AMD killing off DDR?

BoogerBomb

Supreme [H]ardness
With Socket 939 being kill at the end of this year do you think that will finally do in DDR? I need to check up on memory performance as the last time I looked DDR2 offered little if any performance improvements over DDR. Anandtech did a few articles about it and said it took AMD a few revisions of the AM2 to finally get performance of DDR2 up over the performance of DDR but barely.

Am I wrong in assuming that DDR sticks cant be used in DDR2 sockets?

If DDR2 is doing nothing performance wise then why even bother with it? Is DDR3 destined to be in the same situation?

DDR does not fit in DDR2. nor ddr2 fit in ddr

DDR2 does have performance gains over DDR1 - just that since AMD doesnt have a new architecture to really take advantage of it, right now you just dont see any, but once K8L is out, it will help.

And when was it official that 939 is dead end of the year ? i know it is only july, but how long did they drag on 754.

I should say that I based that off the fact that Dailytech said they got notice from AMD that the last 2 939's that werent shown as DC'd last week are also DC'd or something to that effect and that the Distro's can get them until Dec 26th 2006. They also mentioned that the EOL for them is June30th 2007. But I will say that there was no mention of the FX-60.

MrGuvernment said:
DDR does not fit in DDR2. nor ddr2 fit in ddr

DDR2 does have performance gains over DDR1 - just that since AMD doesnt have a new architecture to really take advantage of it, right now you just dont see any, but once K8L is out, it will help.

Theres two other reasons DDR2 doesn't help that you didn't mention. #1 DDR2 only tends to help the intel platform because AMDs onboard memory controller is VERY effcient so we don't see gains really going to DDR2 now. And #2 is that most DDR2 ram out now isn't exactly that fast (slow timings/latency) that the AM2 platform uses so including reason #1 thats why you don't see the gains really just yet! :)

Tazman2 said:
Theres two other reasons DDR2 doesn't help that you didn't mention. #1 DDR2 only tends to help the intel platform because AMDs onboard memory controller is VERY effcient so we don't see gains really going to DDR2 now. And #2 is that most DDR2 ram out now isn't exactly that fast (slow timings/latency) that the AM2 platform uses so including reason #1 thats why you don't see the gains really just yet! :)
1. actually.. look closely at the benches. ddr2 doesn't really seem to be helping intel out all that much either.

IMPORTANT!
2. ddr2 is far far faster than ddr1 now. a lot of the better stuff can easily break 500mhz at 4-4-4 or tighter timings, which means latency a bit better than ddr1 at 250mhz, 2-2-2 (or tighter) and roughly 2x the bandwidth :p
/IMPORTANT

Uhm.. SD ram is still available to buy...
I really dont think it'll die, just become very... dusty in crates :)

Back