be pretty helpful as well as Thracks (Robert)

Which 2 reps threw bitch fits?

Ive found Sam to be pretty helpful as well as Thracks (Robert)

Which 2 reps threw bitch fits?

JFAMD right before bulldozer launched on this very forum. Also stated that gamers don't matter to amd's cpu division or something along those lines.

I think that the last sentence gives away exactly who I'm talking about. One of the biggest complainers about Fermi being hot and power hungry threw a bitch fit and stopped posting on the very forum that he used to write articles for when people dared compare 290x to fermi. There was couple of other bitchy posts too. Not very professional especially for a marketing rep.

I'm sure that you're right about sam.

I think that the last sentence gives away exactly who I'm talking about. One of the biggest complainers about Fermi being hot and power hungry threw a bitch fit and stopped posting on the very forum that he used to write articles for when people dared compare 290x to fermi. There was couple of other bitchy posts too. Not very professional especially for a marketing rep.

Amd matt? don't remember tbh.

Hello everyone,

The official AMD Reps are "Thracks" (Robert - I know some of you know him already. He's a very nice guy and very helpful), and me "Warsam71" (Sam - I'm at OCN too by the way).

Hello everyone,

The official AMD Reps are "Thracks" (Robert - I know some of you know him already. He's a very nice guy and very helpful), and me "Warsam71" (Sam - I'm at OCN too by the way).

Thats good to know. Thracks posts on OCN really helped change my opinion of AMD. It was nice to finally see an offical response from AMD. For years I wondered why they didn't just use their own forums for that.

It was irritating posting about far cry 3 an AMD game hanging with tri-fire with several other people mentioning the same issue on AMD's official forum and never seeing a fix in the months that I owned the cards.

It would help consolidate posts and make things easier to find instead of comments getting lost in a flood of posts in a large thread like you'll see on ocn.

Hell, I might not have sent in that 7950 for an rma had I known that the desktop artifacts were a common issue at the time.

...Hell, I might not have sent in that 7950 for an rma had I known that the desktop artifacts were a common issue at the time.

Tell me about it. I got an 7970 along with an X79 motherboard and spent many (lots and lots) of hours writing to AMD support and looking in forums and replacing motherboards, RAM and power supplies trying to fix the random crashing/freezing only to find in another forum months later that AMD had known about the issue for like 9 months and had even given out free games to people in that thread. AMD (their rep) was like sorry we screwed you over but you did not find out about what we hid from you in time. I was not happy. Where do I send the bill for all the time, energy and money I spent?

Back