AMD HD8xxx new features

TheArTcher

Limp Gawd
Info about the upcoming AMD HD8xxx series on AMD site.

AMD Radeon

I don't know how much of this is in the 7xxx series but if you scroll down to "Multiple Displays" it shows color support for two independent monitors. Under "Display Support" it shows some interesting features including major HDMI support.

Can anyone tell what else might be new and interesting?

The next gen AMD cards (Sea Islands?) haven't officially been announced yet. So, no specifications are known.

These rebadges ARE the HD8xxx series.

Sea Islands will have a different name. HD9xxx maybe.

They will be CGN gen 2, that will be the give away.

I believe they tore a page out of the NVidia playbook. Weren't there OEM only 300's

If they come out with a 9700pro or a 9800XT I may have to buy it just out of nostalgia.

I can't believe I spent that money on those cards back in the day.

If they come out with a 9700pro or a 9800XT I may have to buy it just out of nostalgia.

I miss my 9700 pro.
Went from a 3dfx Orchid Voodoo 1 to that...:D

The (pre-AMD) 9800 series and 9700 series made mincemeat of anything that nVidia was shipping at the time (including the infamous *dustbuster* GeForce FX 5-series) for the same price- if not less.

I still have an AIW9700 Pro (at the time, the AIW9800 Pro hadn't shipped, so this was ATI's flagship Ginsu card) which turned out to be my last purchase from CompUSA (Alexandria, VA near Landmark Mall). The *only* failure it had was the 3.5" floppy-based power cable - it's one of two spares for the old AGP-bus PCs that still pass through (the other is the X1650 PRO, also in AGP, that would replace it). This AIW was one of the few that didn't suffer with an underclocked core compared to the non-AIW counterparts.

I miss my 9700 pro.
Went from a 3dfx Orchid Voodoo 1 to that...:D

I tag-teamed my AIW 9700 Pro with a Diamond Monster 3D II 12 MB (Rev. E) for my Forsaken Flamethrower - both cards still work.

Back in the days of 3dfx, I bought an original Voodoo I to tag-team with (then) an original (I thought) AIW Radeon 7200 (considering I bought it retail from Babbage's, I had no idea that there was anything unusual about it) just in case GLide took off.

What I would discover was that the 3dfx cards could also be quite decent Direct3D cards - as long as you stuck to 16-bit color. Result - I had the AIW for 2D and 24-bit D3D, and the 3dfx card (first the Voodoo I, then the Monster 3D II that would succeed it) for GLide and 16-bit D3D. Throw in the AIW's TV tuner, and I basically had the best of all worlds - especially in first Windows 98, then Windows 2000.

If i rememeber correctly, my 9700AIW PRO replaced a Creative Labs 3D Blaster Annihilator Pro.

Alot of cards mentioned I had. Bought the 9700pro to replace my super awesome ti4600. Both I have very fond memories of.

Back