AMD-M XP and AMD XP

vat

Limp Gawd
Are they both socket A? If I have an AMD-M XP can I use it with a socket A motherboard? Thanks

Yes, the only difference( i beleive) is that the Athlon M runs a hair cooler, and is better at overclocking, becuase it is designed for laptops, which dont have as good of cooling. Not completely sure on that though.

and the mobiles have the multiplier unlocked right? unlike the later versions of the reg. ones

Mobiles are pretyt much regular bartons that run at a lower voltage(thus less heat), have an unlocked multiplier, and generally OC very well.(got my 2500=m up to 2.4GHz stable)

DermicSavage said:
Mobiles are pretyt much regular bartons that run at a lower voltage(thus less heat), have an unlocked multiplier, and generally OC very well.(got my 2500=m up to 2.4GHz stable)

Don't forget to mention that it runs at a lower FSB, which of course you overclock. Also, some boards do not recognize them as Athlon XP, they're just picked up as "Athlon K7", makes no difference though.

I can't get a very good o/c on my 2200+ xp-m, got to 3200+ spec (1.67ghz to 2.2ghz). It's running at a 200x11 on a epox 8rda3i. Check out the motherboard forum for recommended overclocking boards.

Also, the best ones to get are the low Wattage ones, I believe the lowest was the 35W model.

GL, HF.

What do you mean you have a mobile CPU?
You don't know if it fits your socket A mobo? What did you do, steal it? LOL, it just reads like such a bizarre post.

lcboyee1123 said:
and the mobiles have the multiplier unlocked right? unlike the later versions of the reg. ones
All Athlon Xp-M have unlocked multiplier just like A64's FX. Also run very cool at low voltage plus i helped my friend out to oc his cpu to 2.8 ghz with 2.2 volts and stable over 24/7. He used watercool on that core.

On air u can hit 2.6 ghz, too.

I was wondering the same thing. So if I wanted to upgrade my Athlon XP then an Athlon XP-M will be a better choice? There is no performance sacrifice at all?

silentnswift said:
I was wondering the same thing. So if I wanted to upgrade my Athlon XP then an Athlon XP-M will be a better choice? There is no performance sacrifice at all?

if you have an athlon xp already thats 2500+ or better you might aswell skip the mobile and get a 3000+ A64 & mb for $240 and overclock that for a much larger performance gain.

What are your purposes in terms of use for this new XP-M? Games? Multimedia en/decoding?

I'm looking into gaming. And I'm sorta being cheap, and squeezing the life thats left in a Socket A motherboard.

Threadstarter:

vat: What are your purposes in terms of use for this new XP-M? Games? Multimedia en/decoding?

DejaWiz said:
Threadstarter:

vat: What are your purposes in terms of use for this new XP-M? Games? Multimedia en/decoding?

Just doing random things like games, surf the net, and watch movies and anime.

that way will work better than havin xp-m cpu. nice set up in there and oc that DTR thing lol. :D

It's not true that Mobile Bartons will work on all socket A motherboards. I had a Biostar motherboard and upgraded from a 2000+ to a 2500-M and it wouldn't even post. Getting a Abit NF-7 fixed all that though. Mobiles are a good way to learn about PC's if your sort of new to the hardware. They're kind of tricky and time consuming to get stable at OC speeds though.

If you're upgrading now from something fairly weak you might as well get a 3200 venice or something similar but the clock for clock performance improvement of a 64 bit chip over a 32 bit isn't enough to justify the cost in my opinion. Like if I got a 3200+ Venice now I would absolutely have to get it to atleast 2.5ghz (like my mobile) to see any improvement in games and even then I'd only see like a 15% performance gain. .

Back