• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AMD HD 4670 reviews

Yea.... compared to the 256 3850 card...

Would still like to see the price on this, and how it would compare to nvidia's 9400/9500GT.
 
You might want to look at the review then.
I know right. lol

this looks like a nice replacement for my struggling 8600gt. I mainly game at 1024x768(crt) so I dont need much but the 8600gt isnt cutting it anymore even at that res. also the 4670 is small and doesnt need external power. ATI is making Nvidia look foolish for this generation of cards.
 
I might just get this for a htpc i'm planning on building. A couple of this on the DFI x-fire micro-atx may just be a great combo.
 
The HD4670 looks to be a great card for ~$80; if it comes in at that price. Falls right between the Nvidia 9500GT and 9600GT performance nicely (leaning heavily towards the 9600gt side). It actually beats the 9600GSO in 3 of the 4 game tests.

I was also glancing at HD4650 (DDR2) benchmarks and it seems to fall between the 9500GT and 9600GT performance wise too, but leans towards the 9500GT performance. Again great card at the ~$60-70 range easily beating the 9500GT in performance and features.

Interesting that it has pretty much the same specs as the HD3850, but with half the memory bus. Yet it runs nearly good, even beating it sometimes.

It will be interesting to see where street prices hit.
 
This is inconsistent with previous rumors of MSRP for this card:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15432

If it is indeed around $80, then it provides excellent value. If not, there's really no point in getting this over a 9600 GT or even a 8800 GT, which can be found for around the same price as the suggested MSRP for a HD 4670 in the link above.
 
Interesting that it has pretty much the same specs as the HD3850, but with half the memory bus. Yet it runs nearly good, even beating it sometimes.

The comparison is a bit off, because the HD 4670 used, is fitted with 512 MB of GDDR3, while the HD 3850 used only has 256 MB of GDDR3. Many games go beyond 256 MB of frame buffer, so the HD 3850 256 MB will obviously suffer from that.
 
This is inconsistent with previous rumors of MSRP for this card:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15432

If it is indeed around $80, then it provides excellent value. If not, there's really no point in getting this over a 9600 GT or even a 8800 GT, which can be found for around the same price as the suggested MSRP for a HD 4670 in the link above.
every review is saying MSRP $79.99 for the 4870. just think in a couple weeks these things will be even cheaper. as soon as Best Buy has a sale on these Im going to pick one up. it will be a nice improvement over my 8600gt and its a small card that doesnt need external power.
 
You can edit the title too if you want.

The 128 bit memory bus is seriously hurting the card, as was expected. Unless it is given a sub $90 price tag, I don't see the reason to get one, over a 9600 GT.
 
"The Radeon HD 4670 is priced at $79, which in the past hasn't really gotten you a very good gaming experience regardless of who made the chip. "
The price/performance is close to that of 4850.
 
You can edit the title too if you want.

The 128 bit memory bus is seriously hurting the card, as was expected. Unless it is given a sub $90 price tag, I don't see the reason to get one, over a 9600 GT.

I just replied to you in the other thread about this letting you know that $79.99 is the msrp but you know the actuall prices will be much cheaper soon.

the 4670 is a better option for people with oem comps like HP/Compaq because they wont have to upgrade their psu to run these cards. the card needs no external power and is quite small. also the 9600gt would be pushing it with those cheap factory power supplies.


EDIT: no I cant change the actual forum thread title. I can ONLY change the post title.

EDIT 2: mods fixed it. :)
 
cannondale06 said:
the 4670 is a better option for people with oem comps like HP/Compaq because they wont have to upgrade their psu to run these cards. the card needs no external power and is quite small. also the 9600gt would be pushing it with those cheap factory power supplies.

According to the tests, the 9600 GT performs much better, while not consuming that much power over a HD 4670 (around 20-25W more in both idle and load), so the only advantage only seems to be the size of the card and the $79 price tag, if true, but still, there are already deals for the 9600 GT, for something like $89-99.
 
According to the tests, the 9600 GT performs much better, while not consuming that much power over a HD 4670 (around 20-25W more in both idle and load), so the only advantage only seems to be the size of the card and the $79 price tag, if true, but still, there are already deals for the 9600 GT, for something like $89-99.
yes but $99 isnt the MSRP of a 9600gt now is it? the 4670 will be cheaper than MSRP in a few days and probably have sales and rebates of its own. also the 4670 doesnt need external power and 20-25 watts can make or break an oem power supply. so the 4670 is an ok deal at MSRP but will be a great deal when it drops another $15-$20. ;)
 
We did not cover these cards, we find them to be a "non-issue" to our readers. The fact is that last year we made some efforts to cover sub-$100 video cards and you guys just did not read the articles, so we stopped spending the money to do them.
 
The landscape has definitely changed over the last two years though. Two years ago I bought an X1800GTO for AU$300. Today (well, within the next month anyway) I'll be able to get an HD4670 for probably less than AU$100 (I can actually get an HD3850 512MB for AU$99 today).

The $100 card today is 2-3 times faster than the $300 card from 2 years ago, and is capable of playing most current games at current resolutions (e.g. 1680x1050) with anti-aliasing. It's also less power-hungry and can therefore run with a quieter fan (or possibly even passive).

I'm the recommender for many people building systems (actually, I also do the building ...), and I can assure you I've been reading the various reviews of the HD4670 very closely. Personally, I don't care if you don't do one, but I think you'll find there are a lot more people at this site interested in the sub-$100 cards these days than there used to be.
 
If it is indeed around $80, then it provides excellent value. If not, there's really no point in getting this over a 9600 GT or even a 8800 GT,
The PCB isn't as long and it uses less power (definitely a consideration for many older/OEM systems too). :p I can't even fit an 8800GT/9600GT into my SFF system that currently has a (short length, regular height) HD 2600XT. I wish the reviews would have compared the power consumption to the older cards instead of just the HD 3650. I can only indirectly compare it to other reviews and *assume* it uses a little less power.

The card is looking like a winner to me, even at $80.
 
Looks like the perfect HTPC card for those that want a bit of extra performance beyond watching HD video.:confused: Price point makes this even a good card to buy as a backup in case your high end card dies.
 
Damn, so tempting! Good enough for my media center to also do gaming, and still keep my entire system under 100W! :eek:
 
I think so. Anand got 139W load with a Q9450, I'm running a 35W 3800+.

x2 3800+
780G chipset
2x 7K1000, RAID1
4670

I can see that hovering around 100W. :)
 
I think so. Anand got 139W load with a Q9450, I'm running a 35W 3800+.

x2 3800+
780G chipset
2x 7K1000, RAID1
4670

I can see that hovering around 100W. :)
that 139 watt load number seems a little low for FULL system load though. yeah with your cpu I guess you wouldnt be too much over 100 watts under gaming load.
 
This this card is indeed $80 or below, I will have no qualms about throwing together a F@H box armed with a few of these.
 
really? the entire system would be under 100 watts during load?
My picoBTX SFF system with an E6600, HD 2600XT, 7200RPM HD and DVD burner loaded up with everything (HD usage, RTHDRIBL and Orthos at once) uses ~125W from the wall. The DC power usage with that load should be around 100W. That may not be the maximum power possible, but it's a higher load than i'll see in almost anything I use that system for. Comparing different reviews since none directly compared the HD 2600XT to the HD 4670, the HD 4670 seems to use a couple fewer watts at idle and under load. I may be able to shave a few watts from my SFF system and increase gaming performance (and replace my HTPC with it). :)

I wish nvidia would have had a new mid range card available for preview, but this HD 4670 doesn't look disappointng at all.

Maybe we should have some kind of 100W challenge in the SFF forum. ;)
 
My picoBTX SFF system with an E6600, HD 2600XT, 7200RPM HD and DVD burner loaded up with everything (HD usage, RTHDRIBL and Orthos at once) uses ~125W from the wall. The DC power usage with that load should be around 100W. That may not be the maximum power possible, but it's a higher load than i'll see in almost anything I use that system for. Comparing different reviews since none directly compared the HD 2600XT to the HD 4670, the HD 4670 seems to use a couple fewer watts at idle and under load. I may be able to shave a few watts from my SFF system and increase gaming performance (and replace my HTPC with it). :)

I wish nvidia would have had a new mid range card available for preview, but this HD 4670 doesn't look disappointng at all.

Maybe we should have some kind of 100W challenge in the SFF forum. ;)

I'm definetly game, but I don't think i'm going to build a SFF for gaming at all :( maybe if I equip this card it could be true but thats not the intention of the HTPC
 
Maybe we should have some kind of 100W challenge in the SFF forum. ;)
That would be fun to see, but predictable. G33/G35 MoDT, QX9300, and 4670 would be unbeatable.

Instead, let's see who can cram the most performance into a SFF case- I'm finishing up a mod project using the same B200B case as you, but with a Q6700 and a reference-length 4850. I even have one more trick up my sleeve, which I won't spoil just yet. :p
 
I even have one more trick up my sleeve, which I won't spoil just yet. :p
Is the trick the cooler? That seems to be the only thing preventing full length cards from fitting. :p Intake fan + lower profile cooler (or water block), and maybe side ventillation. Well, the stock PSU may be a problem too.

I had Crossfire X1650 Pro in one of my GlobalWin YCC-S27 slim mATX cases. :p If there were low profile HD 4670 cards I could put some serious graphics in that type of case.
 
well its obviously your call but I would have liked to seen your playable settings for the 4670 in popular games. any chance you could maybe include the 4670 if you do a "Gameplay Performance and IQ" review of any upcoming games?

Nope. And the reason is that these article DO NOT turn pages. It costs us $X to do a eval, pretty much no matter what the card is. Once it gets "low end" these articles to not get read on HardOCP. Been there, done that.
 
Is the trick the cooler? That seems to be the only thing preventing full length cards from fitting. :p Intake fan + lower profile cooler (or water block), and maybe side ventillation. Well, the stock PSU may be a problem too.

I had Crossfire X1650 Pro in one of my GlobalWin YCC-S27 slim mATX cases. :p If there were low profile HD 4670 cards I could put some serious graphics in that type of case.
I don't know if you remember my original thread asking about CFX power supplies, but the layout won't even come close to handling a Q6700 by itself (let alone a 4850); first I blew out a PSU in a closed case (onboard video), then the system kept overheating and shutting down (just sitting in BIOS) when I left it open. I had to rethink the entire cooling system. The heatsink is only half the story.
 
I just talked with a rep from newegg on their chat service. She told me to call or visit MSI's website, and the info they post is from the manufacture. They didn't deny it or say it was correct.
 
I just talked with a rep from newegg on their chat service. She told me to call or visit MSI's website, and the info they post is from the manufacture. They didn't deny it or say it was correct.
well its not correct. thats the reference pcb and they wont be making any 256-bit version anyway.

my little chat with them:

rob: you have a mistake on a new product listing. it should be 128-bit NOT 256-bit. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127383

Rita: Can you please give me one moment while I look into this for you?
rob: okay

Rita: We are so sorry for the confusion. However, all the information you see on Newegg.com comes directly from the manufacturer. We guarantee the information provided on our website. In this case, we suggest you to call MSI at 1-626-581-3001 or visit their website at http://www.msicomputer.com/ for accurate answers.

rob: well your customers will look at the specs YOU have listed so they need to be correct.

Rita: I have forwarded this issue to our related department for further investigation. Once we investigate this issue we will make any changes necessary to the item description and/or photos in order to rectify this situation.

rob: okay thanks. once somebody that knows about video cards looks at this they will see that it is a mistake. Im just trying to help prevent a lot of confusion.

Rita: Thank you so much for your feedback.

Rita: Any update should be in effect shortly if necessary so please check our website periodically for changes.
 
Back
Top