AMD Failure rates

You can give me all that mumbo-jumbo failure nonsense. I just retired a XFX 2GB 7870 that I overclocked to it's limits Working just fine in my WINXP rig down in my basement. Own an Asus STRIX R390X now & aside from being a power hog, she's doing just fine. Maybe I've been lucky over the years, but I've own Matrox, Hercules, Nvidia, ATI/AMD & no problems with any of them.

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Really impressive hardware that matches the speed of the Nvidia offerings across the board. Only the 980ti has a slight advantage over the AMD offerings in their respective price range. I was playing Just Cause 3 a few minutes ago. Frame rates in the 80's for much of my playtime. It did dip into the 55 - 60 range when I blew up a ton of stuff at once then went right back to 80. I bet it wouldn't even do that if I were running a 5820k like I am considering upgrading to. I'm using settings that are above what the game recommends.

"Slight" lol.

Let's be serious, we all overclock here and max overclock to overclock a 980ti beats a Fury X by about 25-35%.

That is not "Slight"

Let see:

Not any of my ATI/AMD cards have failed even after being given away.

The Nvidia ones that has:
  • 6800GT last about 4 years and failed in friends computer about two years after I used it
  • 8800GTX - lasted me a little over 2.5 years, gave to friend which he really doesn't game that much and it died about 18 months later.

Wrong, 95% of gamers doesn't overclock...
So, educated buyers (those who are smart enough to take advantage of free extra performance) buy Nvidia, and lazy/ignorant buyers get AMD. Got it. :rolleyes:

Anyone reading hardware forums should be smart enough to overclock unless there's some reason they physically can't do it. Those "5% of gamers who overclock" you mentioned represent basically everyone on this forum and other PC forums.

Wrong, 95% of gamers doesn't overclock...

Good point! I don't overclock until the last year of it's life as I try to squeeze everything from it before putting to pasture. My thinking is...if it fails then, no big deal as I got what I wanted from it.

I always find the contrasting opinions interesting. Some people's potential explanation for AMD's high failure rates is that people OC them like mad. On the flip side the defense against buying a 980ti is that you shouldn't take the OC potential into account since only 5% of customers OC. :D

I bet there's a certain brand that drives up the failure rate.

So, educated buyers (those who are smart enough to take advantage of free extra performance) buy Nvidia, and lazy/ignorant buyers get AMD. Got it. :rolleyes:

Anyone reading hardware forums should be smart enough to overclock unless there's some reason they physically can't do it. Those "5% of gamers who overclock" you mentioned represent basically everyone on this forum and other PC forums.

"Educated buyers" hahaha good joke.

Im lazy? i work, i still attending college, i drive a gtr, i own a house, im 32 years old and i able to speak 3 languages...

I think the lazy guy here is that guy who still living with his parents and spend most of his time debating about how better is nvidia LOL. what a waste of time...

Last edited:
I used to OC everything to the max, then I realized it doesn't make a difference in my game play, I either wait until I can max a game out before I buy / play it :p. I still haven't played The Witcher 3, and no amount of OCing a 970 will fix that. CPU OCing I just do mildly now as well, my 4770k is running at 4.2. I guess it was more of a hobby!

I used to OC everything to the max, then I realized it doesn't make a difference in my game play, I either wait until I can max a game out before I buy / play it :p. I still haven't played The Witcher 3, and no amount of OCing a 970 will fix that. CPU OCing I just do mildly now as well, my 4770k is running at 4.2. I guess it was more of a hobby!

Exactly! I notice if you bump-up the CPU (not too much) it doesn't stress it out. GPU's on the hand are more touchy. When it get's up there in age, then it's time to push-it & wait for the next GPU's on the market. I just built my rig 6 months ago & I think the R390X will get me @ least 24-30 months of gaming @ 2560x1440.

Same here, I don't over clock anymore, I upgrade hardware every year so overclocking doesn't do anything for me in the short term.

ditto...

except CPU, i just run whatever OC software the mobo maker has built into the bios and take what they give me.

I never bother with GPUs.

Overclocking a GPU is like having a high maintenance girlfriend. It may improve the "image quality" of your life, but mostly it is just a pain in the ass.

Overclocking a GPU is like having a high maintenance girlfriend. It may improve the "image quality" of your life, but mostly it is just a pain in the ass.

Some astute people on these boards. Most girlfriends/wives run a tad hot anyway (see R390X) Why push them into the drink? Better off letting them have their way most of the time & life will be truly wonderful.

Knock on wood but have only seen Nvidia dGPU failures in laptops. Prefer stability over overclocking so unlikely to ever see desktop dGPU failure.

Never had any of my AMD/ATi GPU's fail, I've owned many. Anecdotally I've only ever had Nvidia cards fail. The Geforce MX 440, GeForce 2 Ti (I think), 8600M GT in my Macbook Pro (broke before recall and class action), and this is when I knew noting FX5200.

My following Radeon cards are either still working or I gave away:
X800XT
x1800gto
2x 7970
2x 290s

Only one 7970 had issues and thats it. But I ran it for quite a while and it only had issues at the very end. XFX was kind enough to fix it all up for me anyway.

Wow, these replies to overclocking. 95% do not overclock? 90% of HardOCP members overclock. I can make up numbers too!

I do not care who makes the card, I will buy the best possible card for the money. If AMD put out a better product I would buy it.

Fact of the matter is, if you want the top performance right now, get a 980ti which beats AMD's best by about 10-15%. If you want even better performance then get a 980ti and overclock it to 1500+ and beat AMD's best OVERCLOCKED by about 25-30%.

I used to only buy ATI when they were a Canadian company and just wanted to support them, figured out it was a dumb idea and now I only buy the best.

Right now and for the last 5~ years that has been Nvidia.

My list of failed cards;

Evga FX5600 - replaced under warranty with a better card
Evga 7900GTO - replaced under warranty with a better card
MSI 8500GT - replaced under warranty
Sapphire X1800XT - I think it was an engineering sample that I got somewhere
Evga 8800gts - replaced under warranty with a better card
Sapphire 270x - 6 months of overclocked mining and it failed, sapphire replaced with a better card
Sapphire 280x - 6 months of overclocked mining and if failed, sapphire replaced with the same card

So, I'd say I'm close enough to 50/50, but the difference was the AMD/ATI cards were all overclocked like mad when they failed. Oddly enough, my really good overclocking Nvidia cards never failed.

Former GPU farm owner here. I'm kind of leaving this here as a reminder so I'll post more later.

I would say mining craze, and it wasn't the GPUs that failed, it was the cooling solution, I had 2 MSI cards, which the fan died on within a month of being run 24/7

(On the other hand, I had gone through 7 290/290x cards that were all reference, without a single failure while mining)

I did purchase a 290x, which crashed in BF4, sapphire did RMA it without a problem though, and I didn't really mine on that card either :)

The interesting thing was at the time MSI was denying RMAs for fan issues and deleted any thread on their forum from mentioning mining. It was 100% hurting their business.

Let see:

Not any of my ATI/AMD cards have failed even after being given away.

The Nvidia ones that has:
  • 6800GT last about 4 years and failed in friends computer about two years after I used it
  • 8800GTX - lasted me a little over 2.5 years, gave to friend which he really doesn't game that much and it died about 18 months later.

I had the exact same cards fail lol.

I'm on a 5870 right now for the last 6 years. Looking to do a complete computer upgrade with a 390.

Back