• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AMD June 11 launch date?

TheBuzzer

HACK THE WORLD!
Joined
Aug 15, 2005
Messages
13,028
AMD's next-generation high-end desktop processor line, the AMD FX-series, is inching toward a June 11 launch, according to DonanimHaber.

FX-Series is hyped for being based on the company's next-generation "Bulldozer" architecture, which is a built from ground up x86-64 processor design. AMD's FX-series will include 8-core, 6-core, and 4-core models, and will optimally run on a new socket currently referred to as "AM3+". Major motherboard vendors are expected to release AM3+ motherboards based on various chipsets around the same time.

(please visit the source link)...



Source: TechPowerUp
http://www.techpowerup.com/142366/AMD-FX-Series-Processors-Releasing-on-June-11.html
 
looks good, Not that my 920 is feeling slow, but going AMD next update / upgrade would be nice :D

hopefully the new arch gives them some breathing space :p we need the competition!
 
looks good, Not that my 920 is feeling slow, but going AMD next update / upgrade would be nice :D

hopefully the new arch gives them some breathing space :p we need the competition!

Exactly. I am happily waiting to see this come out...
 
AMD's next-generation high-end desktop processor line, the AMD FX-series, is inching toward a June 11 launch, according to DonanimHaber.

FX-Series is hyped for being based on the company's next-generation "Bulldozer" architecture, which is a built from ground up x86-64 processor design. AMD's FX-series will include 8-core, 6-core, and 4-core models, and will optimally run on a new socket currently referred to as "AM3+". Major motherboard vendors are expected to release AM3+ motherboards based on various chipsets around the same time.

(please visit the source link)...



Source: TechPowerUp
http://www.techpowerup.com/142366/AMD-FX-Series-Processors-Releasing-on-June-11.html



lol I just purchased a 2500k, i hope its not going to be outrun. But hey. thats life, it happens.
 
Sandy at 5 g's here, nothing to see move along. Well unless it's decently faster than sandy, but then you gotta factor in what major incompatibilities or chipset erros AMD might have upon release and the fact that with better cooling I could prolly get 5.1 or 5.2 g's out of this cpu....hmm...
 
ah crap Am3+... Just got a whole new AM3 setup i want to try out. Oh well nature of technology.
 
Sandy at 5 g's here, nothing to see move along. Well unless it's decently faster than sandy, but then you gotta factor in what major incompatibilities or chipset erros AMD might have upon release and the fact that with better cooling I could prolly get 5.1 or 5.2 g's out of this cpu....hmm...
Lol, nice FUD.
Just because intel had to recall their chipset because of bugs, don't mean that AMD is going to do the same thing. :rolleyes:

All AMD has to do is get something out that is best bang for the buck.
 
ah crap Am3+... Just got a whole new AM3 setup i want to try out. Oh well nature of technology.
Its been known for awhile that Bulldozer will carry a new socket.

Regardless, I hope AMD has a real winner. Can't wait to see some benchmarks and how far they can be pushed with overclocking.
 
I am definitely looking forward to picking up one of those juicy Bulldozers. It will be a big upgrade for me when the time comes.
 
Sandy at 5 g's here, nothing to see move along. Well unless it's decently faster than sandy, but then you gotta factor in what major incompatibilities or chipset erros AMD might have upon release and the fact that with better cooling I could prolly get 5.1 or 5.2 g's out of this cpu....hmm...

Chipset and compatibility errors really :rolleyes:
considering there is really nothing new to the platform it should be a zero issue.
As a matter of fact we will probably see hacked 8series boards supporting the new processors. Motherboard manfactures arleady doing it.

I have a feeling we will be able to do a pin mod on the chip and it will work in older boards.

I'm pretty happy with my GA-MA785 would love be able to stick a new chip in it. If not I might go SB this time around.
 
lol I just purchased a 2500k, i hope its not going to be outrun. But hey. thats life, it happens.

LOL, you'll be fine!

Unless you are actually putting REAL loads on your processor with stuff other than gaming, you'll be fine for a long time to come. People seem to think gaming rigs need the absolute fastest processors, but that really isn't the case anymore thanks in part to an endless stream of crappy console ports. Because of this, even us AMD PII folks are doing great despite having a processor that is currently 2 generations behind. That is why my gaming rig has the slowest processor of my 3 total computers since my PII 965 still hasn't become a bottleneck yet, even though I have a CFX setup.
 
ah crap Am3+... Just got a whole new AM3 setup i want to try out. Oh well nature of technology.


you shouldn't have a problem selling the am3 board.. your am3 processor will work fine in the am3+ 800 and 900 series boards.. so its not a total loss.


Sandy at 5 g's here, nothing to see move along. Well unless it's decently faster than sandy, but then you gotta factor in what major incompatibilities or chipset erros AMD might have upon release and the fact that with better cooling I could prolly get 5.1 or 5.2 g's out of this cpu....hmm...

stick to the Intel section.. i'm sure the Intel people would greatly appreciate you not making them all look like the fool you are, thanks.
 
well, im just going to wait for the bulldozer to plow down prices on pII x6 to a cheap price
 
Sandy at 5 g's here, nothing to see move along. Well unless it's decently faster than sandy, but then you gotta factor in what major incompatibilities or chipset erros AMD might have upon release and the fact that with better cooling I could prolly get 5.1 or 5.2 g's out of this cpu....hmm...

Because AMD has had problematic chipsets recently?

oh crap wait, that's Intel :p
 
I will definately be doing a Bulldozer build, looks like my daughter will inherit my current AMD box. Yay, two upgrades for the price of one!
 
It's nice that Bulldozer will finally be released in June. However, LGA2011 will be released in August as well.
 
With the recent talk of Asus and others offering simple BIOS updates to run AM3+ on Am3 boards and then you have the line in this statement "will run OPTIMALLY
on AM3+" makes me think Asus is right. Otherwise I would think that statement would read "will run ONLY on AM3+".
 
Your 920 is feeling slow? That's just BS! lol!

I guess you didn't read the "not" before the that my 920 is feeling slow?

Originally Posted by Digital Viper-X- View Post
looks good, Not that my 920 is feeling slow, but going AMD next update / upgrade would be nice

hopefully the new arch gives them some breathing space :p we need the competition!

For the record dood, a 920 is pretty slow when you put it to the task of rendering a 720p/1080p video into various formats :p or just editing it in general.
 
It's nice that Bulldozer will finally be released in June. However, LGA2011 will be released in August as well.

It'd be a pretty big deal if FX hit and was competative with what might come out with the LGA2011. If that were the case, people in the market for LGA2011 might have a reason to wait. My feeling is that people waiting on AM3+ are also in the market for LGA1155, like myself.

I'm not even in the market for the CPU as much as the chipset features anyway, but the new CPU would be a nice perk :cool:
 
LOL, you'll be fine!

Unless you are actually putting REAL loads on your processor with stuff other than gaming, you'll be fine for a long time to come. People seem to think gaming rigs need the absolute fastest processors, but that really isn't the case anymore thanks in part to an endless stream of crappy console ports. Because of this, even us AMD PII folks are doing great despite having a processor that is currently 2 generations behind. That is why my gaming rig has the slowest processor of my 3 total computers since my PII 965 still hasn't become a bottleneck yet, even though I have a CFX setup.


I feel the same way. I really don't feel that my Q6600 @ 3.2 holds me back that much (and it's a bit slower than your 965). As long as I can keep details turned up at 1680x1050, and stay at 35+ FPS, that's all I really need. I'll ride my Q6600 as long as I can.
 
I feel the same way. I really don't feel that my Q6600 @ 3.2 holds me back that much (and it's a bit slower than your 965). As long as I can keep details turned up at 1680x1050, and stay at 35+ FPS, that's all I really need. I'll ride my Q6600 as long as I can.

Same here. FPS barely increases in the games I play between my friend's 2600k @ 4ghz and my Q6600 @ 3.6... Let alone when I clock up to 4ghz too.

Maybe, MAYBE next generation...
 
truth is most games are first designed for the console market. Since that is were all the money is. So requirements are not evolving like they have on the pc for years. Next big jump in games will come when the new consoles come out.

reasons you upgrade your cpu atm if you have more than 4 cores at 2.6ghz+ would be for video editing, multitasking, encoding, and PS...etc.

Personally i have yet to max all 6 cores on my cpu yet unless im doing encoding.

Yes i will upgrade to bulldozer when it comes out, why because i can, and i spend most of my days on the pc.
 
All I want is a BullDozer that is competitive with Sandy Bridge in IPC and clock, has 6 cores, and can overclock to be competitive with an OC'ed SB. For $200. And a motherboard that is ok for overclocking and has USB 3 and SATA 3 for around $100.

So BD + Mobo for $300.

Is this realistic? Or should I go buy a 2500k?

Looks like there are going to be 4 processors released in June, an 8, 6, and 4 core at 95watt, and an 8 core at 125.

Code:
Model 	FX-8130P FX-8110 FX-6110 FX-4110
Code Name 	Zambezi
Cores 	8 	8 	6 	4
L2 Cache 	8MB 	8MB 	6MB 	4MB
L3 Cache 	Up to 8MB
TDP 	125W 	95W 	95W 	95W
 
Last edited:
All I want is a BullDozer that is competitive with Sandy Bridge in IPC and clock, has 6 cores, and can overclock to be competitive with an OC'ed SB. For $200. And a motherboard that is ok for overclocking and has USB 3 and SATA 3 for around $100.

So BD + Mobo for $300.

Is this realistic? Or should I go buy a 2500k?

Looks like there are going to be 4 processors released in June, an 8, 6, and 4 core at 95watt, and an 8 core at 125.

Code:
Model 	FX-8130P FX-8110 FX-6110 FX-4110
Code Name 	Zambezi
Cores 	8 	8 	6 	4
L2 Cache 	8MB 	8MB 	6MB 	4MB
L3 Cache 	Up to 8MB
TDP 	125W 	95W 	95W 	95W

8 cores, 95W, and 8MB on each the L2 and L3. Very nice. I know they are just numbers for now till we see some hard results.
 
All I want is Bulldozer to be highly competitive. Some competition on Intel's pricing would do some good for the consumer market.

And plus, as much as I love Intel, they get lazy when AMD isn't providing solid competition.
 
Not that I would buy the bulldozer because its more than what I need, but yea I agree that AMD needs to be more competitive, especially after the release of the sandy bridge processors.
 
intel will never get back its crown after bulldozer, that crap is so fast its impossible to comprehend without the aid of computers
 
intel will never get back its crown after bulldozer, that crap is so fast its impossible to comprehend without the aid of computers

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

I'm an AMD fan also, and I hope Bulldozer is really good, but, that comment was pretty asinine... I'd rather have a see-saw type of x86 market.
 
I would hope they get it out before the Z68 motherboards on the intel side start rolling out.
 
Well it is not likely that AMD would win this round. As long as they come closer and have better pricing I couldn't give a damn about what Intel has or can do.
 
Well it is not likely that AMD would win this round. As long as they come closer and have better pricing I couldn't give a damn about what Intel has or can do.

I think this is exactly what AMD needs to do, and appears to be what they are aiming for. Look at the GPU market, as AMD doesn't have the fastest single GPU. However noone can deny that the 6970 and 6950's are one helluva value as you get almost the fastest performance for a big discount.

It would be nice to see AMD achieve the performance crown in the CPU market, but it is far more critical that they excel in the segment where there is enough volume to make money. I'm sure Intel makes one helluva margin on their Gulftown extreme editions, but the sales of $1000-1100 desktop cpus are going to be pretty small.

truth is most games are first designed for the console market. Since that is were all the money is. So requirements are not evolving like they have on the pc for years. Next big jump in games will come when the new consoles come out.

reasons you upgrade your cpu atm if you have more than 4 cores at 2.6ghz+ would be for video editing, multitasking, encoding, and PS...etc.

Personally i have yet to max all 6 cores on my cpu yet unless im doing encoding.

Yes i will upgrade to bulldozer when it comes out, why because i can, and i spend most of my days on the pc.

I think it will also come down to whether the next generation of PC games are going to actually be decently multithreaded. If so, I can see even a high clocked Thuban being adequate for a long time to come. I just find it disappointing that even today, games are lucky to adequately utilize more than 2 cores. I know that multithreading a game is hard, but the resources are there.
 
LOL, you'll be fine!

Unless you are actually putting REAL loads on your processor with stuff other than gaming, you'll be fine for a long time to come. People seem to think gaming rigs need the absolute fastest processors, but that really isn't the case anymore thanks in part to an endless stream of crappy console ports. Because of this, even us AMD PII folks are doing great despite having a processor that is currently 2 generations behind.

well, im just going to wait for the bulldozer to plow down prices on pII x6 to a cheap price

DING!

I would probably upgrade everything else in my rig if I picked up an AM3+ chip. But my PII X4 is still kicking ass. I'm more likely to nab a PII X6 and sell the X4. The whole scenario makes for a promisingly cheap upgrade.
 
I think it will also come down to whether the next generation of PC games are going to actually be decently multithreaded. If so, I can see even a high clocked Thuban being adequate for a long time to come. I just find it disappointing that even today, games are lucky to adequately utilize more than 2 cores. I know that multithreading a game is hard, but the resources are there.

The problem isn't even the multithreading. There isn't an advantage to it. Look at the benchmarks on so called CPU heavy games. The measurable differences are at resolutions that where the actual visibility of these differences are nill. Once you pump up the resolution that difference is nullified as performance becomes more and more GPU bound.

Why I think BD will work is that the only programs that are really seeing a user viewable difference in activity are ones that use multiple cores. Like video encoding and editing and so on. These programs will run smooth and quick on BD. Not a lot of people are going to notice that or run those kinds of apps. But those people are probably who the Llano desktop chips are aimed at.
 
I hoping the "Turbo Core" feature (or whatever AMD is calling it) will get clockspeeds up enough that we'll see some real improvements in gaming.
 
The problem isn't even the multithreading. There isn't an advantage to it. Look at the benchmarks on so called CPU heavy games. The measurable differences are at resolutions that where the actual visibility of these differences are nill. Once you pump up the resolution that difference is nullified as performance becomes more and more GPU bound.

Why I think BD will work is that the only programs that are really seeing a user viewable difference in activity are ones that use multiple cores. Like video encoding and editing and so on. These programs will run smooth and quick on BD. Not a lot of people are going to notice that or run those kinds of apps. But those people are probably who the Llano desktop chips are aimed at.

I was also factoring in that games are only going to increase in cpu intensity as well in the future. However, with the likelihood that we now won't see a next gen video game console till 2015, that probably won't be an issue since we are so insanely console bound right now.
 
Back
Top