AMD Eyefinity HDMI Freesync Question (Variable Refresh Test?)

GreenOrbs

Gawd
Over Black Friday, I purchased 3 HDMI-Freesync capable monitors (Dell 27") but am wondering if anyone know how I can tell if Freesync is active in Eyefinity. I am currently running an RX 560 as I really didn't need the 1080 Ti I had previously. Freesync definitely works for 1 monitor but I am not sure if it works for Eyefinity.

I am currently running 1 HDMI directly plugged in and then passive adapters for DP and DVI. I remember reading something about active adapters not working for Eyefinity Freesync and the the best setup is to have at least one DisplayPort for the clock generators. I've poked about but haven't found a definitive answer about whether passive adapters will allow Freesync in Eyefinity (the drivers say it is active).

I remember there being an AMD demo with windmills to visually show if Freesync is on. Does anyone know if a variable refresh demo for Freesync/G-Sync is available anywhere? Would appreciate any info as to where I can find something like that.

I tried the Nvidia demo but it doesn't work with FreeSync. It will run but the only options it allows you to test are No-V-Sync and V-Sync. The G-Sync option cannot be clicked. I saw a Reddit post claiming to link to the Windmill demo but no way am I going to download an unknown .exe from Google Drive and run it.

The Pendulum demo works with FreeSync. The demo doesn't have an option for FreeSync, but FreeSync will work if it's enabled in Radeon Settings. If FreeSync is working, there won't be any tearing with "No VSync" selected. This is more noticeable with the bars test pattern.

The Pendulum demo works with FreeSync. The demo doesn't have an option for FreeSync, but FreeSync will work if it's enabled in Radeon Settings. If FreeSync is working, there won't be any tearing with "No VSync" selected. This is more noticeable with the bars test pattern.

I've tested this with both single monitor (which should have no problems with FreeSync) as well as with Eyefinity using 3 monitors. To make sure, I even unplugged the other two monitors and used the HDMI port one only. Tearing is evident in both the demo and the bars test pattern. I've included image of the Radeon Settings panel below. I'm wondering if NVIDIA updated the demo to no longer allow Freesync. Perhaps the "No Vsync" option actually forces no vsync now or something like that.

The reason I'm so curious about this people were saying adaptive sync makes a big difference in the Vega FreeSync vs. GTX 1080 Ti G-sync thread (https://hardforum.com/threads/blind-test-rx-vega-freesync-vs-gtx-1080-ti-g-sync.1940556/). I'm between GPU's right now (RX 560 is a placeholder until Volta/Ampere or Navi comes out) but I used to have a 1080 Ti. However, knowing if Freesync Eyefinity works with these 3 Dell 27" monitors I got for $80 each on BF will work might affect my next purchase. Basically 3 Freesync monitors ($240) cost less than 1 G-Sync 27" but if it doesn't work on 3 monitors, it won't for me. In which case, there is no reason not to get what will likely be a more powerful NVIDIA GPU.

NOTE: I'm still kind of salty that Simultaneous Multi-Projection basically isn't supported by any games. I was incredible hopeful that SMP would make games less warped on the side monitors when I bought my GTX 1070 to replace a RX 480...but since then only one game has come out supporting that for NVIDIA Surround SMP (iRacing... and I don't play racing games).

Settings.jpg

Last edited:
I've tested this with both single monitor (which should have no problems with FreeSync) as well as with Eyefinity using 3 monitors. To make sure, I even unplugged the other two monitors and used the HDMI port one only. Tearing is evident in both the demo and the bars test pattern. I've included image of the Radeon Settings panel below. I'm wondering if NVIDIA updated the demo to no longer allow Freesync. Perhaps the "No Vsync" option actually forces no vsync now or something like that.
Make sure the fps is within the FreeSync range. You can set a custom fps range in the demo. The SE2717H is only 48-75 Hz, so it doesn't even support LFC to handle less than 48 fps.

Make sure the fps is within the FreeSync range. You can set a custom fps range in the demo. The SE2717H is only 48-75 Hz, so it doesn't even support LFC to handle less than 48 fps.

Thanks for the advice. I was aware of the Freesync range of the monitors so I was testing between 50 and 75 using the FPS sliders but I think I figured it out! Freesync does work but only on the one that is directly plugged in via HDMI without adapters. For the ones with adapters (DVI & DP to HDMI) the adaptive refresh is limited to 48-59 fps which is useless. So technically Freesync is on for the ones with adapters but is basically useless (11 fps range really doesn't help). Finally, to preserve the same refresh on all 3 monitors the system set all monitors to 59 Hz. I pulled out the other two monitors then reset the middle display to 75 HZ and it works. My question is answered...

Pendulum works as a test bench, and sadly HDMI Freesync monitors aren't capable of Eyefinity Freesync. Well, technically Freesync works but it only gives you a 48-59 FPS range without DisplayPort. Oh well, at least now I have Freesync working on my middle monitor for games like Overwatch for example that don't allow triples. This probably means my next card will be an Nvidia one unless we are pleasantly surprised by Navi.

There is a way to increase the FreeSync range on a monitor. Here is an older post on it. Maybe ToastyX or some of the other guys can help you.

Thanks for the advice. I was aware of the Freesync range of the monitors so I was testing between 50 and 75 using the FPS sliders but I think I figured it out! Freesync does work but only on the one that is directly plugged in via HDMI without adapters. For the ones with adapters (DVI & DP to HDMI) the adaptive refresh is limited to 48-59 fps which is useless. So technically Freesync is on for the ones with adapters but is basically useless (11 fps range really doesn't help).
Make sure to set the refresh rate to 75 Hz before running the demo. FreeSync is capped at whatever the current refresh rate is, so if the refresh rate is set to 60 Hz, you will be limited to 48-60 Hz. If you can't set the refresh rate to 75 Hz with the adapters, try my pixel clock patch: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

You shouldn't need the patch if you get active adapters, but you'll need another DisplayPort connection to have all three monitors at 75 Hz because you won't be able to get 75 Hz on the DVI port without the patch. If you're able to get 75 Hz on all three monitors, you can try editing the FreeSync range using my Custom Resolution Utility (CRU): https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

For HDMI FreeSync, edit the extension block and edit the FreeSync data block. Do this for all the monitors. Then reboot and it should use the new range. I don't know what range that monitor can handle. If you can get it down to 37-75 Hz, LFC will kick in and handle frame rates less than 37 fps. If the screen blacks out when the frame rate drops, then the monitor can't handle lower refresh rates.

Hmm, I'll probably have to try the patch since the cheapo card im on currently only has a three outs (DP, HDMI, and DVI). I've got an active adapters from some free after rebate BF sales but only one DP port.

Back