AMD France Lists Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX, Cinebench Score

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
AMD France had accidentally published some information regarding the Threadripper 2990WX early: a Guru of 3D forum member was able to screencap an earlier version of the site, which listed a Cinebench score of 5099 for the 32-core part. Comparatively, Intel’s 18-core i9 7980XE achieved a score of 3,335.

If you scale the Intel part linearly from 18 cores to 32, it would be a score of 5928. Unrealistic to expect linear scaling for sure. AMD has a nice cpu there, wonder what I can sell to raise cash before they launch???

If you scale the Intel part linearly from 18 cores to 32, it would be a score of 5928. Unrealistic to expect linear scaling for sure. AMD has a nice cpu there, wonder what I can sell to raise cash before they launch???

Why not expect linear scaling with Cinebench? IIRC, its coded so that each thread completes a section, so no thread is waiting for results.

Must be because of the overclock, my 7960x is getting 3600+

Rather have a 6+ ghz 4-8 core. :(

If you scale it in the same manner to Intel's 28 core HEDT part they showed off, the score would be 5188.

Seems pretty competitive. Though EPYC overclocked to around 4GHZ has shown better results than these. It begs the question of how 2000 series Threadripper is impacted by memory bandwidth.

I would't be surprised if someone could get the 64 threaded part close to 6000 if they overclocked to its limit in addition to high frequency DDR4.

Your anus :p

giphy (2).gif

Why not expect linear scaling with Cinebench? IIRC, its coded so that each thread completes a section, so no thread is waiting for results.

Well for one Intel can't scale that high with power. The tdw would be insane. So they would have to throttle back max freq to keep heat under control.

Second it all depends on how the threads work. Setting up a thread and switching context a lot on critical regions can slow down threading vastly. But that depends on app implementation.

With Ray tracing this is especially true as regions are not independent as you claim. If you tender a mirror ball in the lower right you are hitting a lot of shared object memory for rays.

I think amd's new Halo threadripper is interesting for sure. I also have been seen a lot of salty Intel Fanboys and an army of paid intel shills whipped up into a frenzy and activated over the leak of the Cinebench scores.

all that tells me is that Intel is crapping their pants if there is this concentrated effort to downplay the results activated at the same time and in such a massive quantity. And it tells me AMD has something really good on their hands.

I think amd's new Halo threadripper is interesting for sure. I also have been seen a lot of salty Intel Fanboys and an army of paid intel shills whipped up into a frenzy and activated over the leak of the Cinebench scores.

all that tells me is that Intel is crapping their pants if there is this concentrated effort to downplay the results activated at the same time and in such a massive quantity. And it tells me AMD has something really good on their hands.

Just going to leave this here...

Forthcoming 28-core Skylake-A would score about 5200--5400. Asus got 6000+ with overclock on prototype.

And remember that CB is a favorable case for AMD Zen:

Cinebench R15 is some sort of a best case benchmark for AMD, that's why it's an outlier.
This.
The IPC difference is abnormally low (5.6% vs. 14.4% average) and the SMT yield is abnormally high (41.6% vs. 28.7% average).

If only power and heat requirement scaled linear with frequency and many cores and threads. Ironically the closest thing to that is probably many smaller cores "glued" together as Intel referenced them as like AMD is doing instead of one massive core where defects are a bigger issue to deal with.

Forthcoming 28-core Skylake-A :
Is it forthcoming? For less than double the price of 2990?, And what actual clocks?

The 7980XE is 2000 and with a base clock of 2.6.

Is it forthcoming?

The roadmap says Q4.

For less than double the price of 2990?

The 16C i9 was less than double the price of TR-1950X (16C). Why would the forthcoming 28C cost more than double the price of TR-2990WX (32C)?

And what actual clocks?

The 7980XE is 2000 and with a base clock of 2.6.

The Gigabyte demo showed a base clock of 2.7GHz.

Last edited:
Whiich 240V industrial water cooler you attaching to that overclocked Intel versus a stock TR?

240nm AIO can OC the 7980XE to 4.3--4.4GHz, but OC a larger better binned die at lower clocks will require industrial? How?

And why are you comparing an overclocked Intel to an stock TR, when a stock Intel would beat the 5099 score?

240nm AIO can OC the 7980XE to 4.3--4.4GHz, but OC a larger better binned die at lower clocks will require industrial? How?

And why are you comparing an overclocked Intel to an stock TR, when a stock Intel would beat the 5099 score?

First off you brought up overclocks not me. And if you are to compare overclock scores it's only fair you compare TR overclocks (which you didn't)

Second you are comparing a TR against a likely vastly more expensive Intel which isn't available and will likely go head to head against zen 2. We don't know squat about it will be capable of.

At least we have actual TR we can test to verify its capabilities. Until we have official hardware and price the Intel is not a valid comparison.

You can't compare vaporware. Benchmark numbers will be out August 13th for the 2990wx. Lets wait to see if Intel will put something out and then test it and see how it stacks up in performance per $.

The money factor for Intel among other things is what is driving me away from them. My son wants to upgrade his i3-6100, I told him we could drop in a 6600 or 6700, the 4c 8t part would be the more logical choice for him (he has a B150 board). He can get a R5 2600 and a good b450 motherboard for less than the 6700 and the cooler isn't a total POS and of course he can overclock it if he wants to.

Man oh man.
What was it; 3 years ago that everyone was saying AMD is doomed, they can't build a competitive processor anymore. Stock is worthless; China might as well buy them out.
All hail Intel; let angles prostrate fall..........

Funny how the tables have completely turned.

Lol, loving the hand waving and channel shitting with 28 core monolithic vapourware.
Yeah, there is a reason it's a 10 grand chip and it won't be out for a while, it's fucking huge and hard to make without defects.
Not to mention the poor scaling and huge heat once it's over the second critical point.
This is where fine glue becomes important and Intel has been caught with their pants down, big time.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
First off you brought up overclocks not me. And if you are to compare overclock scores it's only fair you compare TR overclocks (which you didn't)

Second you are comparing a TR against a likely vastly more expensive Intel which isn't available and will likely go head to head against zen 2. We don't know squat about it will be capable of.

At least we have actual TR we can test to verify its capabilities. Until we have official hardware and price the Intel is not a valid comparison.

I compared the stock TR score of 5099 to stock SKL estimated score:

Forthcoming 28-core Skylake-A would score about 5200--5400.

Roadmap says SKl-A launches in Q4. It will compete with current 2990WX. Zen2 ThreadRipper will compete with Cascade Lake-X or whatever comes after.

I compared the stock TR score of 5099 to stock SKL estimated score:

Roadmap says SKl-A launches in Q4. It will compete with current 2990WX. Zen2 ThreadRipper will compete with Cascade Lake-X or whatever comes after.

And until we have an actual sl 28 core to compare against the latest and greatest AMD for both performance and price, it's vaporware and not valid.

And until we have an actual sl 28 core to compare against the latest and greatest AMD for both performance and price, it's vaporware and not valid.

Lol I read the end "and not delid", I had to actually re-read that portion... still think my version is funnier.

Also the 18 core part is $1,700 it's not like Intel is going to drop a 28 core and be anywhere close to the 2990WX in price. They have a 28 core now and it's close to $9,000. A consumer 28 core will probably be at least $2,500.

Back