AMD Fusion APU Llano Multi-Tasking Demo

You missed the point.

Video encoding is the single best way to isolate and test a CPU's performance. If it can do that well, everything else will follow.
The definition and function of a CPU is a lot less concrete than it was ten years ago.

If we had a program that did video encoding on the GPU and CPU, doing a video encoding test would likely put the AMD system way out in front.

Performance is performance; the end user doesn't care how it comes, especially when it comes cheaply. They don't care what part of the computer did what function, provided they get results.

I can see this being perfect for the mainstream notebook market. Lots of people watch HD things now and do minor gaming, and this'll be enough oomph for general purpose use + GPU use.

All the talk of Sandy Bridge being faster in CPU load is great, but look at the market of people the product will target. How many are going to tax the CPU to its fullest before they tax a GPU to its fullest? The limiting factor for me (especially in the mobile sector) has almost always been GPU long before CPU

Two things..

First, They compare their high end to what is right now a "mainstream" platform. No Sandy Bridge enthusiast stuff till the end of the year. It's like comparing an old 6000+ to a Celeron.

Second, Integrated graphics? Gaming? 3D Rendering? Really?

Fake comparison

You are missing the point. These products are not for neckbeards that drool at the thought of 1 more frame per second on a silly little game. These products are for emerging markets and places where power savings really matter. Calling it shit or whatever your ego drives you to is not going to change the fact that it's been selling out everywhere around the world.

Take for example Japan. Demand for Fusion there has been astronomical, Akihabara sold out of Fusion motherboards within 10 days of release. Rent and utility bills in the city are very high, this product cuts those expenses by a considerable margin. In fact everywhere in east Asia Fusion has been selling like hotcakes because as a platform it delivers everything anyone buying a basic day to day PC requires. AMD is having supply issues due to this demand and has secured an extra 20k 300mm wafers allocation from TSMC to meet this demand. The only downside is the relatively low ASP, but considering they pretty much have no competition in this market they might as well take advantage of it and make up for it with volume.

The only problem is that Bulldozer seems on track to arrive just in time for LGA 2011.

Also, for anyone to post benchmarks AMD has to provide hardware (after you sign a LOT of NDA paperwork) and give permission (per previously mentioned paperwork) to release said benchmarks. I could have a Bulldozer platform sitting right next to me and I wouldn't be able to tell you anything about it unless AMD says so, unless I was in the mood for some nice legal action...

Wikileaks?

Man... So AMD is finally doing some PR on their next generation. Their silence has been somewhat worrying seeing as how they've pushed the Fusion lineup back numerous times.

The only fair comparison is price.

Price is a factor not a determinant.

I won't buy based just on price as I'd be frequently disappointed. I buy for value which is not the same thing as price. It's how much you get for your money not how little you spend.

:cool:

Back