AMD HD6990

rtangwai

[H]ard|Gawd
Someone on Craigslist is selling an AMD HD6990 for $225. He claims he only used it for MMOs, no bitcoin mining. Normally I would reply "yeah sure" except that the overclock sticker on the card has *NOT* been touched. Would a bitcoin miner actually not overclock this card? Also, could he have overclocked the card with software like Afterburner to avoid touching the switch? I'm a little hesitant about this - I've been looking for a HD 6950 to go tri-Crossifre when I accidently came across this ad, but a few things don't make sense. He claims he's had the card only 10 months yet there is no remaining warranty on it. Deosn't AMD offer 3-year warranty on the HD 6990 as long as you don't hit that overclock switch?

I'm not sure about that - the CL seller I'm looking at is selling only 1 card, no waterblocks, and for a slightly different price.

The seller replied to me using a Gmail account with a full name which makes me less suspicious - I would hide my real name if I wanted to scam someone. Could be fake of course. He's offering to deliver it, I want to see the thing in action with something like Kombustor for 15-20 min. If it passes that cleanly it's probably okay. I'm more suspicious that he claims the warranty is finished - I wonder if he's not the first owner of the card.

See if you can work out a deal for him to wait while you test it. If its only 15-20 minutes, as you suggest, then it shouldn't be a problem for him to wait. Warranty is gone because he's probably not the first owner, just like you said. If it pans out then congrats. If he's unwilling to satisfy a request of a quick test, then oh well - his loss and not yours.

He just got back to me - he's willing to do a test. I'm beginning to think the guy is simply not a techie - he didn't advertise on Kijiji too, just CL. According to him the card came with the computer he bought last December and he's selling it because it is way too loud and wants a GTX690 instead. That makes sense, especially for a MMO plsyer he'd prefer nVidia driver support. I'm going over tomorrow to see it, bringing my pastor with me for protection.

A 690 would make sense if he has a lot of desktop real estate, although I admit AMD is a lot better once you go past 3 monitors.

I live in Canada, where handguns are not common. I'm bringing my pastor because he is also a uniformed police constable with a city-issued .40 Glock. They even issued him ammunition recently (he had not recertified on the range for a while so while he had the gun they didn't give him bullets for a few years). He's the only man I have ever met who can legally shoot you and perform last rites on you at the same time :)

Yeah man, I wasn't laughing at you or saying it's impossible. Just a little out of the ordinary on both counts. Sorry if I came off offensive.

Anyway, it does sound fishy, but if he's willing to comply with your testing criteria, I don't see the harm in looking. Hope it works out for you.

No offense taken - I'm the first to admit that people wonder why I put *THAT* much faith in God when I'm doing something like this. They don't realize that I'm padding that faith with a Glock, bulletproof vest, and police car (he's giving me a ride to the place - it is in his division and he confirmed with me it isn't a local crackhouse or grow-op or gang hangout). I even had a quick criminal background check done on the seller - my pastor can't legally tell me what it says, but he tells me the only reason he's coming along is because I'm buying him lunch :)

While I'm always a proponent of having friends in high places, my pastor brings that to a whole new level :)

I'm crossing my fingers...

LOL at this. This made my day.

So, two Roberts looking at two Radeon 6990s in a Craigslist ad priced at $200 and $225 each.

However, one is in Canada and the other is in Arizona.

:eek:

That is like something out of a Twilight Zone episode.

Go to his house, test it and try not to get kidnapped.

Hence the pastor with the police car, bulletproof vest, and Glock - I'm buying him lunch *AFTER* I pick up the card so it is in his best interest to make sure I don't get kidnapped :D

He just got back to me - he's willing to do a test. I'm beginning to think the guy is simply not a techie - he didn't advertise on Kijiji too, just CL. According to him the card came with the computer he bought last December and he's selling it because it is way too loud and wants a GTX690 instead. That makes sense, especially for a MMO plsyer he'd prefer nVidia driver support. I'm going over tomorrow to see it, bringing my pastor with me for protection.

A non-techie concerned about driver support?

ya i actually just got back from picking them up and they aere both legit working cards the guy i bought mine from worked from a forum and did reviews he had soooo much shit in his garage he actually had to cover one of his rigs up as i walked up to the garage because the video card he was testing hasnt been released just a really cool guy we talked for an hour or so and im going to bbq with him sunday hah

Got the HD6990 today. Nice seller, he got it with his Alienware computer (which explains a *LOT*). It works fine, I only have one little problem - it doesn't fit in my case! It is the Dell version and it has a guide rail at the end of the card. Normally I would simply unscrew the rail but it turns out it is part of the backplate so I may have to take a hacksaw to it.

aaahahahaha. All that and the card doesn't even fit. lmao.

Cheers to both of you for finding sweet 6990s :D

The Craigslist here in Oregon is full of overpriced junk... One guy wouldnt go below $300 for his 570... I was like, wow, FFS!!!

I was going to say that you can just take off the backplate... but that is not true.

Just confirmed with my own 6990. :/

The backplate does come off, what I am *NOT* sure about is if the shroud screws into the backplate. If it doesn't I can put heatsinks on the RAM, if it does then it's hacksaw time. At least I can separate the backplate from the card before sawing so there is no risk of a metal shard causing a short. I won't know until Sunday night as I am doing the Thanksgiving thing most of the weekend and I won't be home until then. It is galling having the card and unable to plug it in.

Still, I am better off than Robert125381 - I have a 1000W power supply so I should be able to run quadfire and even if it isn't strong enough I have *ANOTHER* 1000W power supply I can plug in tandem if absolutely necessary.

Back