AMD FX-Series "Bulldozer" will ship end of June

octoploid

n00b
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...alizes_Shipment_Dates_for_Next_Gen_Chips.html

Shipments of AMD FX-series high-end desktop microprocessors will commence on the week of June 20th, 2011; Supplies of A-series APUs will begin on the week of July 4th, 2011, according to industrial sources.
, AMD plans to release four eight-core AMD FX8000-series chips, two six-core AMD FX6000-series microprocessors and two quad-core AMD FX4000-series central processing units (CPUs). The amount of quad-core and dual-core A-series APUs will be eleven, if the plans do not change.

...but ...but im already halfway into my sandy bridge build......

fuck you technology.

Hope these can outperform Intel's current high end offerings, looking forward to those 8 core CPU's.

Dont want to wait till June 20th. I was hoping for an April or May release.

Oh well, time to order my SB :)

That's a long ass wait. I don't know how much longer I can hold out for an upgrade.

By Q3 2011 Intel will also be releasing their LGA2011 platform. People may want to wait for that. I wished AMD could've released Bulldozer earlier.

That's a long ass wait. I don't know how much longer I can hold out for an upgrade.

If you currently have a C2Q or equivalent, you can last a bit longer as even the oldass AMD PII's are still hanging on very well.

By Q3 2011 Intel will also be releasing their LGA2011 platform. People may want to wait for that. I wished AMD could've released Bulldozer earlier.

If all the initial LGA2011 offerings are just quad channel equivalents of the Sandy Bridge stuff, it may not make that big of a difference. Sure we see all sorts of benchmarks that show how awesome all that memory bandwidth is, but it isn't that way in real gaming and junk. I think we all wish that BD would have come earlier, but we can't do anything about that. My fear is that BD may be too little too late, but at least it will bring some competition back. Of course we know that Intel will be releasing an 8 core processor of their own at some point.......

eh you can survive a few more months with that Q9550.. the wait is win win for everyone.. prices should come down on lga-1155 by then as well.

question for me will be when will they ship from retailers... im hoping to get mine by the beginning of July for PDXLan 18. Have a feeling this will be another Q6600 year at PDX for me :)

If we were looking at something awesome we'd have seen more numbers by now. June isn't that far out and AMD would definitely be trying to get current buyers to hold off with impressive numbers if AMD had them I think.

...but ...but im already halfway into my sandy bridge build......

f**k you technology.

We still have not seen any performance numbers. I would still bet the farm (if I owned a farm) that the SB would be faster than bulldozer in desktop applications..

eh you can survive a few more months with that Q9550.. the wait is win win for everyone.. prices should come down on lga-1155 by then as well.

Probably so. Been fighting this itch since Nehalem and now SB. Well, got no choice but to wait but seeing some numbers would be nice.

If we were looking at something awesome we'd have seen more numbers by now. June isn't that far out and AMD would definitely be trying to get current buyers to hold off with impressive numbers if AMD had them I think.

AMD rarely if ever has released numbers until right before launch IIRC.....why scare off buyers for whats in the market now ?

Probably so. Been fighting this itch since Nehalem and now SB. Well, got no choice but to wait but seeing some numbers would be nice.

lol.. if nehalem wasn't a good enough reason to upgrade then ya might as well keep waiting. :p

AMD rarely if ever has released numbers until right before launch IIRC.....why scare off buyers for whats in the market now ?

But in CPUs AMD is simply not in a position to worry about its current sales, it needs FUTURE sales desperately and it's just hard for me to believe that if Bulldozer is true to its name that more would have been said about it.

Not saying that you're not right but AMD just isn't in a position to do business as usual.

Last edited:
Bulldozer will outperform Phenom by 50% ---- given the same price, clock speed, performance of top-end chips... what???

Are they comparing an 8-core Bulldozer to a 6-core Thuban?

Bulldozer will outperform Phenom by 50% ---- given the same price, clock speed, performance of top-end chips... what???

Are they comparing an 8-core Bulldozer to a 6-core Thuban?

That comparison was about MagnyCours and the server line. I believe it was that a 2 processor 8 core bulldozer server chips would outperform 2 processor 6 core MagnyCours 2.X GHz chips at the same power draw. For a desktop usage this statement is not saying anything since MagnyCours does not make a good desktop processor. Who needs many slow cores on the desktop?

But in CPUs AMD is simply not in a position to worry about its current sales, it needs FUTURE sales desperately and it's just hard for me to believe that if Bulldozer is true to its name that more would have been said about it.

Not saying that you're not right but AMD just isn't in a position to do business as usual.

Actually current sales are all they should be worried about. AMD is finding themselves in more and more OEM machines, mostly desktops. They seem to have a really good Netbook system they just launched that will bring a CPU war to that anemic market. What they need to do is make sure they don't jeopardize their new friends in the OEM business, over a handful of retail CPU sales at the mid to high end section of CPUs. The one section that has been trending down for years as mobile, super mobile, and handheld computing markets have sky rocketed.

In the end they could loose all the people interested in a high end BD FX Infinity chip and not really notice. But if they have OEM's eating stock, or AMD buying back stock (to keep them as friends) of unused chips because they announced performance numbers for their new line months or even half a year early, then AMD might as well put the gun to its temple now.

its not really 8 full cores. its 4 Floating point cores with 8 integer cores each

Nope, piplines are not cores. Not even sorta kinda. Its modules per AMD and not just for marketing reasons.

Per module the BD FPU can do 4x 64 bit, 2x 128 bit, or 1x 256 bit operations per clock. Given the way past, current, and for at least the foreseeable future software is written (usually 2x 128 bit ops) the single FPU pipe in BD will probably perform like it was "2 cores" most of the time. When AVX takes off things will change but by then BDII will be out.

JF-AMD has addressed this several times in other threads. It is 8 real cores by today's real world definition.

It is because an Integer core is the definition of core. SUN Niagara was an 8 core CPU that had a single FPU.

However, it's kinda of obvious that the 8 core BD will have a hard time competing with 6 and 8 core SB equivalents.

Woo FX's coming back, $1000 AMD CPUs are back! :p

I am expecting a disappointing lineup. They haven't offered up the idea that they will beat Intel's Sandy Bridge from even their perspective. With the chip not coming out till June, I would recommend waiting one or two extra months for the LGA 2011.

I am afraid that if AMD doesn't pull out something good with the bulldozer lineup, Intel may strike a final blow with the LGA 2011 or ivybridge, in terms of enthusiast gaming chips. I would be thrilled if Intel comes out with yet another amazing platform, but that would most likely mean less competition in the foreseeable future(AMD not able to compete), which translates to less performance gains in the foreseeable future.

We should keep in mind though that selling chips to tech savvy people like us who build our pc's and actually care about benchmarks account for probably .001% of AMD's total sales. If they can keep companies like Dell and HP on board they will be okay. Sadly I see the future of AMD being not able to keep up with Intel's benchmarks, but staying alive with under performing chips because they reach the 8 core mark, which sounds nice for marketing.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what is a failure in waiting for :D 1155 is.

You suckers will be waiting longer for a Overclocking 1155 Mobo that can run 2 graphics cards @ once than I will for Bulldozer :D

1155 has been out since late January (They previewed their hardware 6 months b4 this), and still failed [H]ard. There's more CPU's available for that Socket than Total working Motherborads ;)

You can only find 2 motherboards (In stock currently) for it on Newegg. They also are H61 or H67. So that means NO OVERCLOCKING! If you have that junk with a 2500K-2600K chip. :eek:

Sandy Bridge is still junk. OEM's, be hating that junk Intel came up with, and shipped it right back to'em LMAO!, and you fanboys think Intel can make a 8 core SB CPU to compete with BD FX 8 Cores? :p I laugh all day long @ you guys :cool:

AMD is gonna take over the market by not releasing junk like Intels been doing for years, get used to it.

Bulldozer 8 Core is coming before SB 8 core ever will, let alone when is the 4 Core SB Mobos getting fixed? :eek:

2 Sata ports anyone? My SATA 6 ports work fine on my Phenom 2 ;)

Last edited:
I'll tell you what is a failure in waiting for :D 1155 is.

You suckers will be waiting longer for a Overclocking 1155 Mobo that can run 2 graphics cards @ once than I will for Bulldozer :D

1155 has been out since late January (They previewed their hardware 6 months b4 this), and still failed [H]ard. There's more CPU's available for that Socket than Total working Motherborads ;)

You can only find 2 motherboards (In stock currently) for it on Newegg. They also are H61 or H67. So that means NO OVERCLOCKING! If you have that junk with a 2500K-2600K chip. :eek:

Sandy Bridge is still junk. OEM's, be hating that junk Intel came up with, and shipped it right back to'em LMAO!, and you fanboys think Intel can make a 8 core SB CPU to compete with BD FX 8 Cores? :p I laugh all day long @ you guys :cool:

AMD is gonna take over the market by not releasing junk like Intels been doing for years, get used to it.

Bulldozer 8 Core is coming before SB 8 core ever will, let alone when is the 4 Core SB Mobos getting fixed? :eek:

2 Sata ports anyone? My SATA 6 ports work fine on my Phenom 2 ;)

I haven't seen a post like this since the K8 days. Ah the memories...

I dont know if you guys have seen the F@H numbers for a 4x16core server...apparently running 1.8ghz with turbo OFF. But for the WU 6901, it did around 800k PPD. That is quite impressive for BD considering the clock speed.

I can't wait for bulldozer, because that should mean cheap Thubans. :)

This post makes me wonder why some of you gamers feel like you need the fastest possible processor on the market. Games are almost always GPU bound, and don't really need anything all that fast with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 games out there. Even my PII [email protected] is good enough to max every game out. As a result, the slowest processor of all my 3 computers is in the gaming rig with my folding rigs enjoying a Bloomfield and Gulftown.

Sorry i dont fold so relate that score to another processor, speed cores etc...
Is that 32 cores total 800K or what?

I normally do psp or line sieve so... I do DC

Ignore the 800k score, someone simply calculated that based on the time per frame below.
But basically, 4 way interlagos(BD) is 64 cores. 4 way magny cours is 48 cores.
The former yeilds 3:52min time per frame, the latter yeilds 6:40 time per frame.
Another person ... not sure of source, leaked this was on a 1.8ghz ES chip for BD.

A Chinese user got a four way Interlagos bulldozer 16x4 server and leaked the score of Folding@home

http://www.chiphell.com/thread-169088-1-1.html

4 way interlagos turning off Turbo core 2.0, the frequency is unknown
========================================
ubuntu 10.10 server x64
512G DDR3-1333
P6901
Average time/frame: 00:03:52

For comparison, the score of a 4 way magny cours 12x4
Project: 6901
Average time/frame: 00:06:40
CPU: AMD Opteron 6174 @ 2.2 GHz
# of CPU sockets: 4
# of Physical cores: 48

# of FAH CPU processes: 48
# of FAH GPU Clients: 0

RAM GB installed: 32
RAM Type: DDR3 ECC UDIMM
RAM Speed: 1333 (stock JEDEC timings, whatever they are)
NUMA enabled/disabled/not used: Enabled

OS name/kernel version: Fedora 14, 2.6.35.10-k1-pb64-ny
Client: Linux 6.34
Running in VM: No
=====================================

Dammit! I was hoping mid April. :( I guess that's how it goes though. That's alright, it gives me more time to save up some more money for a 6990 too. :D

I git my sandy. Well see how it goes but I doubt it'll beat a sandy/hexcore.

Actually current sales are all they should be worried about. AMD is finding themselves in more and more OEM machines, mostly desktops. They seem to have a really good Netbook system they just launched that will bring a CPU war to that anemic market. What they need to do is make sure they don't jeopardize their new friends in the OEM business, over a handful of retail CPU sales at the mid to high end section of CPUs. The one section that has been trending down for years as mobile, super mobile, and handheld computing markets have sky rocketed.

In the end they could loose all the people interested in a high end BD FX Infinity chip and not really notice. But if they have OEM's eating stock, or AMD buying back stock (to keep them as friends) of unused chips because they announced performance numbers for their new line months or even half a year early, then AMD might as well put the gun to its temple now.

However AMD simply can't sell its current CPUs for enough money. If in a few months they'll have CPUs worth the $800 I paid for an Athlon X2 4800+ in December 2005 (when AMD was profitable BTW) or even more they need to start letting on at least a little bit.

A little late for my tastes, but I'll probably still get one assuming Black Edition less than $400. I would love to go Sandy Bridge for performance reasons, but I need a complete platform. IMHO, the 24 pci-e lanes on an 1155 platform are not enough for my needs.

A little late for my tastes, but I'll probably still get one assuming Black Edition less than $400. I would love to go Sandy Bridge for performance reasons, but I need a complete platform. IMHO, the 24 pci-e lanes on an 1155 platform are not enough for my needs.

Running SLI on 8x/8x vs 16x/16x currently has about a 3% loss in performance. I also wish they would give us more lanes just to be future proof in two or so years, but as of now there is really no benefit.

Back