AMD FX-60 good enough for Blu-ray playback?

Bakku

Limp Gawd
I recently used some old parts to build a HTPC. I am actually looking to buy a Blu-ray drive right now, but I am not sure if my CPU is fast enough to allow smooth blu-ray movie playback.

My HTPC spec:
AMD FX-60 (2.6GHz dual core)
ATi X1900XT
2GB ram

I am not sure what other things are related to playback performance, let me know, thanks.

btw, I'll be playing movies on a 47" 1080p FullHD TV via DVI port..

Should be fine IMO. I've seen it done on less.

BUT I don't know if your video card does HDCP.

i dont think it does, will that be a problem to play BD contents?

any other software that allows me to playback Blu-ray contents on non-HDCP compliant connections? PowerDVD?

Buy a new video card, a 455o is just a tad over $50 and will work perfectly for playback.

any other software that allows me to playback Blu-ray contents on non-HDCP compliant connections? PowerDVD?

Well AnyDVD HD sort of removes HDCP so that any player can play your Blu-Ray Disc. Most mainstream companies like the makers of PowerDVD or etc will not crack or violate any protection schemes like HDCP.

Getting a new video card isn't a bad option as you can get higher IQ and offload the work to the GPU. I had a 7800gtx with anydvd and while it worked IQ wasn't as good as my new card and I had a few crashes. AnyDVD works, but its not the most convenient solution.

8600GT's work well and are very cheap these days (sub $20 AR). Most of them have HDCP and do H264 decoding.
ATI also makes some really nice cards with HDMI.

JohnleMVP, that's very detailed, thanks for clearing things up for me.

btw, does my TV need to support HDCP as well? or it's just an requirement on the video card?

JohnleMVP, that's very detailed, thanks for clearing things up for me.

btw, does my TV need to support HDCP as well? or it's just an requirement on the video card?

TV, video card and media player.

the HDCP handshake can be a PITA, everything needs to be HDCP compliant... i have even seen some HDMI cables that didnt play well with HDCP (ebay specials)

Just FYI, you can do HDCP over DVI, too. You don't need an HDMI video card to output a HDCP signal. The video signal going over HDMI is exactly the same as a DVI signal; The only difference is that HDMI can transport both video and audio, where DVI is audio-only.

I am not sure if my TV supports HDCP, will have to check on that. in my case, my best bet still is to use a software blu-ray player + AnyDVD HD to bypass HDCP hardware requirement. How do poeple usually cope with this problem when they dont have HDCP hardware?

The FX60 wouldn't be a limitation, it would be the video card if anything. After that the topic just goes back to standard Blu-ray playback issues, as you can see.

Back