AMD launch HD6000 Oct 12, 2010

Tamlin_WSGF

2[H]4U
According to BSN, it seems that the HD6000 launch is imminent. :D

AMD to launch Radeon HD 6000 Series, "Southern Islands" on October 12, 2010

While nVidia was closing down the GPU Technology Conference, we learned that the company invited a ton of journalists to the event in Los Angeles, CA. The event is none other than the launch of Radeon HD 6000 Series, more known to the world under the codename "Southern Islands".
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...2c-southern-islands-on-october-122c-2010.aspx

Day before my birthday. :D

It's going to be quite the day when AMD releases the 6000 series. I'll certainly be tuning in for all the reviews that will be released that day. :)

Me too, 10/13 represent!

Unfortunately I will be unable to actually afford this :(

6000. that's the next generation huh?! now i have a gtx 470. i thinking maybe i upgrade to the lesser expensive version of the 6000.

I am just still hoping they have something potent in a physically small package.. ie. GTX460 performance & size (will make life much easier for us SFF fanatics)

I can't believe people are still stupid enough to read that site. He can't even make shit up without making obvious mistakes.
...meaning that nVidia's 128-bit equipped GTX 460 has an issue fighting for life.
Hey since they are already making shit up, what's a few extra wrong facts right?

On top of that they proudly paste the slide that was proven to be fake several weeks ago.

I am just still hoping they have something potent in a physically small package.. ie. GTX460 performance & size (will make life much easier for us SFF fanatics)
If you mean card size you barely have a point but regarding chip size the GTX460 (GF104) is bigger than the HD5870 (Cypress) and the 5870 runs circles around the 460 performance wise.

If you mean card size you barely have a point but regarding chip size the GTX460 (GF104) is bigger than the HD5870 (Cypress) and the 5870 runs circles around the 460 performance wise.

I mean Card size & its a big point. the 460 is Tiny compared to most high end cards (loads shorter then 58x0 series) & this will get into alot smaller places that before the 5770 was the best thing that could fit.

that will definitely be a nice HTPC card right there..

I Was jsut looking at that.. Lets see where it falls in line performance wise to current though. Since there were rumors of AMD stepping up its naming by 100 then that performance wise would be the same as a current 5770. Just in a much smaller package. If thats the case I may get my wish & see something comparable to the 58x0 series in a 5770 sized card.. & thats what I am definitely hoping for.

I Was jsut looking at that.. Lets see where it falls in line performance wise to current though. Since there were rumors of AMD stepping up its naming by 100 then that performance wise would be the same as a current 5770. Just in a much smaller package. If thats the case I may get my wish & see something comparable to the 58x0 series in a 5770 sized card.. & thats what I am definitely hoping for.

well being that its an htpc card im not all that worried about performance all it has to do is play blu-ray.. not going to build a gaming htpc rig with a passively cooled gfx card.. the biggest selling point on that little card is that it comes as a low profile card from the factory.. dont have to screw with changing plates.. i can just throw it in and be done with it..

The BIG advantage the 6X series will have it comes to HTPC work is complete 3D Blu ray hardware decoding. Right now NOTHING can hardware decode 3D blu ray on the PC. That will change with this card.

Also light rumor has it that even the entry level card will be able to do Vector Adaptive deinterlacing. Don't quote me on that it is just a rumor but consider what kind of bump these are getting I will not be surprised.

If this card launches at the 50 USD price point AND be low profile AND have 3D Blu Ray support.. Get ready for SOLD OUT city! People were going bonkers over the 5X series bitstreaming and some on AVSforum bought 5870s just to have that feature.

I'm still wondering if ATI will ever push to bring 3D support into their cards. It's already sort of there. What do we have to do? Wait for 3rd parties? Nvidia has a monopoly in that segment.

I would think 3D Blu Ray support will make them far more money at the moment.

IF the picture is one of the things that are true.

Wow... that would be VERY sexy indeed...

Hmm more rumor mill bits.
Performance wise HD 5870 > Barts XT (5770 replacement) > HD 5850 > Barts Pro (5750 replacement)

That would put Barts Pro at the performance level of a GTX460 1GB and will probably cost less since they're already selling 1GB 5830s at $180 or so.
If AMD's mainstream chips deliver this kind of performance I wonder how much more the Cayman XT and Pro (5870-5850 replacements) will deliver. Can't wait.

I hope they dont end up charging over 200USD for the 6770 just because it somehow beats the 5850.

I would think 3D Blu Ray support will make them far more money at the moment.

I think that option would really be a waste of time at the current moment. That would be them hoping to capture a very and I mean VERY small part of the market that wants 3D Blu-Ray access for there HTPCs. I think 3D Blu-Ray support would have to be farther along before that would really be worth even putting in. Perhaps a driver update in the future but not really something worth doing right now , at least as a priority for the driver team.

The cards will come with the ability to decode 3D blu ray that nobody else can claim to be able to do as well. So I doubt they consider it a waste of time.

And if these supposed massive performance gains pans out the lowest end might also be able to do vector adaptive deinterlacing meaning it would become a serious HTPC feature quickly.

The market may be small but it is bigger than 3D gaming on the PC in my opinion.

Few games offer serious 3D support rather than tack on support or done through driver. I don't consider red/blue glasses to be serious 3D.

I think that option would really be a waste of time at the current moment. That would be them hoping to capture a very and I mean VERY small part of the market that wants 3D Blu-Ray access for there HTPCs. I think 3D Blu-Ray support would have to be farther along before that would really be worth even putting in. Perhaps a driver update in the future but not really something worth doing right now , at least as a priority for the driver team.

the fact that it takes absolutely no extra work for AMD to add support for it.. i dont think they really care.. they pretty much pay the same HDMI royalty fee with 3-D blu-ray support as they would without it.. it may be a small market but its an untapped market since no one else is supporting it..

I'm still wondering if ATI will ever push to bring 3D support into their cards. It's already sort of there. What do we have to do? Wait for 3rd parties? Nvidia has a monopoly in that segment.

true nvidia has a monopoly in the 3D gaming market but its a nitch market that will never take off no matter how much nvidia fan boys want to cry about how great it is.. I've been playing pc games for 15+ years and theres not a chance in hell your ever going to get me to play a 3D game with those stupid ass glasses.. so until they can figure out a way to do it without the glasses and at 1/4 the price it wont matter and i think thats a reason why AMD hasnt bothered to push their way into the 3D gaming market..

Last edited:
Few games offer serious 3D support rather than tack on support or done through driver. I don't consider red/blue glasses to be serious 3D.

Wow, two baloney statements in a row.

Oops, my bad, I forgot I was in an AMD-related thread. When you can't offer support, offer baloney reasoning. Gotcha! I understand...

the fact that it takes absolutely no extra work for AMD to add support for it.. i dont think they really care.. they pretty much pay the same HDMI royalty fee with 3-D blu-ray support as they would without it.. it may be a small market but its an untapped market since no one else is supporting it..

AMD's regarding 3-d as a gimmick... Problem is, when it catches on, we're going to hear "3-d" and it's going to incorrectly be viewed as PhysX: an Nvidia exclusive gimmick self-promoted unashamedly by Nvidia. They'll ignorantly hate Nvidia for AMD not supporting it.

AMD can't even figure out performance for their CrossfireX configurations that they still promote, so how can we expect them to care about supporting new tech?

The list of 3-d computer games is far greater than the list of 3-d blu-rays, so not sure where this opinion comes from?

With this post, If I didn't already know you were a mod/person, I'd wonder if you were one of those spam bots.

maybe i'm a mod spam bot :p. if you get more spam in your email we wil know yes? ;).

There were definitely rumours a while ago speculating announcement and launch dates. Oct 12 was mentioned but it said cards would not be available then and Oct 25 was when they would be available, but it said it with +/- 2 days or something.

Edit:
Source:
http://semiaccurate.com/2010/09/06/what-amds-northern-islands/

When is the HD6000 series launching? There have been rumors of October 12th flying around, but that is not the launch date. On October 12th, there is an event related to the 6000 series, but there won't be cards on sale until October 25 +/- a day or two depending on schedules.

Back