AMD Dual Fiji Announced? AMD Pro Duo!

KazeoHin

[H]F Junkie
AMD Announces the Radeon Pro Duo

Radeon%20Pro%20Duo%20(5)_575px.jpg

AMD is spinning this as a development-focussed workstation-class card, from the press release. I'm much more open to the more reserved naming, as it sounds much more confident than naming something to attract angsty teenagers. This may be the first of a few dual-Fiji products to hit the market, with such a pro-focus, could more gaming-focussed products possible in the future?

Looks like a dual-Fiji card with 3(!)8-pin PCI-E power. Hello 500+ watts!

Yikes! more than 2 Fury X cards, but such are MOST dual GPU cards at launch.

I really wish AMD had a CPU that could fully support their GPUs potential... A flagship system like that should be ALL AMD based. Makes me sad

It's a maingear rush. Not sure if they sell it empty but complete system start at $1999 :/

It's a maingear rush. Not sure if they sell it empty but complete system start at $1999 :/

Not a bad price for the whole system but a complete joke at $1500 a card. Unless this thing has significant advantages over 2 individual Fury cards there is literally no point to buying it other than a couple of unicorn/niche use cases and the die hard AMD fan.

They should not have sat on this so long.

I count myself an AMD fan but I'd rather wait a couple months and buy one or two Polaris cards at this point

EDIT: If $1999 doesn't include the Pro Duo then I'm not seeing much of an upside

Last edited:
The $1999 is the starting price of systems with that case on their site. Not for that AMD showcase.
I just went looking to see what it was...

The card looks pretty awesome. Perfect card for op mini-itx builds.

yea its sure is a pretty red case lol and that cable management is clean as fuck..card looks kind small for a dual gpu one. Is that some kind of 240mm rad the cards using on the front?

"AMD announces absolutely terrible looking case; people more interested in the mystery GPU inside"

Maybe that's how they ought to do it :p

with the next nvidia gpu not yet released, and the recent good scaling in at least far cry this card looks good. Though i am keen to see what nvidia pulls off with hbm2.

Let's see if the price drops to $650 like the last batch of 295x2's....

If they do, I will plop more money down for two of them.

The card looks pretty awesome. Perfect card for op mini-itx builds.

Well, I guess.. but that power connector requirement basically rules out any SFX sized PSU so you are going to have to probably go full ATX PSU.

I was hoping this would have good performance so I can pick up a single card instead of having two 980Ti's. But that's rather low performance on Firestrike Ultra. Only 6200 points. I got 7600+ on my SLI 980Ti.

Sexy as hell, looking forward to seeing what EK, AquaComputer and WaterCool come up with as far as custom blocks go. It's going to be really hard for me to justify anything 28nm this late in the game considering it'd be my 3rd or 4th card on the process but I understand why they delayed the launch to coincide with the Rift/Vive.

Depending on early numbers I may be picking up this and a Vive come late April/early May. If not, there's some 4K displays and a Polaris/Pascal or two in my future.

I was hoping this would have good performance so I can pick up a single card instead of having two 980Ti's. But that's rather low performance on Firestrike Ultra. Only 6200 points. I got 7600+ on my SLI 980Ti.
Well, I mean, wasn't your SLI setup overclocked when you ran the benchmark?.

I do wish the Pro Duo had a bit more performance though. I run a 6600K with a small overclock, and Fury X's in Crossfire with no overclock, and my Fire Strike score was a few hundred points higher than it achieved.

Well, I mean, wasn't your SLI setup overclocked when you ran the benchmark?.

I do wish the Pro Duo had a bit more performance though. I run a 6600K with a small overclock, and Fury X's in Crossfire with no overclock, and my Fire Strike score was a few hundred points higher than it achieved.

Yeah, but I had similar dual cards before. They just don't overclock well.
And Fury X doesn't overclock well. A card like this with two extremely powerful GPU's next to each other are going to create more heat, so overclock will be worse than with X-Fire Fury X.
I really want AMD to succeed, but this is too late and too expensive. Although as someone said before, it could be a great buy once Polaris/Pascal land since the price will be like halved.

I say just buy two Nano's and wait for the true next generation high end. I don't think performance would be drastically that much different.

Wow what a worthless card! I would rather get 2 980ti's, Or hell 2 Nano's, If I was going to go that route.

Why didn't they put 2 polaris 10's (the new high-end) and release it in June.

Looks like RTG is going to AMD still

Wow what a worthless card! I would rather get 2 980ti's, Or hell 2 Nano's, If I was going to go that route.

Why didn't they put 2 polaris 10's (the new high-end) and release it in June.

Looks like RTG is going to AMD still

The only issue I have with this is... why the wait? Did it REALLY require THAT much R&D to take 8 months to release this? They say that they want to release it 'in line' with VR headsets, but why? Why is it so imperative that the product comes out at the same time!? If this came out 5 months ago, everyone would have lost their minds!

so for 2k - i can get this and a oculus rift?

hmmm AMD is crazy - the price needs to fall to 999

The only issue I have with this is... why the wait? Did it REALLY require THAT much R&D to take 8 months to release this? They say that they want to release it 'in line' with VR headsets, but why? Why is it so imperative that the product comes out at the same time!? If this came out 5 months ago, everyone would have lost their minds!

I think because Q3/Q4 of last year the trend seemed to be that Dev's weren't utilizing AFR anymore and some newer AAA's straight up just didn't have support for multi-GPU. Bad juju for either camp if 3/4 of the latest big releases won't run well (if at all) on their $1000+ halo card.

Multi-GPU has very legitimate use cases in VR and VR itself has the ability to create a entirely new multi-million/billion dollar market and eco-system. AMD chose to play the card to its absolute strengths and if you've payed attention they have been getting really aggressive, designed an entire devkit around this card and VR.

They probably also knew that they would excel in DX12 and just as more and more DX12 games / codepaths are being released they are going to drop this card amidst all the positive buzz.

It makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Adding to what TheBlueChanell said, they (probably) didn't want the Radeon Pro Duo release to "steal thunder" away from Polaris (and thus cannibalize that line), so they (on this low-volume, "halo product") decided on targeting (investing, really) the VR segment heavily (especially developers), which gives room for Polaris to stand on its legs. Somewhat complex line of thought from AMD, but one that I like, since the Radeon Pro Duo will go to where it's of most use, while the rest of us have Polaris (or Polaris in Crossfire).

Let's see if the price drops to $650 like the last batch of 295x2's....

If they do, I will plop more money down for two of them.

it's a niche card, doubt the price will drop at all and most likely a pretty limited supply.

and i agree with what TheBlueChanell and tungt88 had to say, does make a lot of sense to release it now.

I have never seen good frame time data for quad GPU sli/crossfire systems. Three GPUs is usually a crap shoot. Dual GPU can be tempting at times.

I always wondered if frame limiting would help with frame times. I personally use vsync because I can't stand tearing. If you max out at 100FPS, would limiting to 80 even out your frame times completely.

Anywho I never cared for dual GPU cards on a single card. I don't need to spent hundreds more for gimped performance and VRMs.

I think because Q3/Q4 of last year the trend seemed to be that Dev's weren't utilizing AFR anymore and some newer AAA's straight up just didn't have support for multi-GPU. Bad juju for either camp if 3/4 of the latest big releases won't run well (if at all) on their $1000+ halo card.

Multi-GPU has very legitimate use cases in VR and VR itself has the ability to create a entirely new multi-million/billion dollar market and eco-system. AMD chose to play the card to its absolute strengths and if you've payed attention they have been getting really aggressive, designed an entire devkit around this card and VR.

They probably also knew that they would excel in DX12 and just as more and more DX12 games / codepaths are being released they are going to drop this card amidst all the positive buzz.

It makes sense to me.

I think what you are saying is correct, but for a general consumer product at this price point it is very high for VR. For a developer or company to develop on it is a good price point if the latency savings from dual gpu on a board savings is necessary for VR that it could only be developed on this type of board vs a Xfire setup, which I don't think is that necessary for development (ya don't need high performance for development, its nice to have but not a necessity)

Titan X, nV stated had much more demand (I don't know how true this is but it seemed likely) than most top end enthusiast cards in recent history, the issue with introducing such a card like Fury Pro this late, the target has to be for developers no general consumer will be buying this for only VR solutions because of the limited amount of software and the close release to next gen products. It would have been better to introduce this card like originally planned in q4 of last year which is what AMD stated when releasing the Fury line.

Can't wait until this becomes available for purchase. Time to get even better 4k and VR

should have called it the "MEGA EXTREME ULTRA FURY PROX2 PLATINUM"

Or just buy two Fury X's now and get better performance at a way better price?

Only have two slots available due to RAID controller and PCI-e SSD. Going quad not cross. The same can be said about 290X vs 295X2: anyone looking at dual gpu cards and comparing in terms of price is an idiot. These are never for anyone on a budget, as with any halo card.

Back