• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AMD FX overclocking- max safe temperature for OC?

Haswellbeast

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Feb 5, 2025
Messages
593
I have been trying to extract every drop of performance from my AMD fx 8300, and I have gotten a pretty solid O/C so far, 1.49-1.50ish volts (because of LLC) at 5 ghz, which to me seems like a pretty good sample. So far, I have stopped here because my temps hover around 62ish degrees (tctl), And I heard that is the recommended max temperature for this CPU overclocked. I also did hear recently though, that many people have run overclocked FX's at like 70-75c for years without any issue or degradation, albeit at lower clocks and voltages (4.6ish and 1.45v).

If any of you have any experiences or second hand experiences with FX temps and overclocking, I am very curious, because if I have another like 8-10c of headroom, I might actually be able to extract another couple of mhz, and exceed the legendary 5ghz bar.
 
IF irc, i was running my 8350 @4.8 w/ 1.455v and getting ~60c on a 240 aio. youll start getting issues and or locks ups over 70.
 
IF irc, i was running my 8350 @4.8 w/ 1.455vand getting ~60c on a 240 aio. youll start getting issues and or locks ups over 70.
I'm getting my number of 60-62c with a 240 as well. I am really just curious as to if I should even dare trying to go above that, or if I'll degrade the hell out of my CPU and it won't be fun anymore.
 
+1 on the blown vrm with an FX cpu. The sabertooth will handle it though without a problem it was my favorite board for the FX series. Couldn't get my 8300 past 4.65 though no matter how much power it got.
 
+1 on the blown vrm with an FX cpu. The sabertooth will handle it though without a problem it was my favorite board for the FX series. Couldn't get my 8300 past 4.65 though no matter how much power it got.
Yeah, pretty much, especially today, when the crosshair Vs are overvalued due to being the sort of "halo board" the sabertooth seems to be just a cut down crosshair (1 less phase, not as much extreme OC)
 
or burn out vrms... thats how my 8120 died when it tried going past 4.8, but it was only a 990xa board.
Sabertooth motherboard, 8120, I was able to get up to 5.3ghz and run benchmarks, 5.2ghz stable. That was with an AC cooled case pumping in about 0F air. FX8350 was worst at around 4.9ghz, could not keep it cool enough with the needed voltage. The FX 9590 was around 5.1ghz stable but went with all core around 4.9ghz with less need for super cooling. Getting the memory speed up and fsb speed up did more for performance than the higher clocks.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top