AMD Firefox Users

I tried it on my 466Mhz iBook with Firefox 1.0 and that page with the fire on it shot my CPU up to 82% and when I scrolled down it went back down to 7%. That is odd.

Ouch....

Firefox 1.0.6
A64 3000+ @ 2300Mhz
1GB RAM
6800nu

Alternatively you could get Firefox and the Adblock extension and never see it again.

I am using the new fire fox beta. my cpu usage shot up to 56% , then it went up to 80 for a few seconds then gradually went back down to the 50's. With IE its the cpu % barely goes up from 4%. Odd.

beowulf7 said:
No problems with my Intel Pentium M laptop with Mozilla 1.0.5. I will try w/ my Venice 3200+ and Firefox 1.0.6 sometime over the weekend.
Holy crap, the thread starter is right! As I noted above, I had no problems viewing that site and pic w/ my company Dell laptop and Mozilla 1.0.5. But upon trying this w/ my Venice 3200+ and Firefox 1.0.6, CPU usage got pegged to 100%. Also, my CPU temp went up by 1 deg. C. :eek: But the computer didn't appear to be noticeably slower. :confused:

off topic, sorry

I dont use firefox cuz its got a ton of compatibility issues (sites)

Try maxthon, it uses ie6 engine, gives tabbed browsing internal ad blocking (like the ones that scroll across the screen) or banners

todlerix said:
off topic, sorry

I dont use firefox cuz its got a ton of compatibility issues (sites)
That's b/c those other sites are not W3C compliant. :mad:

Try maxthon, it uses ie6 engine, gives tabbed browsing internal ad blocking (like the ones that scroll across the screen) or banners
I've never tried Maxthon but might give Opera a try now that I have it when they gave out licence key codes last week.

Interesting. My Sempron 2600 went up to about 40% usage according to the task manager, then went down and hovered around 5-10.

No issue here

athlon xp 2.5ghz
winXP
firefox 1.5 beta

the beta is nice, much better than 1.06

Just to provide evidence to the NVidia theory, I am running a 6800GT PCI-E video card, so I think that's why the problem is apparent. So can someone who owns an Intel computer but has an NVidia GeForce video card run Firefox and visit that site and let us know what CPU % utilization you're seeing? Thanks.

It seems that site just doesn't agree with certain combos of hardware or drivers. Doesn't seem to be AMD or Intel, nor ATi or nVidia related.

On my P3 1.13 GHz laptop with ATi video, it uses about 80% average CPU in Firefox, and about the same in IE 6.

On my AMD 1600+ with nVidia video, it uses about 30% in Firefox, and 40% in IE 6.

On my AMD 2800+ with ATi video, it uses 40% in Firefox and 100% in IE 6 :eek:

Unknown-One said:
This has more to do with nVidia cards than AMD processors, here's the fix:

think that is likely or some other graphics driver issue
with a KR7a w\ 1800+ and a Matrox G550
11 windows open a buttload of background aps and processes and Im only at 19% CPU usage

using Opera I get about the same 19%
killing that window in either browser drops me to 9%

i tried it with Firefox 1.4 and i got a nasty CPU jump to about 98% constant. I opened the same page using Opera 7.52 and my CPU usage stayed down around 1-2%.

This is on an AMD64 3400+ with a gig of RAM. Maybe that offers a bit of a different angle.

just opened the site, i get 0-5% usage with a bunch of other shit open on a 2.4ghz x2

It is ho-hum nothing here. It works like any other page. I get no perceptible CPU usage at all. I'm running a dual processor machine, though, not that that should matter

start posting what video cards you've got, I'd like to get to teh bottom of this :eek:

I tried to view that site with my old PC, which has the following specs:

- Intel Pentium II 450 MHz (Dell PC)
- NVidia GeForce2 video card w/ 64 MB RAM
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Mozilla 1.0.5

I also noticed a 100% CPU utilization when visiting that site. Once I scroll down so that the animated GIF is no longer visible, the CPU usage drops to 2-3%. :confused:

Blame firefox, not your hardware, or that site.

I've had this problem since I started using firefox. I usually leave a ton of windows with tabs open, and after awhile I'd notice everything became slower. Games would get very choppy, and I'd check the task manager and see my game with like 20% usage, firefox with 80%. It never happened when I used IE. I don't really know the problem, but it seems every animation (ads and images) just take up too much CPU usage, and with many windows open the images in the background windows are still animated.

When I first noticed this, I was using an Thoroughbred AMD XP 2800+ with a nVidia Ti4400 video card and 1GB ram. Around 4 months ago I replaced the video card with a Radeon 9800Pro. I'm still experiencing the same problem, although I do less gaming so I don't care really. The best fix I've found is to utilize adblock extension and block the annoying images, or just close some windows :)

Hope this gets fixed someday.

tried on my newcastle 3500+, 100 usage
then tried on my pent m 1.6 laptop, 2 percent...
so yeah...

oh btw, 6 windows with 13 tabs total, around 10% usage with that site open, 10% usage without it open. That's with Folding@Home running. When I close Folding, a program called Coloreal Bright takes up the same amount of CPU usage as F@H did. Coloreal just adjusts the brightness/contrast of my screen.

Whenever any other program is running, Coloreal goes to 0% usage (except for a few games, sometimes it's screwed up and uses a lot of CPU cycles). I don't know exactly how the CPU usage meter works, but I'm pretty sure if any major program is running, 100% of the CPU will be utilized even if it doesn't need all of it. And if multiple programs are running, the CPU cycles are distributed between the programs, giving more cycles to programs that are more CPU intensive. Coloreal is like a 5mb program installation or something. I highly doubt it fully stresses the CPU...

So the people who are seeing firefox take 100% usage, are you running any other programs? If not I don't think it's a big deal. But if you're multitasking...

I really wish mozilla would fix this problem.

Found the problem.

It's not Firefox, IE, AMD, Intel, nvidia or ati. It's Macromedia. Shutdown the browser, move the files out of your plugins directory, restart and then come back.

When I do that, the CPU utilization stays 0%.

When I put the plugins back, restarted and came back, the CPU utilization started spiking just as everyone seems to be reporting.

Damn newegg ads. =)

possible, but why doesn't IE take so many CPU cycles with macromedia animations running? I still think it's a flaw with firefox.

Sitting here on my PII Mobile @ 366mhz with 256k of full speed cache I'm getting 18-22% cpu usage it has a S3 virge/mx with compaq oem drivers running winxp sp2

2.5ghz barton mobile AMD gets 75% usage with a fx5700le running winxp sp2

2.4ghz Northwood celeron gets 98% cpu usage with and without the intel extreme graphics running win2k sp4

none of these have flash or any macromedia products installed in firefox and I have tried IE6 and IE5 on an older Pentium 233 mobile notebook getting 100%

Ok.... just tried it on my old Winbook XP5, Pentium 100mhz 32mb ram which is running win95b with a cirrus logic 65535 video accelerator. Running Firefox drum roll... 4% cpu usage

2% in Firefox 1.0.6 & AMD 3500+ but I too am running Linux.
I don't have any Windows machines to test this with...

ChingChang said:
possible, but why doesn't IE take so many CPU cycles with macromedia animations running? I still think it's a flaw with firefox.

As Posted earlier by me and a few other people IE does use that many CPU cycles, in fact for me while both peg my cpu hard, only IE acts sluggish while that gif is on the screen.

ChingChang said:
That theory is incorrect b/c when I run Mozilla (which has a larger footprint than Firefox) w/ a Pentium M laptop, that site didn't affect its CPU utilization.

Topweasel said:
As Posted earlier by me and a few other people IE does use that many CPU cycles, in fact for me while both peg my cpu hard, only IE acts sluggish while that gif is on the screen.
I don't know about that specific gif, but I do know that many IE windows open never slowed down my system, but firefox always does. Because of all the animated images.

beowulf7 said:
That theory is incorrect b/c when I run Mozilla (which has a larger footprint than Firefox) w/ a Pentium M laptop, that site didn't affect its CPU utilization.
k

ChingChang said:
Blame firefox, not your hardware, or that site.

I've had this problem since I started using firefox. I usually leave a ton of windows with tabs open, and after awhile I'd notice everything became slower. Games would get very choppy, and I'd check the task manager and see my game with like 20% usage, firefox with 80%. It never happened when I used IE.
Same here. 6600GT, 1.8Ghz winchester core s939.

games would lag so bad, pause and stutter. I went to taskman and the 10 or so windows of mozilla I had open were sucking up the cpu.

I still dont care. Mozilla hasnt crashed on me once yet. IE closes for no apparent reason, as if someone clicked the X while I blinked my eye. Then with the "unexpected error in IE.exe..."...

Back