AMD Live Webcast From Computex 2016

So yeah, this little demo, with its rudimentary graphics, takes 2x1080 in SLI to render, presumably 1 for each eye. There's also another 1080 for PhysX.

And this is with, presumably, all the exciting Pascal-only VR technology that improves performance. If this is the kind of computational power needed just for rudimentary VR then I wonder how the hell is Polaris gonna bring VR to the mainstream?

NEW RULE.

Every time AMD pans over the audience and nobody is clapping or smiling, YOU MUST DRINK.

They are so shocked like they just went on their first roller coaster ride, watch out for the wet spots!

I actually think polaris is a great product at that price, but man, AMD's incredibly poor presentation is making me miss Tom. If they had any less energy, the stream would time out.

So yeah, this little demo, with its rudimentary graphics, takes 2x1080 in SLI to render, presumably 1 for each eye. There's also another 1080 for PhysX.

And this is with, presumably, all the exciting Pascal-only VR technology that improves performance. If this is the kind of computational power needed just for rudimentary VR then I wonder how the hell is Polaris gonna bring VR to the mainstream?

That demo is 1000x more advanced than any VR game I've seen YTD.

I actually think polaris is a great product at that price, but man, AMD's incredibly poor presentation is making me miss Tom. If they had any less energy, the stream would time out.
Tom was the hidden gem in the presentation. He built suspense and tension that kept everyone on their feet. You were anxious to find out more about the cards...and also if Tom was going to get fired.

I definitely think the whole reveal was one of the most boring presentations ever, but at least the audience wasn't filled with a bunch of either fanboys or plants. That Nvidia reveal was on another level of ridiculousness with all the hooting and hollering from the audience, and that one woman who shouted "I can afford that!" when the price was revealed.

Well I think it was only that one lady that was irritating, this is why you don't have the drinks before hand, but then again, with this launch they should have had some drinks before lol.

Well I think it was only that one lady that was irritating, this is why you don't have the drinks before hand, but then again, with this launch they should have had some drinks before lol.

Lisa? You are annoyed by Lisa Su? She is a great speaker and representative of amd! You have gone off the deep end if she is the one you are talking about. She was actually one of the more animated and engaging speakers.

Lisa was by far the best presenter of the lot. She wasn't on fire, but at least she wasn't a black hole, sucking all the energy out of the room.

After Nvidia's terrible showing, I'm frankly shocked AMD managed to do worse.

Lisa? You are annoyed by Lisa Su? She is a great speaker and representative of amd! You have gone off the deep end if she is the one you are talking about. She was actually one of the more animated and engaging speakers.

Think Razor meant that lady in the nVidia presentation.

Directly on AMD's site it's going to be $200 for the 4GB version. I wonder if the presentation's benchmarks were the 8GB or 4GB version. If it was the 8, then that's a bit underhanded to keep talking about $200 but then show off the 8GB version. I think I'll be looking at their card directly below the RX 480. 150 watt TDP and > $200 for 8GB is a bit more than I want. Hoping for something silent or quiet as my current card is fan-less.

Well AMD is gonna go bankrupt, sell you're shares NOW. LOL, last good card was a 5870.... That was the last ATI card I owned, every single crossfire / SLI setup I've seen has had stutter problems.

No was talking about the Pascal 1080/1070 launch where that girl was screaming WOW!

This is precisely the reason I said earlier that I'm skeptical until we see benchmarks outside of an AMD-controlled environment. AMD have become notorious for doing this sort of thing.

both companies have been over the years.. just the way product announcements go and it's not just limited to AMD, Nvidia, or Intel or the tech industry as a whole.

People on Reddit say that the demo is dynamic and the Nvidia driver doesn't draw all the snow sometimes. I dunno. /shrug.

I know this, when I run AotS benchmark it looks exactly the same between NVIDIA and AMD each time, same snow, same number of units, same everything, at the same settings I use, which is "Crazy" on both.

I know this, when I run AotS benchmark it looks exactly the same between NVIDIA and AMD each time, same snow, same number of units, same everything, at the same settings I use, which is "Crazy" on both.

I don't think the videos they were showing were benchmarks.

I don't think the videos they were showing were benchmarks.

Regardless, there was some serious difference going on. I personally think it was a last-minute demo that they threw together and din't do their research properly.

Ah well, if y'all hadn't gone batshit and smeared poo all over the walls of the clubhouse you could have been there to ask that question.

Guess we'll have to google it to see what site did and what the answer was.

/salty.

Reactions: Yakk
like this
The only way I will ever own an AMD card is if they give them away with an extra cash prize.

The only way I will ever own an AMD card is if they give them away with an extra cash prize.
So why visit the AMD sub forum and post ever. I don't post in the intel sub forum and rarely in the Nvidia sub forum.

Didn't your mother ever teach you if you have nothing good to say then say nothing. (actually my mom said keep my mouth shut.)

The 1080 is also the following: cooler, quieter, faster, smaller. It's a stupid comparison for them to make is my point.

Not when you consider it's $200 less, and you're not going to make up the difference in your electricity bill any time soon with a 120W increase in power consumption. I think it's a completely valid comparison to make. It would be even more valid if they did it in a game that people actually play, and one that wasn't obviously optimized for AMD, but I digress.

Well AMD is gonna go bankrupt, sell you're shares NOW. LOL, last good card was a 5870.... That was the last ATI card I owned, every single crossfire / SLI setup I've seen has had stutter problems.

Did you never see a CF setup AFTER AMD fixed the frame time issue?

I had dual 7970s for quite a while. Most games worked just fine even before the fixed drivers.

The releases after they fixed frametime issues made most stuff a lot smoother.

Now I am on a single R9 390 (because I got it for free), and since I game at 1920x1200, I haven't seen any reason to get anything faster.

Oh, and I had dual 6870s before I had the 7970s. Compared to 5870, the 6870 ran way cooler and used less power, even if they were a tiny bit slower than the 5870 they were very good cards.

I still have them, and will be putting them in service in an XP "retro box" I am building.

The 480 with only 1x 6-pin plug???? Now that is a huge leap for AMD in regards to power efficiency.

Really tempted to sell my 390 and get a 480 8GB before the prices tank on the 390.

I really want to see real reviews of the 480 though.

Not when you consider it's $200 less, and you're not going to make up the difference in your electricity bill any time soon with a 120W increase in power consumption. I think it's a completely valid comparison to make. It would be even more valid if they did it in a game that people actually play, and one that wasn't obviously optimized for AMD, but I digress.

until you start thinking omg fuck this multi card solution... hoops and jumping through them to make stuff work.

Did you never see a CF setup AFTER AMD fixed the frame time issue?

I had dual 7970s for quite a while. Most games worked just fine even before the fixed drivers.

The releases after they fixed frametime issues made most stuff a lot smoother.

Now I am on a single R9 390 (because I got it for free), and since I game at 1920x1200, I haven't seen any reason to get anything faster.

Oh, and I had dual 6870s before I had the 7970s. Compared to 5870, the 6870 ran way cooler and used less power, even if they were a tiny bit slower than the 5870 they were very good cards.

I still have them, and will be putting them in service in an XP "retro box" I am building.

The 480 with only 1x 6-pin plug???? Now that is a huge leap for AMD in regards to power efficiency.

Really tempted to sell my 390 and get a 480 8GB before the prices tank on the 390.

I really want to see real reviews of the 480 though.

I had 7970 trifire and FC3 ran like shit and BF4 had serious texture issues.

Look at recent [H] and pcper (frame times) and crossfire is currently trash. They were on a decent spree there... made the frame times better and XDMA with the 290x, then seems like they just stopped trying.

If a 480 suits your needs so be it, looks like it might be great value. I wouldn't suggest crossfire to anyone. Wait for Vega...

AMD, what are you doing!!???

Holding back information, especially a lot of information in a competitive market, where you are late to the game in your current generation is NEVER going to be a good idea.

This does not sit with me well.

Fuck I was always a fan of ATI since their headquarters were by my place... I waited years to upgrade from my OCd 7950, gen after gen, waiting.

980Ti is too expensive in Canada, our dollar sucks, and our retailers are dirty pieces of shit.
Dual 1070s??? Fuck I don't know

Still using Crossfire 280x cards and currently playing Warhammer with a full 100% CF scaling, nice even before the DX12 patch.

So why visit the AMD sub forum and post ever. I don't post in the intel sub forum and rarely in the Nvidia sub forum.

Didn't your mother ever teach you if you have nothing good to say then say nothing. (actually my mom said keep my mouth shut.)
Where else you going to find angry Nvidia employee's if they don't troll the AMD section? In a perfect world, the Nvidia trolls look like this.

1433160616901.jpg

Where else you going to find angry Nvidia employee's if they don't troll the AMD section? In a perfect world, the Nvidia trolls look like this.

LooooooL... aye aye captain!. If they did my ignore list wouldn't be so long!

Back