AMD E-450 APU vs Intel Pentium G630T

shanepez

Limp Gawd
Looking at putting together some tiny machines for light gaming (TF2, WoW, LOL), and potentially as a HTPC. I can't find any benchmarks comparing the two.

The options I'm looking at are:
Jetway HBJC700C9J-H61-B
+
Intel Pentium G630T

Or
Foxconn nt-A3700-0H0WBANA
+
AMD E-450 APU

Anyone have any experience?

the intel should be faster, just on the processor side alone it should destroy it.

graphics wise it wouldn't surprise me if the intel was stronger too, that amd only has 80 stream processors, which isn't very many at all.

For any kind of real power I would step up to a mini-itx system with a llano.

I second stealthy's comment, the G630T is faster. It has 30% faster clock speed and its IPC is probably another 30% faster too. Graphics will be more of less the same, but if you add a low-profile GPU the G630T will crush the E-450.

Also Jetway isn't a very good company I would suggest a different manufacturer.

Thanks for all the responses!

I just found out AMD had a newer line of APU's that are a lot better
AMD E2-1800 APU 1.7GHz Dual-Core

Thanks for all the responses!

I just found out AMD had a newer line of APU's that are a lot better
AMD E2-1800 APU 1.7GHz Dual-Core

It's not that much better, the only difference is that the multiplier is a little bit higher, in other it's running at 1.7 GHz instead of 1.65 GHz and the graphics is at 680 MHz instead of 600 MHz. In the real world it's maybe 10% faster than the old E-450, it's still a dog compared to the G630T

Please don't get me wrong, I have nothing against AMD, I have an E-350 netbook that I take to school four days every week and I love it. But it doesn't stand a chance against a real Sandy Bridge part.

That Intel Pentium will DESTROY any Brazos part in the CPU category:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/328?vs=407

And as-linked above the GPU performance will be close.

You will be more likely to be CPU-limited in games with the Brazos platform, which you will not be able to do anything about. But with the Pentium, you will be able to add a graphics card in the future.

If you want to play games at all you will be disappointed with AMD Brazos. It's *barely* capable of playing a select list of today's games at the lowest settings, and you may be left disappointed by coming releases. If you must go AMD embedded graphics, go with a Trinity part (but then they charge a premium for that over your Pentium processor).

Last edited:
Well the GPU benches listed above where far from close. If you dont plan on jetting a Dedicated GPU with the pentium, Gram the APU, But if you do decide to get a dedicated card the pentium is a far better CPU.

Or you could build some trinity computers.

Well the GPU benches listed above where far from close. If you dont plan on jetting a Dedicated GPU with the pentium, Gram the APU, But if you do decide to get a dedicated card the pentium is a far better CPU.

No, you're misreading the benchmarks, or you don't realize that he's trying to decide between BRAZOS and HD 2000.

According to Anandtech:

Despite the name, the Pentium's HD Graphics has nothing in common with Clarkdale's GPU. The GPU is still on-die and it features the same architecture as Intel's HD Graphics 2000 (6 EUs). Performance should be pretty similar as it even shares the same clock speeds as the HD 2000 (850MHz base, 1.1GHz turbo for most models). I ran a quick test to confirm that what Intel is selling as HD Graphics is really no different than the HD Graphics 2000 in 3D performance:

5ipXl.png

And if you look at these benchmarks here, the Brazos GPU either matches or gets beaten by HD 2000.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4134/the-brazos-review-amds-e350-supplants-ion-for-miniitx/5

I'm all for recommending Trinity, but that's in an entirely different price bracket. But Brazos is no match for the Pentium G630T in either GPU or CPU!

I second stealthy's comment, the G630T is faster. It has 30% faster clock speed and its IPC is probably another 30% faster too. Graphics will be more of less the same, but if you add a low-profile GPU the G630T will crush the E-450.
I'm betting the Pentium is even faster than that. The Brazos is based on a stripped down version of the old K8 cores from the Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 x2 days for power savings kind of like how Intel's Atom was based on the old Pentium 2's. If it were based on K10 (Phenom I and II, Athlon II) or newer, it would stand a chance.

Don't get me wrong, the E-450's are pretty decent for 90% of workloads out there.

Oh i thought the 450 had the 6530d Yeah i guess so. Well in that case im going to take my foot out of my mouth. Trinity or even desktop 1155 shouldn't be far out of his price range.

Back