AMD Drivers Causing Boot BSOD?

SidewinderX

2[H]4U
I'm sad to say that the more and more I use my 5850, the more and more I wish I had gotten something else...

I've realized that I'm having a regular BSOD with my computer as it boots up.... Here's the timeline

1 - Computer is off, I hit the power button
2 - Computer boots up, starts to load Windows (pre-login screen)
3 - Computer BSODs, autoreboots
4 - Computer boots up, gets to login screen, and I login
5 - Windows greets me with the "you had a problem" screen with some of the details.

That happens every time I start it from being off. Once it boots up the second time it seems fine. I downloaded a BSOD analyzer tool and the BSOD code is 0x00000116. The tool lists the files that caused the problem, and the top three are atikmpag.sys, dxgkrnl.sys, and dxgmmsl.sys.

I'm running the Cat 10.8 on my XFX 5850. It's Windows 7 Pro x64. Intel E8400, Corsair VX550 PSU.

Any ideas?

Reinstall the drivers, here's a safe way.

-Get the last version of Driver Sweeper. http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
-Uninstall Ati display drivers.
-Reboot and run Safe Mode.
-Run Driver Sweeper. Clean Ati Display.
-Reboot again, normal mode.
-Install drivers.

Maybe you have to reboot again. Should work perfectly.
Good luck.

I've had this happen before. It happened when I swapped vid cards without uninstalling the drivers 4850 > 4870. All I had to do was reinstall the drivers.

Reinstall the drivers, here's a safe way.

-Get the last version of Driver Sweeper. http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
-Uninstall Ati display drivers.
-Reboot and run Safe Mode.
-Run Driver Sweeper. Clean Ati Display.
-Reboot again, normal mode.
-Install drivers.

Maybe you have to reboot again. Should work perfectly.
Good luck.

Ok, I did that, and it seemed to work for 1 or 2 restarts. Then the same problem started happening.

I then updated to the latest drivers, and I'm still having the problem. Any other ideas?

Were you using an Nvidia card (or Nvidia integrated) before that 5850?
In that case you should also clean Nvidia drivers with Driver Sweeper.

Other choice is to update BIOS for the video card and mobo.

Update your motherboard bios

Check your bios settings and make sure your video settings are set up correctly. Primary video PCIe etc..

Update your motherboard drivers (chipset drivers)

Uninstall all video drivers

Do a clean install of the AMD Cat driver with your antivirus software disabled

Also what kind of power supply do you have?

Are you running a physx card as well? I get freezes on the windows screen on the first boot of the day when I have my 8800GT in as a physx card.

Are you on stock settings? ie. no ocing
It sounds like it could be ur psu or ram

I've got the Corsair VX550 PSU.

Everything is stock, although I have a 5Mhz OC on the video card to prevent some 2D crashes I was getting.

Nope, before I had the 5850 I had a 3870. No PhysX or nVidia in this machine.

Just to make sure everyone is clear, it's not a BSOD/reboot loop; it BSODs once at the first boot, automatically restarts and doesn't have any issues. It doesn't get stuck in the BSOD loop or anything.

I just fixed a PC at work that was having frequent BSODs and it turned out to the ATI driver. I uninstalled it and couldn't reinstalled it due to an error. Had to reinstall 2005 C++ redistributable package and then could reinstall driver. Now all is well.

run sfc /scannow from the command prompt as an admin and report back what that says. I had issues with those drivers just not causing BSODs at start but when running games. Is your PSU big enough for your overall computer, just a thought.

I've had similar problems with several systems.

For some reason, they would sometimes BSOD *once* when booting up "cold", reboot automatically, and then start up fine. After this, they were completely stable even when performing a soft reboot or stress test. Even turning them off and immediately turning them on without letting them cool down was fine, but if I left them off for several hours, the problem would sometimes re-appear.

This happened with my Shuttle system with an Athlon64 3500+, with my Asus M2A-MX with an Athlon X2 4800+ (but only when overclocking past 2.9 GHz), and with my current system when I was using a Phenom 9650 instead of my current CPU and a 4850 instead of the GTX460. With my current CPU and several BIOS updates later, there are no problems, and there were none with the 4850 installed, either. I always blamed it on memory or memory controller problems, as increasing the RAM voltage slightly seemed to help. I also upped the voltage of the Hypertransport link and Southbridge just to be sure, as I imagined it helped.

0x116 points to a VGA error, but it can be caused by several different things.

The three drivers you listed point to different remedies:

atikmpag.sys - uninstall, driversweep, reinstall catalyst
dxgkrnl.sys
dxgmmsl.sys - Both of these drivers are Direct X related Click Here to download any missing Direct X files you may have. Reboot after.

Give that a try and let us know.

i know how lame driver issues can be: hope things work out for you.

Back