AMD have aktiv adapter to debut during summer for HDMI 2.0

Flopper

[H]ard|Gawd
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28199976&postcount=706

Just to confirm.

The AMD Radeon™ Fury X is an enthusiast graphics card designed to provide multi-display 4K gaming at 60Hz.

In addition, Active DisplayPort 1.2a-to-HDMI 2.0 adapters are set to debut this summer. These adapters will enable any graphics cards with DP1.2a outputs to deliver 4K@60Hz gaming on UHD televisions that support HDMI 2.0.

Is it certified or third party? Big difference here.

Certified means we can hold them accountable for stating this, and not just trying to put out the fire.

I can't wait for the fanboy response to this. Instead of including the tech nVidia already provides right out the box, we are going to sell something separate.

It was the plan from the beginning. Team green for yet another generation. Nice shot in the foot AMD.

Good lord, wouldn't want to be a forum rep these days... Oye...

That being said, I'm surprised AMDMatt was cleared for addressing a product under partial NDA and should be even more careful of his wording in this equivalent of a shark pool.

Doesn't say anywhere that AMD is going to be making/selling them, just that they are supposed to debut this Summer. So buy our most expensive card(s) and then pay (someone else who we have no responsibilty or liability for) more to get them to actually work on your stuff. Nice.

Good lord, wouldn't want to be a forum rep these days... Oye...

That being said, I'm surprised AMDMatt was cleared for addressing a product under partial NDA and should be even more careful of his wording in this equivalent of a shark pool.

They should have said this 3 days ago.
not support hdmi 2, adapter incoming.
thats an oversight in todays social media.

No I don't think for one second it was an over sight. People were asking this weeks ago, and MUCH more 3 days ago. All over social media this was directly asked to AMD.

It was not popular, so AMD decided to just no address the issue.

No I don't think for one second it was an over sight. People were asking this weeks ago, and MUCH more 3 days ago. All over social media this was directly asked to AMD.

It was not popular, so AMD decided to just no address the issue.

anyway IMO the wrong call.

If it's an active display adapter then all kinds of headaches like increased input lag, lack of HDCP 2.2, & oculus rift support become a question mark.

Oculus have stated they include a DVI-D to HDMI adapter with the Rift so it's probably just an HDMI 1.4 port. That should be good enough for 1440P Oled low persistence.

Last edited:
If it's an active display adapter then all kinds of headaches like increased input lag, lack of HDCP 2.2, & oculus rift support become a question mark.
It will have to be active and it will also be a third party. From the sounds of it hes just repeating what everyone else on the forums is saying about that third party adapter that made an appearance at ces with no real info about it other than it is coming sometime in 2015.

HDMI is old. DP is by far the better choice.

HDMI 2.0 is just now supporting 4k/60hz, while DP 1.2 has supported that since 2009. Not to mention DP supports up to 8k.

HDMI 2.0 is just now supporting 4k/60hz, while DP 1.2 has supported that since 2009. Not to mention DP supports up to 8k.

Yeah, but most TV MFR's are fucking idiots and not putting DP ports on them.

They would rather pay HDMI Royalties. :rolleyes:

It may be old but HDMI is what 4k bluray runs on, it's also what the Oculus Rift runs on, it's also what ALL of the home theater receivers use for high def audio passthrough to be compliant with HDCP. I don't like it either but that's the reality.

Yeah but display port also limits you to 27 inches since thats the biggest monitor that supports it. Dell has a 32 inch 4k but its double the money as a 40 inch 4k samsung. Looking to upgrade in size and resolution from my 1600p dell and my options within my price range is a 40inch samsung 4k or a 27 inch 4k. 27 Inch would be a downgrade and another 2 inches doesnt justify spending 2 grand when I can spend $900 and get another 10 inches and 10 more pixels per inch.

No shit, Sherlock. You don't think we use this cancerous standard by choice, do you?

If you want a display that wasn't designed for an ant (I.E. a TELEVISION), you need HDMI.

Let me know when they start including DisplayPorts on reasonably sized displays and I'll be all in.

No shit, Sherlock. You don't think we use this cancerous standard by choice, do you?

If you want a display that wasn't designed for an ant (I.E. a TELEVISION), you need HDMI.

Let me know when they start including DisplayPorts on reasonably sized displays and I'll be all in.

I agree completely, it's not like 4k 28 inchers are flying off shelves. It's WAY too small.

Looks like I won't buy a UHDTV until they have display port.
I'll vote with my wallet

I agree completely, it's not like 4k 28 inchers are flying off shelves. It's WAY too small.

I'm about to buy a 4K 27" Dell for the desk in my office. I don't want a 40" TV on my desk. Too goddam big.

No way the adapter is AMD's. They don't have the R&D budget and this is an engineering problem companies have been trying to solve for a couple of years now. Plus, they would have to pay HDMI royalties on each adapter..which they could have just paid for on the cards and not have to worry about the PR stink.

Getting tired of every response from PR starting with "4k 4k! We have 4k! Children love 4k. You don't hate children do you? Did we mention we do 4k?"

I'm just worried that the adapter will take forever to hit the market, similar to the MST 1.2 hub screwup where they came out 2 years later than originally announced.

The whole point of 4k is so you can sit closer to a bigger screen. Why would you buy a 27 inch 4k and have the text be microscopic when you can buy a 1440p monitor for 1/4 of the price and still have a decent ppi?

Might want to bundle it with a telescope. You'll need one to read any text.

You mean a microscope? I won't be needing one of those either. Have you actually tried it or are you just bleating the same shit you read over and over again on the Internet?

The whole point of 4k is so you can sit closer to a bigger screen. Why would you buy a 27 inch 4k and have the text be microscopic when you can buy a 1440p monitor for 1/4 of the price and still have a decent ppi?

27" is plenty big enough when you're sitting right in front of it. Thanks.

I'm just worried that the adapter will take forever to hit the market, similar to the MST 1.2 hub screwup where they came out 2 years later than originally announced.

I don't think the adapter release timing matters, because who is going to spend $750-$775 for Fury 4GB + Adapter vs just $650 for a 980Ti 6GB and similar performance with no adapter headaches?

The adapter is a band aid on a broken arm because it raises the total cost unreasonably.

You mean a microscope? I won't be needing one of those either. Have you actually tried it or are you just bleating the same shit you read over and over again on the Internet?

I've used 4k at 100% at 39 and 40 inches. It's small, not ultra tiny, but small enough that I'll use browser zoom a lot. Would literally be unreadable at 27 inches without a ton of DPI scaling.

You clearly never used a decent monitor then. When I went from a 1400x900 19 inch to a 2560x1600 30 inch there was no way I could ever go back. Initially I thought it was too big but when the resolution is so high its just like using a smaller one. And you dont have to fullscreen anything. I keep my chrome open in a little tiny window that allows me to see more than your 1080p monitor.

Yeah but display port also limits you to 27 inches since thats the biggest monitor that supports it. Dell has a 32 inch 4k but its double the money as a 40 inch 4k samsung. Looking to upgrade in size and resolution from my 1600p dell and my options within my price range is a 40inch samsung 4k or a 27 inch 4k. 27 Inch would be a downgrade and another 2 inches doesnt justify spending 2 grand when I can spend $900 and get another 10 inches and 10 more pixels per inch.
¿Qué?

http://www.benq.us/product/monitor/bl3201ph/
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UC97-S-ultrawide-monitor
http://www.philips.com.au/c-p/BDM4065UC_75/brilliance-led-backlit-lcd-display
https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/viera-televisions/led/tx-l65wt600b.html

Possibly, but really if it wasn't HDMI, it would be something else counter-marketers would latch onto as the "worse possible mistake ever OMG WTF were they thinking!".

Looks like I won't buy a UHDTV until they have display port.
I'll vote with my wallet

+1 for not voluntarily paying the HDMI tax which only exists because of certain manufactures getting together to dictate they want more profit versus the VESA standard. Unfortunately they do make tons of money locking DisplayPort out until the public backlash becomes big enough to impact their bottom line.

Indeed it is, although Macs do it best for the desktop use at this point IMO. As for gaming 60hz still kills the deal for me, glad I tried it before buying in.

Indeed it is, although Macs do it best for the desktop use at this point IMO. As for gaming 60hz still kills the deal for me, glad I tried it before buying in.

I really don't game much anymore and when I do invest any significant time, it's something like Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity. I've finally dropped the pretense that I'm still an avid gamer after buying all these AAA titles at release and not playing them for more than a few days. I just lose interest. Mostly interested in the increased DPI for photography work.

I was unaware phillips had a screen that supported display port. Im sure there are some issues with it tho and phillips isnt exactly the first brand I would buy. Panasonic is too big and expensive for a monitor. The benq is too expensive and idk if you have ever seen an ultrawide monitor in person but they look tiny. I saw that exact one at best buy and i thought it was a 24 inch monitor.

I was unaware phillips had a screen that supported display port. Im sure there are some issues with it tho and phillips isnt exactly the first brand I would buy. Panasonic is too big and expensive for a monitor. The benq is too expensive and idk if you have ever seen an ultrawide monitor in person but they look tiny. I saw that exact one at best buy and i thought it was a 24 inch monitor.
Keep moving those goal posts...

A 34" 21:9 is the same height as a 27", but wider.

The Philips display reviewed really well.

The Panasonic is a TV.

But the point was you said that you're limited to 27" if you want a DP input...

Even giving him the benefit of the doubt of not knowing the existence of these monitors, how could he possibly say that 27" is the max DP can support? Does he have a crystal ball and saw that no one building larger monitors would ever put in a DP? Well clearly he needs a new crystal ball.

Back