AMD GPU that matches GTX 980

If both cards are overclocked: Furie. At stock: 390X, 290X.

Last edited:
290/390 would be close 290x/390x +/- not counting DX12 where Radeons are faster currently and probably will remain faster due to the way they are built and Nvidia screwing the pooch from a hardware set used to build their cards as well as directly lying in support of upselling towards DX12.

380x is releasing on the 15th that is one I am looking towards though 290x and some others can be had for sale or second owned for quite low cost not to mention the cost for these very high end card, well maybe not Nvidia is WAY low compared to say 3 years ago which is awesome.

Just buy a GTX 980, the only card that generally competes with a GTX 980 is the Fury but an overclocked GTX 980 will typically trade blows with a Fury X.

Just buy a GTX 980, the only card that generally competes with a GTX 980 is the Fury but an overclocked GTX 980 will typically trade blows with a Fury X.

That is what I would recommend, due to the overclock potential of 980s.

290x / 390x in higher resolutions 1440p and up. At 1080p probably fury or fury X.

Trades blows with 390/390X in DX11 and older. GTX 980 Falls behind in DX12.

Trades blows with 390/390X in DX11 and older. GTX 980 Falls behind in DX12.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html

You can easily add another 10% to those FPS figures with overclocking. AMD cards overclock poorly and are clocked much closer to their limits in order to compete at the expense of power consumption. Let's not forget the GTX 980 costs less than the Fury and Fury X.

GTX 980 when overclocked is just as good in DX12, look at where it would be if it was benchmarked.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9659/fable-legends-directx-12-benchmark-analysis/2

This.

290x / 390x (=clocked 290x) hold up to the stock 980 in some games, not in others.
Then you can clock the 980 quite a lot.
Not really a competition if you overclock.

Oh FFS...quit bringing up the idiotic DX12 pre-alpha tech demo bullshit agrgument. People that are shopping (right now/today) in the price segment of the 980 or Fury likely would have upgraded to Arctic Islands/Pascal (or even their sucessors) by the time any DX12 games that actually make real use of that LLAPI come out...those are still a multitude of years away. Fact of the matter is that ALL existing DX12 compatible/compliant GPUs will show benefits with DX12...some more than others...same as when worthy DX8 games came out, then 9, and 10, 11, and soon 12.

290X 8GB if you want to keep it cheap.
Fury or 980 if you have the coin to spend.
...enjoy the current (and upcoming) crop of DX11 games and then worry about a GPU upgrade once it no longer provides the performance you want with future games, DX11 or DX12.

290X 8GB models are selling for as much as a 390X. Might as well get the 390X.

I was in the same boat a couple weeks ago. Went with the 390X since it's cheaper. Mine overclocks to 1180/1690 no problem.

What are you actually looking to do?

If it were me for an AMD specific card in this class I'd just get a R9 390 and upgrade sooner, anything above that is diminishing returns. The 390x has 10% more stream processors (at most 10% faster) but is generally 30% more, if the 390 is too slow then the 390x is not going to be noticeably faster.

In terms of comparing against the GTX 980 generally speaking the performance difference is not going to be very significant outside of specific cases. In those cases a 390x is not going to help much either. You'd have to go up to the massively higher priced Fury.

Or see what 290/290x are still on sale.

I would not jump on Fury unless you need a Mini ITX system that's tiny.
To me its 390/X for saving cash until the next gen GPUs from Nvidia and AMD or its just going GTX980Ti if you want performance for a decent while.

390 is the best value right now and overclocked trades blows with a stock 980 or even beats it in some cases. The 390X ain't worth the premium. Use the available TDP to overclock the 390 on the MSI Gaming card as they have the same cooler's as the 390X and you should hit around 1150-1200 core if you get an average binned chip with a mild voltage bump. Extra 4GB of RAM is also nice to have for some games like GTAV, crappy console loets or heavily modded Bethesda games.

Back