AMD high-end CPU heatsinks

gaspah

2[H]4U
Ok, today.. like most days I'm building AMD machines.. just then I was building an Athlon X2 6000+, and I noticed something strange about the heatsinks, there is the copper base and copper heatpipes with aluminium fins... but i noticed with the copper areas around the joins there were silver areas, so i though oh maybe its just what they use to join it.. but curiosity got the better of me and i scratched off a 5mm square on the bottom of the heatsink (away from CPU contact area) to notice underneath it is all silver coloured??? so whats up with that?? to the touch the copper areas are still cooler than the aluminium fins, but that could be due to thickness of the metal... but i dunno.. is it copper-plate? does that offer any thermal benefits? or is it all just "image"....

so i pulled this image of the heatsink off the web, and if i look closely it has a silver area too... hmmm...

see below post for image. deleted this link

Are you saying you scraped off the solder??!

no no.. i scraped away at the copper base.....

i thought the silver bits were solder... and perhaps some of it was...

but i scratched away a 5mm square on the copper base to reveal silver-coloured metal underneath a thin thin layer of copper...

no no no.. i didnt destroy the heatsink.. im not crazy...

i'll take a photo

see on the right hand side??

also the heatpipes scratch the same way.. but i forgot to take photo and cant be botherd now.. must get back to work rather than wasting time.. like i always do...
100_2378.jpg

i guess nobody reads the AMD CPU section anymore huh.. not exactly full of good news

I'm surprised there isn't a speculation thread about the next gen AM3 cpus.

see on the right hand side??

Yeah, that's copper. :rolleyes:

You see a difference in color because the surface is oxidized, so when you scratch away that, you see raw copper which is the color of the scratched area, LOL.

I think the forum is dead mostly because every single thread that has ever made its way into this forum eventually gets turned into...

yeah it's quite sad really.. i feel bad for AMD, they did so well for so long.. we still manage to sell almost exclusively AMD processors (we only do intel for custom order)... but their desparation is obvious.. we had an AMD rep fly over from melbourne to here in perth (3000km away) just to check up on us see how we are going with AMD products etc... fair enough if we were a big store with a big throughput id understand.. but we only build 150-200 AMD machines a month.... to have a rep come out for us smallfrys is a bit excessive...

psshh screw the guessing game.

Find someone and have them run an ICP-MS on the sample to see what it REALLY is.

yeah it's quite sad really.. i feel bad for AMD, they did so well for so long.. we still manage to sell almost exclusively AMD processors (we only do intel for custom order)... but their desparation is obvious.. we had an AMD rep fly over from melbourne to here in perth (3000km away) just to check up on us see how we are going with AMD products etc... fair enough if we were a big store with a big throughput id understand.. but we only build 150-200 AMD machines a month.... to have a rep come out for us smallfrys is a bit excessive...

Wow... that makes me feel bad about AMD as well :(.

psshh screw the guessing game.

Find someone and have them run an ICP-MS on the sample to see what it REALLY is.

Yes hello, is this NASA? Hey, I have a quick question...What? You're busy doing science? Don't take that tone with me! I pay taxes, you work for me!

Yes hello, is this NASA? Hey, I have a quick question...What? You're busy doing science? Don't take that tone with me! I pay taxes, you work for me!

:p :p :p :p

too bad i dont pay taxes in the states.. or id do that right now :)

Ummm, NASA is government funded, but still a commercial enterprise. :rolleyes:

Hey ,, back on topic...THATS NORMAL Thermal properties turned the HS the darker shade Period...Even the Contact patch looked good....

For Best Aircoolin HeatSink...May I recomend a Thermalright 120 or the Extream version of it..

Kinda looks like you have a Biostar Mobo from the layout and Blue color PCB...Should fit...Or even get a Nice Synth Cooler....Most are Better than the Stocker.

Look at these option from http://www.thermalright.com/

Hey ,, back on topic...THATS NORMAL Thermal properties turned the HS the darker shade Period...Even the Contact patch looked good....

For Best Aircoolin HeatSink...May I recomend a Thermalright 120 or the Extream version of it..

Kinda looks like you have a Biostar Mobo from the layout and Blue color PCB...Should fit...Or even get a Nice Synth Cooler....Most are Better than the Stocker.

Look at these option from http://www.thermalright.com/

Ive got the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and its absolutely fantastic. Id give it a shot if youre in the market for an aircooling solution my temps dropped drastically (with a zalman 9500 I was loading about 20C above where I am now with my Phenom 9950).

Back